When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Not sure if people saw this - https://www.hyundai.com/uk/en/models/ioniq6.html

IONIQ 6 Premium 77kWh RWD
  • £5,109 initial rental*
  • 35-month term
  • 8,000 miles per annum
  • From £299 per month
*T&Cs apply. Subject to availability at participating retailers on vehicle orders received between 04/04/2024 and 02/07/2024. Figures based on initial payment of £5,109 followed by 35 monthly rentals of £299, 8000 miles pa, Personal Contract Hire, 9 pence per mile excess mileage charge. Offer excludes metallic paint, image shown for illustrative purposes only. You will not own the vehicle. Subject to status. Guarantee may be required. 18s and over. Arval SN5 6PE.

Soldato
Not sure if people saw this - https://www.hyundai.com/uk/en/models/ioniq6.html

IONIQ 6 Premium 77kWh RWD
  • £5,109 initial rental*
  • 35-month term
  • 8,000 miles per annum
  • From £299 per month
*T&Cs apply. Subject to availability at participating retailers on vehicle orders received between 04/04/2024 and 02/07/2024. Figures based on initial payment of £5,109 followed by 35 monthly rentals of £299, 8000 miles pa, Personal Contract Hire, 9 pence per mile excess mileage charge. Offer excludes metallic paint, image shown for illustrative purposes only. You will not own the vehicle. Subject to status. Guarantee may be required. 18s and over. Arval SN5 6PE.
At least 65 pence per mile before you fuel the thing. So assuming you only charge at home about 70ppm excluding insurance?

I'm so out of touch I have no idea if that is good or not but it sounds steep to me.

Soldato
At least 65 pence per mile before you fuel the thing. So assuming you only charge at home about 70ppm excluding insurance?

I'm so out of touch I have no idea if that is good or not but it sounds steep to me.

If you wanted to pay cash for the car you’d be spending around £42k so to rent the car for 3 years for ~£16k isn’t such a bad deal.

It will depreciate at least that much, probably more if you apply a normal new car depreciation curve to it. You’ll get even less for it is you trade it in rather than selling privately.

Soldato
A guy over the road from me, bought a brand new Electric car last year.
He was on the expressway and we drove oversomething and that something stuck into his batterypack.
His insurance would NOT cover that, not would the car warranty, and he is now stuck with a car that has done less than 600 miles and its dumped in his garage, because he cannot afford a new battery. He was told the new battery was £35K
He has vowed to NEVER waste money on an Electric car again.

With the costs ov Electric not being as good as you think, and the costs only going to get worse because the Govt are not getting as much TAX from them, I see no real short term benefit from having one.

I like the idea of hydrogen fuel rather then electric, but I also admit that I am against electric vehicles.

I ride bikes and trikes and I like Engines.. Would I trade my trikes for electric? The Harley yes cos its ****, but my VeeDub? No way.

Associate
A guy over the road from me, bought a brand new Electric car last year.
He was on the expressway and we drove oversomething and that something stuck into his batterypack.
His insurance would NOT cover that, not would the car warranty, and he is now stuck with a car that has done less than 600 miles and its dumped in his garage, because he cannot afford a new battery. He was told the new battery was £35K
He has vowed to NEVER waste money on an Electric car again.

With the costs ov Electric not being as good as you think, and the costs only going to get worse because the Govt are not getting as much TAX from them, I see no real short term benefit from having one.

I like the idea of hydrogen fuel rather then electric, but I also admit that I am against electric vehicles.

I ride bikes and trikes and I like Engines.. Would I trade my trikes for electric? The Harley yes cos its ****, but my VeeDub? No way.
There are numerous places that can remove battery packs and repair them, if it was my car I'd do that

Just out of interest, what type of car does your neighbour own?

Soldato

Your sentence makes sense for the short term, its the long term benefit where taxation is likely to come in.

I to like the idea of future hydrogen, but the execution of the now electric cars is better; 'future' being the operated word as it will never be the majority now.

PS hydrogen car would have had the same battery damage risk you just described...

Last edited:
Soldato
There are numerous places that can remove battery packs and repair them, if it was my car I'd do that

Possibly there are, but nowhere near us. We live in the sticks in Wales.
Its getting better of course it is, but we are still 3rd world compared to England LOL

What car? Good question, I keep thinking its an AUDI but in truth, I dont know? I might be confusing that with something else?

Soldato
The only reason the insurance company wouldn’t cover accident damage (driving over debris that damages your car IS accident damage) is because it was not insured or the driver did something else to void said insurance.

Plus £35k to replace the battery? No chance.

Even Tesla ‘only’ charge £15k for a brand new battery for a Model S including fitting and £9k for a refurb unit and less on the used parts market from a breaker. I can’t imagine a replacement from another marquee would be more than double that.

If this were true, it would have been front page on the Sun and DailyMail for a week.

Soldato

Possibly there are, but nowhere near us. We live in the sticks in Wales.
Its getting better of course it is, but we are still 3rd world compared to England LOL

What car? Good question, I keep thinking its an AUDI but in truth, I dont know? I might be confusing that with something else?
Sounds like the wasted money was on the insurance policy that doesn't insure the car for accident damage
True... Surely they would insure it, but then, the number of times I hear about insurance not paying a fair price, or even scrapping a vehicle over a small bump... Who knows what they actually said?

Your sentence makes sense for the short term, its the long term benefit where taxation is likely to come in.

I to like the idea of future hydrogen, but the execution of the now electric cars is better; 'future' being the operated word as it will never be the majority now.

PS hydrogen car would have had the same battery damage risk you just described...

Not sure I would agree with the statement about Hydrogen having the same battery dammage, however I did also state that I have a hatred to electric and so I am as biased as it can get agaisnt battery powered vehicles.

Soldato
The only reason the insurance company wouldn’t cover accident damage (driving over debris that damages your car IS accident damage) is because it was not insured or the driver did something else to void said insurance.

Plus £35k to replace the battery? No chance.

Even Tesla ‘only’ charge £15k for a brand new battery for a Model S including fitting and £9k for a refurb unit and less on the used parts market from a breaker. I can’t imagine a replacement from another marquee would be more than double that.

If this were true, it would have been front page on the Sun and DailyMail for a week.

Now that I am thinking about it, I recon he lied to me ?

Maybe the car was £35K?

I Feel an idiot now!

Im going to go ask him when I see him.

Associate
Soldato
Never discount what a dealer will try and charge for a repair.

For ice drivers who think they are immune to shocking costs, there is a thread in motors for a guy with a mini John Cooper works facing a £8k repair bill for a gearbox.
8k for a gear box, what is it made from? Tungsten?

Soldato
apples & oranges
the 8K was a dealer new gearbox but refurb 3rd party install just 3-4K, whereas the 60k battery, was obligatory dealer fix w/damaged casing,
so more than a tesla pack exchange, on a comparatively low production car.

Back
Top Bottom