What would be any alarm bells with an import?

Associate
Just noticed this prius

So it was imported last year, its a 2012 car. Being an import would that give any issues re spare parts in the future. What, if anything, would be on your mind with an imported car?

Cheers in advance

Man of Honour
Most of the parts on it should be the same as a UK car, although there will be differences like indicator stalks.

Radio/Nav may not work with UK frequences or may display in its home language (presumably Japanese).

The big question I would have is - why was it imported? I understand and have owned imports of cars we don't get (Nissan Stagea 250t RS for example) but why did someone go through the hassle of importing one of these?

Soldato
Having owned several Japanese imports i'd say only buy one if you can't get that model in the UK and really really want it.

There'll be lots of small subtle differences which add up to be a pain, first off is insurance as only some companies will probably cover it and usually for more money than a domestic car.

Then indicators being on the opposite side than you're used to, stuff like the fuse box being in Japanese which is a right pain when you need it, the radio only picking up Radio 2 and all the menus being in Japanese.

Most of the parts will be the same but maybe not everything, brakes for example can be different sizes for different markets so it *could* have brake disks which are hard to find in the UK for example.

Also some Japanese cars aren't undersealed like UK cars so can rust far far more easily with our salty roads unless treated when imported.

Last edited:
Soldato
while not a car a lot would think worst importing, they often are cheaper in Japan and make sense to import to uk. Other thing is usually underbody etc will be a in a much better condition rust wise than uk cars.

Running wise it’ll be very similar other than sat nav etc being different and some little areas being different on jdm car. Some spec can be unique too. It wouldn’t put me off buying at all. I have owned multiple imports.

Soldato
I wouldn't bother unless it's something you can't get here. I had an imported Alphard and while I never had any problems getting parts, insurance was a bit more of a hunt. Car was in incredible condition for it's age. Manuals and fuse box info had to dig around on owners club forums etc.

That said, I would totally own an import again, it's not that big a deal. But only worth the extra faff if you can't buy a UK version.

Man of Honour
A fair proportion of Prius' are jap imports. Its a fairly lucrative trade for those with the connections, i know a few big yards in the west midlands that are filled with Prius, estima/previa and Leafs. Honda Jazz/fit are another one thats popular as an import.
I'm curuous if you know why - My guess with that list is either as Taxis - or because all the UK cars are already taxis ?

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Yeah pretty much all of them end up as taxi’s. I’ve not seen a Prius that’s not a taxi, generally driven by someone that’s found their driving license in Kelloggs carton :p

Seriously though, my dad had a 2018 model, which he ended up breaking. We had either cab drivers coming to us, or the importers. Importers get them plated up for taxi and then rent them out.

I can see why they are popular, they are stupidly reliable, the drive train is bullet proof. It’s dull but very decent for family duties.

Man of Honour
Yeah pretty much all of them end up as taxi’s. I’ve not seen a Prius that’s not a taxi, generally driven by someone that’s found their driving license in Kelloggs carton :p
:D :D
Seriously though, my dad had a 2018 model, which he ended up breaking. We had either cab drivers coming to us, or the importers. Importers get them plated up for taxi and then rent them out.

I can see why they are popular, they are stupidly reliable, the drive train is bullet proof. It’s dull but very decent for family duties.
Ah awesome, thanks - yeah makes sense :) I had a 200k+ Lexus GS450h that I put 80k miles on myself - so can see the attraction of the drivetrains for that sort of work

Last edited:
Soldato
I was once told (and I have no evidence to support this) that the Japanese have tough export rules and there are a number of companies that process cars to look a lot better than they really are. This includes dodgy repair work and winding clocks back. Many imports look good, but in fact are mechanically in far worse condition than everything suggests.
I bought one once, and it was in amazing condition, it only had 35000m on the clock. But a thorough mechanical examination by an expert, suggested that the real mileage was closer to 100,000m. And there is not a damn thing you can do.

Last edited:
Associate
Seems rather cheap doesn't it for that milage on a prius? Even for a import? I think most common now for models like that is milage clock back I believe this can be checked in Japan if you have the original export papers or auction house papers.

Associate
Seems rather cheap doesn't it for that milage on a prius? Even for a import? I think most common now for models like that is milage clock back I believe this can be checked in Japan if you have the original export papers or auction house papers.
the problem is they come in kms so to change to miles you need a euro dump , thats when the lazy people either alter the mileage/dont bother. used to deal with a import centre sorting out differences to get the through testing many times the clock guys would have problems ahem)))

Back
Top Bottom