When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Hello, id like to reference two bookends of an argument and then apply an out of context factor of 5.

krhxbye.

Who on earth said barely attached? It’s just basic mechanical principles.

You seem to be trying to imply adding (bolting or whatever) a incredibly stiff solid object to a car has no effect on its structural stiffness.

Caporegime
its not causing whats causing the recent price drops.
Eh
You seem to be trying to imply adding (bolting or whatever) a incredibly stiff solid object to a car has no effect on its structural stiffness.
You seem to confuse an engine block with a 1.3m wide battery pack. A battery pack isn’t ‘incredible’ stiff. But all batteries are structural. Tesla just marketed it like it’s special.

Last edited:
Soldato
Battery concerns are one of the factors of the second hand price drops. Which makes them more affordable now for those who don’t have a way of buying them new. But those buying new now pay more a month due to residuals .
the way I see it .... and I expect you will know if it goes wrong as I will own it on here... but the way I see it it is only an issue IF the battery is a problem. if it is just FUD and lies, then there is no reason at all to be concerned about the battery.

at which point it isn't the fault of the car or the technology but social media and news sites peddling scare stories for clicks.

time will tell and like I said I will own it either way, I trust the technology which is not to say things dont fail but my car is now pushing 50,000 miles and is 3.5 years old. I plan on keeping it untill it is beyond economical repair.
it's 4.5 years before it will even be anything to think about anyway (battery wise) due to the warranty.
personally I am more concerned with the headlights and AC charging.

watch this space ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
the way I see it .... and I expect you will know if it goes wrong as I will own it on here... but the way I see it it is only an issue IF the battery is a problem. if it is just FUD and lies, then there is no reason at all to be concerned about the battery.

at which point it isn't the fault of the car or the technology.

time will tell and like I said I will own it either way. but my car is now pushing 50,000 miles and is 3.5 years old. I plan on keeping it untill it is beyond economical repair.
it's 4.5 years before it will even be anything to think about anyway due to the warranty.

watch this space ;)
Well if we are picking single examples. a colleagues taycan broke down on a roundabout due to a module failure and took two months to replace the battery module. Certainly put his wife off another EV.

I have an EV. I don’t need convincing by some stories. I’m just reflecting the market and what’s happening in my opinion.

Last edited:
Associate
I didn’t say it had. I was on about the used car market. And yes battery concerns are a factor in secondhand prices. Doesn’t matter why but it’s the reality
Most people I work with have a SS EV paying 55-60% of the monthly. Hardly any will buy a second hand Ev ever. Just churn out a new one every 3 years and dump the old one on the market.

SS prices are up about 20% this year due to residuals (some will be ved, cost of borrowing ). Most are extending the car an extra year to get the lower monthly for another year before getting a new car (greener option too)
People who cannot afford new will go secondhand, yes they may be slightly concerned about the battery but no more than an ICE car that's got high mileage. The software should show what condition the battery is in better than just listening to an engine running.

Caporegime
People who cannot afford new will go secondhand, yes they may be slightly concerned about the battery but no more than an ICE car that's got high mileage. The software should show what condition the battery is in better than just listening to an engine running.
Second hand sales do not impact new car sales. Residuals do.

If EVs growth is to be sustained the residuals need to be better. But this is going to be hard to solve

Associate
Well if we are picking single examples. a colleagues taycan broke down on a roundabout due to a module failure and took two months to replace the battery module. Certainly put his wife off another EV.

I have an EV. I don’t need convincing by some stories. I’m just reflecting the market and what’s happening in my opinion.
That's just the make of car tho and repair parts nothing more

Caporegime
Fuel tanks don’t get smaller as an ICE ages. And a ICE is relatively easy to repair. Again your view points are not reflecting the market where residuals are a concern

Soldato
Eh

You seem to confuse an engine block with a 1.3m wide battery pack. A battery pack isn’t ‘incredible’ stiff. But all batteries are structural. Tesla just marketed it like it’s special.

Eh? Back at you.

12v battery isn't structural. I assume most mild hybrid batteries are not structural. Etc.

Marketing is marketing. In this case its not "untrue" in literal terms.

Squeezing another 1% of things is how Tesla gets their efficiency. Not entirely sure why anyone would take it personally.

Associate
Second hand sales do not impact new car sales. Residuals do.

If EVs growth is to be sustained the residuals need to be better. But this is going to be hard to solve
I said nothing about the second hand market affecting the new market, just if you want something and have the money you will probably buy new. If not you will be going secondhand just the same as with ICE cars.

Caporegime
Eh? Back at you.

12v battery isn't structural. I assume most mild hybrid batteries are not structural. Etc.

Marketing is marketing. In this case its not "untrue" in literal terms.

Squeezing another 1% of things is how Tesla gets their efficiency. Not entirely sure why anyone would take it personally.
Are you trolling. I said all batteries in the context of EV. Not that Tesla have special structural batteries only which their marketing has suggested

All EVs have a structural main traction battery. It’s literally bolted to the bottom of the car. It’s also a battery pack of many modules. Which have cells within.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom