What’s the longest non-stop flight you’ve taken - distance or time?

Soldato
London to LAX which was about 12hrs

Manchester to Hong Kong which was about 12hrs 30mins

Both in cattle class.

Get drunk, try and sleep, watch films.

I did Manchester to Bangkok via Dubai which I actually found worse. Having a 2hr stop-over in the middle was just depressing with the thought of having to get on again for 7hrs for the second leg. Longer direct is better imo. We did then jump an internal flight from Bangkok to Krabi straight after too, long day!

Last edited:
Associate
11 hours London to Las Vegas. On virgin. I am 6'2" and leg room is important it was better than 5 hours back from Egypt on a cheapo budget package flight.

Associate
I've done London to LAX 3x and never clocked it was that long.

Heathrow to Hyderabad was 10:40, I've done that three times too and am counting that as my longest.

I get to around 7 hours and have strong urges to get off the plane. Sub-optimal. 0 idea how you get to Oz :D

Soldato
Flew London to Buenos Aires last month. It stopped en route in Rio so not technically non-stop, but we weren't allowed to get off the plane whilst other passengers departed, the plane was cleaned, and new passengers got on. 16.5 hours in total but at least it was a night flight so sleeping helped pass the time.

Associate
My longest flight was from London to Vancouver but the most uncomfortable was 7.35 hours from Lossiemouth to Bermuda as I was strapped into a Martin Baker Ejection seat in the back of a Buccaneer! God my butt was sore by the time we reached Bermuda. Two lots of Air-to-Air refuelling as well.

The mistake you made there was not being on the tanker - not that I'd have said no to a back seat in a Buccaneer, but you can't beat having a widebody jet to wonder around in...

Loving how many of these replies are military flights, a fair few of which I've done myself. Doing a Falklands freighter trip on the TriStar over 4 days was fun - especially with the badminton court set up on the way back...

Associate
I flew Air Micronesia (a rebadged Continental Airlines plane) from Hawaii to Truk (now Chuuk). By the time I got there, we'd touched down at Johnston Atoll, Majuro, Kwajalein, Kosrae, Ponape (now Pohnpei), and were not allowed off at any of them. There was a technical problem with the plane when we landed at Kwajalein, which took a few hours to sort out. All the US citizens were allowed off, but not anyone else. By the time we got to Chuuk, there was an element of chasing the sun because some of the airports (more like airstrips) couldn't accommodate night landings. The final destination was Guam, with at least one more stop on the way (Yap, I think. I'm sure there was another one, but can't remember now). It was an exhausting day. The published flight time from Hawaii to Guam was around 13 hours, but it was around 13.5 just to get to Chuuk

The previous year I'd gone to Pohnpei, and we had to do 2 fly arounds at Majuro because some locals were wandering around on the runway. That plane was part cargo, literally with chickens in the back - not quite Indiana Jones, but it had that feeling

Both planes had life rafts in the cabin attached to the ceiling of the aisle - on one of the flights, one of them was partly shaken loose and one end dropped to the floor. I was in a right fug with my mind looping "there's no air/sea rescue, there's no air/sea rescue......"

Soldato
Beijing (the new one) back to Heathrow last Friday, 10.5 hours and only the last 20 mins did my legs start complaining I'd been sat down too long. Should have paid for the upgrade though, at 6'4" poverty class is a struggle when the small idiot in front of me tilts the seat back to sleep the entire flight and give him self jet lag

Soldato
Mainly military, but yeh I think the Falklands is the longest flight, even though technically it's two flights as you stop somewhere in between, I've managed to stop at Cape Verde and Senegal on route to Falklands as the time I was down there Ascension runway was out of service.

Sure it was 6/7 hrs first stink then 9/10hrs second stint.

All other flights I've been on have always been chopped up into 2 or 3 flights, as for literally longest time sat on a flight I'd say 9/10hrs.. that is definitely enough for me, couldn't sit on a civvie flight for 12+ crammed in.

Soldato
My top 5:

Heathrow to Hong Kong, then HK to Sydney.
Heathrow to Shanghai, then Shanghai to Sydney.
Heathrow to San Fransico.
Heathrow to Miami.
Heathrow to JFK.

So LHR to HKIA is the longest single-leg at just under 13 hours. It made the 9-hour leg from HKIA to SYD feel short. :D

Soldato
My top 5:

Heathrow to Hong Kong, then HK to Sydney.
Heathrow to Shanghai, then Shanghai to Sydney.
Heathrow to San Fransico.
Heathrow to Miami.
Heathrow to JFK.

So LHR to HKIA is the longest single-leg at just under 13 hours. It made the 9-hour leg from HKIA to SYD feel short. :D
HKIA?

Didn't know they stopped off at Hamid Karzai International Airport... :)

Soldato
Probably Singapore from Heathrow, think it's probably 13-14 hours.

Done plenty of 10/11 hour flights to various places, last one was 2 days ago infact back to Heathrow from San Diego.

Absolutely hate long haul flights, can't sleep. Night flights don't help, just sat there like a zombie for 10 hours. When we go on holiday to Asia I always always go via Dubai with Emirates so that it's only a 6/7 hour hop till you get to get off the plane and mooch a bit, much better way to do it!

Back
Top Bottom