What was your first (PC) computer, 286,386?

Associate
The first time i was blown away by PC graphics was the Unreal intro on 3dfx. Just :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLBgaLOi7N4

Incredible for the time. First time seeing anything like it. I remember watching a tech demo for Unreal after it was released and still being blown away - first time things like mist, smoke, reflections and water had been used like that in a game

Totally agree was utterly amazing at the time, would love to see a modern true sequel to Unreal.

Associate
Oldest PC I have used is a 286 at my uncle's house. Oldest computer I have used for any serious amount of time was a 386 DX 33 also at my uncles. Oldest computer I ever owned was a Commodore Amiga 500 with the RAM expansion. It was glorious and horrible at the same time. No HDD! And the floppies were DS/DD... 700 some odd KB. The horror. People forget how mind melting the Amiga was when it came out in 1985. SNES quality graphics a full 6 years before SNES. In the home. Amaze-balls.

Sadly the Amiga lived free and died hard in North America. It was impossible to find software post 1992 for the most part and even before that it was a niche machine that never really caught on. NES/SNES/Genesis (mega drive) were the things to have here. Nobody cared about gaming on computers until like Win 95 around here. People had such a lack of vision and they didn't know what they were missing (Like the Lucasfilm flight/space sims for example)

Totally agree was utterly amazing at the time, would love to see a modern true sequel to Unreal.

Unreal blew my mind utterly and completely. Sadly I got stuck half way through the game at a puzzle type thingy and gave up.

Games that have blown my mind, btw, in chronological order:

Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
Wrath of the Demon (Amiga)
Street Fighter II (Arcade/SNES)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES
Super Mario 64 (N64)
Goldeneye (N64)
Incoming (PC)
Unreal (PC)
Halo (Xbox)
Far Cry (PC)
Hitman 2 (PC)
Crysis (PC)
Metro 2033 (PC)

Last edited:
Soldato
Compaq Presario P90 (586). Think it had a 800mb HD, 8mb RAM and 1mb Video (Cirrus Logic). Came with Loderunner and Kings Quest 7 (great games!).

Got online around same time, initially Compuserve then AOL

Associate
First PC we had as a family was a Pentium 1 133MHz with 16MB of ram and a 2GB hard drive (I think).

First PC I built for myself at the age of 16 was an Athlon XP 3000 with 512MB Ram and a Geforce FX 5600 (I knew very little about GPUs back then). I remember being blown away by how well it could run C&C generals

Back
Top Bottom