When are you going fully electric?

Associate
Does anyone use v2L for stuff? I've done a bit of googling and looks like the kia niro can handle a 13A socket but might struggle for anything with a surge in current at start like a motor with direct start (lawnmower or the like). Does it really just work? Car currently away so haven't been able to run out and plug the kettle in for the sake of proving to myself it works just yet.

I want to run a PA system off of it for a few hours for an event in a few weeks, PA systems are generally very low load aren't they? We're hiring a big battery pack as well as a back up just in case but would be ideal if the car works.

Soldato
i cant remember the episodes but i think Fully Charged have taken EVs on camping trips and run stuff off them. if the car has a 3pin socket or comes with an adapter i dont see why they wouldnt work.

Soldato
Does anyone use v2L for stuff? I've done a bit of googling and looks like the kia niro can handle a 13A socket but might struggle for anything with a surge in current at start like a motor with direct start (lawnmower or the like). Does it really just work? Car currently away so haven't been able to run out and plug the kettle in for the sake of proving to myself it works just yet.

I want to run a PA system off of it for a few hours for an event in a few weeks, PA systems are generally very low load aren't they? We're hiring a big battery pack as well as a back up just in case but would be ideal if the car works.
a PA system will be fine if it’s able to be run from a 13A socket.

Caravaners are powering their caravans from them for whole weekends without issues. If the battery was full it would probably do a week or more.

Caporegime
i have seen various posts warning of not being stuck with a betamax like EV yes!.

Right, but that's not really the same as "a flick of a switch and "dumb" chargers are not allowed to work any more" is it? I don't think anyone is saying that. As I said above, I do think current chargers will be outdated; but they're not going to banned or switched off they're just going to be superseded - like Betamax.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went to the second Late Brake Show live, they were powering the stage off a Nissan Leaf.
The leaf is a slightly different beast as chademo is really well supported for bidirectional charging.

In the Fukushima nuclear disaster entire fleets of nissan leafs were used to power rescue efforts. its the 1 area where chademo has been better than CCS. it has took ages for bidirectonal charging to come to Type 2 cars.

nissan leafs were massively ahead of their time imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wont offer real experience then and we can have a Plato Pope session of theorising together if you want?

Yes, its offers Vehicle to Load though, it was more complicated as comes out the car as DC so needs a dedicated £4000 WallBox Quasar to covert back to AC. In China cars have CHAdeMO and Type2 of sorts through the GPT... CCS has a tighter control on handshake protocol which is why its taken longer as aswell as the ambition of the users. When it comes it will be a lot simpler than the 'ahead of its time' CHAdeMO, whatever that is supposed to mean, the car doing the rectification back to AC is whats needed, Otherwise its just a connector with hot wires back to the battery 400DC. Ala Leaf.

Check out the Ioniq 5 video he did for simple way it works - makes the feature mobile. Vehicle 2 Grid is exactly that, tied to the grid with hardwire. No good for a bit of a remote landscaping project :cry:

In rush is interesting for stuff like a lawn motor but then they are rarely above 1000W and v2L @ 16A will cover 3kW, i assume thats enough headroom

Soldato
You tell intelligent octopus how much you want and by when in the app. It sorts out the rest, charging the car when there is the most (cheapest) leccy. It remembers your settings and thus is as you described.

Literally to small 10-15 minute slots.

That's with current charging technology.

You are describing what currently exists already, either in car or even supported in an old charger like mine which is half a decade old.

You’ve literally just described Octopus Intelligent and Ovo Anytime (I’m sure there are others).

that is *exactly* how it works with intelligent octopus.
Well, consider me educated! I didn't realise that the current API's were able to switch on and off in such a granular way as that, I thought it was simply a window during which your car charged for a suitable duration.
The problem with stuff like Intelligent Octopus can be seen by going to the FAQs on their website and scrolling down to the models of cars currently having issues. Because it is totally dependent on them working with each suppliers apps rather than being a general solution, it will also have problems with scalability and transferability. That said, I don't think the functionality that @lordrobs is talking about would require new charging hardware, and I think stuff like Intelligent Octopus demonstrate why.
Yeah to be honest my thought that chargers may change in the future was based on meeting someone from the local DNO who talked about the future of managed supply to domestic chargers. He made it sound like this would be done at a local supply network level, not piecemeal by individual suppliers.
Octopus Kraken is waving.

Imagine having such a negative view of current hardware based on your assumption of products that might be on the future when its actually the now and you use the caveate 'AFAIK'...
Who said I had a negative view? That isn't the same thing as having the 'imagination' that potentially things may change in the future.

And yes, as far as I know there aren't any charge points that can be effectively duty cycled on and off during a particular timeframe by external control from the grid. I don't claim to have an encyclopaedic of such things though so I did caveat it, what is wrong with that?

Still... makes a change from you being all over jpaul I guess.
the future of intelligent octopus is probably by controlling the chargepoint not the cars.....
Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to. As I say, my speculating was based on the impression the chap from the DNO gave when talking about the flaky local network when we are way down the line with EV adoption.

Soldato
I don't see why the idea that current EV 'chargers' might be superceded in the future is so unbelievable.

I get the feeling that current home electric chargers are going to end up being one of those things like phone ports or coax tv aerials that people buying houses in the future are going to wonder what they are for.
Ha, it was you! No wonder you are getting all emosh. Not sure if that fits the 'to explain is not to excuse' brief?

Last edited:
Soldato
Who said I had a negative view? That isn't the same thing as having the 'imagination' that potentially things may change in the future.

And yes, as far as I know KNEW there aren't any charge points that can be effectively duty cycled on and off during a particular timeframe by external control from the grid. I don't claim to have an encyclopaedic of such things though so I did caveat it, what is wrong with that?

Still... makes a change from you being all over jpaul I guess.

Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to. As I say, my speculating was based on the impression the chap from the DNO gave when talking about the flaky local network when we are way down the line with EV adoption.

You couldnt see the post of your tone was in a negative context? Serious question. Felt like you had already jumped to a non fact conclusion. Dont turn into Nasher mate, your positing is decent.

Ive edited the quote too.

Jpaul deserves all he gets, dont protect the Pope.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't know why people in this thread are being so tetchy about any possible issue. EVs are great, anyone who has driven one knows that; you don't need to act like a teenage girl reacting to someone saying something rude about Britney.

Only about ten weeks now.

Soldato
You couldnt see the post of your tone was in a negative context?

Ive edited the quote too.

Jpaul deserves all he gets, dont protect the Pope.
Honestly? No.

As for the edit it is obviously me misunderstanding how the technology works because I thought everything was done at the vehicle / supplier level. Not at a local supply network level. Maybe that will never even be required, I was simply saying that it doesn't seem that unfeasible that charge points may evolve at some point in the future making the current ones old tech.

That doesn't mean they stop working and I'm not saying that Type 2 connections won't be a thing. As you say, the charger is in the car, so I'm talking about the box on the wall turning the switch on and off and the potential that at some point in the future they have different functionality / control. Who cares anyway if in 15 years time charge points change? These things aren't designed to last forever from an aesthetic point of view if nothing else.

I post a lot in this particular thread because I have an interest in EVs. I'm not anti at all despite them not currently suiting my niche use case of hopping between colleges and budget hotels up and down the UK. I also want to learn more about them but I'm not the sort to go and read up on a subject because I have the attention span of a 5 year old. Instead I find it interesting picking up bits of knowledge here and there.

If you want to try and make me look small with a condescending tone to your reply to my posts, fill your boots. It honestly doesn't bother me. I am bothered if the intent of my post is misinterpreted though which seems to be the case here.

Soldato
Honestly? No.

As for the edit it is obviously me misunderstanding how the technology works because I thought everything was done at the vehicle / supplier level. Not at a local supply network level. Maybe that will never even be required, I was simply saying that it doesn't seem that unfeasible that charge points may evolve at some point in the future making the current ones old tech.

That doesn't mean they stop working and I'm not saying that Type 2 connections won't be a thing. As you say, the charger is in the car, so I'm talking about the box on the wall turning the switch on and off and the potential that at some point in the future they have different functionality / control. Who cares anyway if in 15 years time charge points change? These things aren't designed to last forever from an aesthetic point of view if nothing else.

This is the point of the recent push for 'smart' chargers. Reality in the first instance is to allow the stagger start of chargers to avoid all starting at once, the grid supply dropping and literally slowing such that the base frequency (50Hz) reduces and stuff starts to derate, stop and/or trip. Im planning if my wire gets annoying being 5m on mine to change to 8m. Remaining Type 2 of course but for power supply just a cable change or adapter would be sufficient. There is no real benefit to change anyway, limitation is the existing grid that goes to the house.

Mobile Phones are a great example how the market has changed, moved and learned from it. Certainly not a mistake to make again in the pursuit of reduced WEEE

Associate
This is the point of the recent push for 'smart' chargers. Reality in the first instance is to allow the stagger start of chargers to avoid all starting at once, the grid supply dropping and literally slowing such that the base frequency (50Hz) reduces and stuff starts to derate, stop and/or trip. Im planning if my wire gets annoying being 5m on mine to change to 8m. Remaining Type 2 of course but for power supply just a cable change or adapter would be sufficient. There is no real benefit to change anyway, limitation is the existing grid that goes to the house.

Mobile Phones are a great example how the market has changed, moved and learned from it. Certainly not a mistake to make again in the pursuit of reduced WEEE
I'm wondering what kind of larger scale changes we'll see coming in when EV penetration starts really making a dent in the overall GWh numbers passing through the grid during the off peak hours. At some point there won't be enough GWh left for everyone to get the cheapest rate so they'll need to have multiple tiers; or I guess suppliers will just slowly make the off peak rate less attractive in line with uptake so they can still keep a tolerable margin

Back
Top Bottom