When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
In all honesty, the most reliable option not non-nerds is to split the power supply just after the meter and connecting the charger in there.

You’d put the battery CT on the house side so it can’t see the power draw of the EV charger, happy days.

The main issue is getting a spark in to deal with it at your cost, if it’s even possible with your particular set up.
(edit deleted 1st bit as i think i was wrong.....) however it would take a good few years to pull back the £££s a sparkie would charge to make the change, esp when home assistant can do it. i once considered myself to be a semi nerd, i guess i need to find my inner geek and get it done ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't the additives in V-Power become less effective over time? If so there's no point having it just sitting in the tank, you might as well fill up with regular 95.

I've come off of roundabouts at the same time as some quick EVs recently (mainly Model 3's). Now admittedly I'm not maxing out my little Leon and they may have their foot planted to the floor... but the difference in acceleration is incredible. I mean we all know the 0-60 stats but seeing it like for like on the road it's like our cars are operating to different laws of physics.

TBH I'm surprised more people don't end up stacking their new car when making the swap, especially if they are coming from something relatively modest power wise.
Anything E5 is better than E10.

Soldato
End of the year for hypervolt, bear in mind it’s only April!

They said they should be doing v3 units much quicker than that but wanted a longer deadline to give them time to roll it out to older v2 units (like mine)..

Mind you, it's not massively going to help, but hopefully it won't take 10-30 minutes to figure out the car is charging before it stops it (at peak rate)..

Soldato
They said they should be doing v3 units much quicker than that but wanted a longer deadline to give them time to roll it out to older v2 units (like mine)..

Mind you, it's not massively going to help, but hopefully it won't take 10-30 minutes to figure out the car is charging before it stops it (at peak rate)..

Hypervolt have also been very late with some of their feature roll outs so I’ve been adding a bit of ‘Elon’ time to it. My hypervolt is V2 as well.

I have IO set up on my car (Tesla) and to get round that issue where the car starts charging on peak rate I just have a schedule set in the car. It’s set to start at 11.30 and IO will overide it eventually and charge it later if needed. If IO fails, the car also charges. It’s a win win.

Soldato
I've come off of roundabouts at the same time as some quick EVs recently (mainly Model 3's). Now admittedly I'm not maxing out my little Leon and they may have their foot planted to the floor... but the difference in acceleration is incredible. I mean we all know the 0-60 stats but seeing it like for like on the road it's like our cars are operating to different laws of physics.

It is mildly amusing when there's some barry'd up boy racer with a pops & bangs map making a whole load of noise trying to keep up with me in my Niro when I'm not even trying and in almost complete silence :p

Last edited:
Associate
About to sign up to Intelligent Octopus Go, it's not really clear to me what I need to do, to get this to work on the Zappi side, do I just leave in full fast charger mode and Octopus will sort it out or do I still need to setup a schedule for off peak hours as the sign up tells me to turn off anything that controls the charging, obviously I can get in touch with them but figured there are enough users here it'd probably be quicker.

Edit - found a page of myenergi, looks like it has all the info

but yeah, any tips if this is no enough info let me know

Last edited:
Soldato
Just swapped my Mustang Mach e AWD Premium Tech for an Ionic 5 AWD Namsan. First impressions are very favourable. I do like the Mustang but some of the build and design choices are baffling. Cheapest cargo cover I have ever seen (it's a 60k car!) is just one thing, but it wound me up every time I put something in the boot. Door buttons instead of handles, internal door handles, switch quality, body roll are a few others.

The Ionic so far seems good, USB A seems an odd choice and I'm sure I'll find others soon enough.

Associate
About to sign up to Intelligent Octopus Go, it's not really clear to me what I need to do, to get this to work on the Zappi side, do I just leave in full fast charger mode and Octopus will sort it out or do I still need to setup a schedule for off peak hours as the sign up tells me to turn off anything that controls the charging, obviously I can get in touch with them but figured there are enough users here it'd probably be quicker.

Edit - found a page of myenergi, looks like it has all the info

but yeah, any tips if this is no enough info let me know

I don't have a Zappi but when I did mine I scheduled a charge between 12.30 and 4.30 am (was on octopus go) the next day they emailed me to say the test charge was successful and I would then be ported to the new tariff

Associate
All up and working, well sort of, it was quite easy following that guide, the only issue I have at the moment is that it won't fully charge my car as it has the wrong battery size configured as it configures charging slots based on charging speed and how much you want/need, my car was not on the list just the older one with near 50% battery deficit, so the charging slots IO gives me aren't big enough even when set to 100, an email to them will likely sort it but will test again tonight first to confirm it wasn't some glitch in the matrix. Typically need 5 to 6 hours to fill my car, due to 3.6 rate :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Ive got a Enyaq VRS for a few days test drive through work. Quite a nice car to be in, shame they cut costs in some daft places inside. Drives well considering the weight, and despite it being a MY23 the software is absolutely fine.

On the economy side of things, im wondering how much better its likely to get when (if:p) the weather improves, or is range/economy as good as it gets at 10/11c? i did a 70 mile trip, of which 50 was motorway at 65-70mph. Im guessing the ID7 is going to be a bit better as its got a sleeker design, the enyaq is a bit of a brick.

Caporegime
Ive got a Enyaq VRS for a few days test drive through work. Quite a nice car to be in, shame they cut costs in some daft places inside. Drives well considering the weight, and despite it being a MY23 the software is absolutely fine.

On the economy side of things, im wondering how much better its likely to get when (if:p) the weather improves, or is range/economy as good as it gets at 10/11c? i did a 70 mile trip, of which 50 was motorway at 65-70mph. Im guessing the ID7 is going to be a bit better as its got a sleeker design, the enyaq is a bit of a brick.

Usually a significant difference between 10 degrees and 20 degrees in terms of mileage. Easy 10% at a guess.

Soldato

Skoda updated the software for all pre my2024 cars as well over the air anyway.
I also had a drive in one the other week, an 80 sportline. It was OK but boring, zero driver enjoyment and involvement but a nice enough car to look at from all the other suv boxes that infest our roads these days.
They're just too expensive at the moment and, compared to my M235i at £250 per month with a balloon payment of £18k from new, not competitive enough. Oh and did I say boring?

Soldato
First long trip over the weekend since getting the Tesla. The Supercharger network really made it a breeze. In three out of four stops I got the "ready to continue journey" buzz within a minute or two of washing my hands in the gents. We charged a little longer each time out of paranoia but the car did really really well - 652 miles covered at 255Wh/mi (3.9mi/kWh) including all preheating etc.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Skoda updated the software for all pre my2024 cars as well over the air anyway.
I also had a drive in one the other week, an 80 sportline. It was OK but boring, zero driver enjoyment and involvement but a nice enough car to look at from all the other suv boxes that infest our roads these days.
They're just too expensive at the moment and, compared to my M235i at £250 per month with a balloon payment of £18k from new, not competitive enough. Oh and did I say boring?

Ive spent a weekend with it, and I wouldnt call it boring, its not interesting, and no way as good as a M235I, but I didnt think it was that much worse than the I4 40. If you take the weight into account, its handles ok, typical VAG feel. As a family chariot its great, loads of space and what not. I prefer it to the model Y (dont like the looks), but not as nice as the EQB inside (crap range). Im glad ive gone for the ID7 though, im just not a fan of the SUV styling, thats despite loving my 4 years in a XC60.

Was hoping to get a road trip to northern france as a proper test, but the wife got covid :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive spent a weekend with it, and I wouldnt call it boring, its not interesting, and no way as good as a M235I, but I didnt think it was that much worse than the I4 40. If you take the weight into account, its handles ok, typical VAG feel. As a family chariot its great, loads of space and what not. I prefer it to the model Y (dont like the looks), but not as nice as the EQB inside (crap range). Im glad ive gone for the ID7 though, im just not a fan of the SUV styling, thats despite loving my 4 years in a XC60.

Was hoping to get a road trip to northern france as a proper test, but the wife got covid :(
Fair enough and you are entitled to your opinion and I've driven worse cars. It's not a bad car however for something costing nearly £50k new, if I spec similar options that my BMW has got, it is an indecent amount for just a Skoda. Skoda aren't offering much in the way of incentives either.
I just felt, when driving, that the car was neutral enough but a detached feeling from what the car was doing, the brakes were not very good and I felt a lack of confidence in them because of the long pedal travel and no initial bite, plus the fact it wasn't particularly quick in the 80 form either, my old A3 with a 1.5 engine was better. I would say that the dynamics aren't much better than our 1.0 fiesta.
I would hope that the 85 version is improved.

The interior also doesn't live up to the car's cost either with some fairly low rent plastics around, particularly the inside door handles. If those are ignored then it is a fairly nice place to sit.

I think Skoda have a problem with the coupe as they are trying to sell at the same price range as other premium EV's that are better, but it has still the Skoda stigma.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fair enough and you are entitled to your opinion and I've driven worse cars. It's not a bad car however for something costing nearly £50k new, if I spec similar options that my BMW has got, it is an indecent amount for just a Skoda. Skoda aren't offering much in the way of incentives either.
I just felt, when driving, that the car was neutral enough but a detached feeling from what the car was doing, the brakes were not very good and I felt a lack of confidence in them because of the long pedal travel and no initial bite, plus the fact it wasn't particularly quick in the 80 form either, my old A3 with a 1.5 engine was better. I would say that the dynamics aren't much better than our 1.0 fiesta.
I would hope that the 85 version is improved.

The interior also doesn't live up to the car's cost either with some fairly low rent plastics around, particularly the inside door handles. If those are ignored then it is a fairly nice place to sit.

I think Skoda have a problem with the coupe as they are trying to sell at the same price range as other premium EV's that are better, but it has still the Skoda stigma.

Carwow only gave the Skoda 6/10 compared with 9/10 for the Audi Q4.

Back
Top Bottom