When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I hear that Trigger still has his original broom as well.
lol a brilliant program however am not sure the point stands here. One of my old cars I sold after it blew its 2nd turbo and was on its 2nd engine after barely more than 100,000 miles. thankfully this was worse than usual. Undoubtedly there will be EV battery horror stories like this as well.

but it was still the same car.

if modern EV batteries can reliably cover over 250,000 miles before needing replacement i suspect in all but the most edge case scenarios that will basically mean it will last the life of the car. One would expect a new battery today would be more robust than one 10 years ago as well.
An EV battery doesnt have to last forever....... it just has to last for the life of the car in the majority of cases.

I believe they can do that already, which is why i bought one. IF i believed clarkeson et al that the battery would fail well in the life of the car then i wouldnt have.

none of that negates the fact that there needs to be way more options with what to do with EV batteries, so i am with the naysayers there.

not least because its a 2 way thing as well. As much as i want to be able to have a 10 year old car which is still in good shape, but has a couple of crap cells in it, i want to be able to swap the faulty cells out in a cost effective manner.

but from the other side of that............ if i have a clapped out banger of a car which i want rid of........ if it has a still healthy battery in there i want to be able to get some of the value back from that as well and have the option to sell to a reclaimer for a fair price.

Last edited:
Caporegime
lol a brilliant program however am not sure the point stands here. One of my old cars I sold after it blew its 2nd turbo and was on its 2nd engine after barely more than 100,000 miles. thankfully this was worse than usual. Undoubtedly there will be EV battery horror stories like this as well.

if modern EV batteries can reliably cover over 250,000 miles before needing replacement i suspect in all but the most edge case scenarios that will basically mean it will last the life of the car. One would expect a new battery today would be more robust than one 10 years ago as well.
An EV battery doesnt have to last forever....... it just has to last for the life of the car in the majority of cases.

I believe they can do that already, which is why i bought one. IF i believed clarkeson et al that the battery would fail well in the life of the car then i wouldnt have.
How much is a new battery at 300k miles. Prob more than the cars second hand value ? These sort of examples are outliers too. The time factor isn’t realistic. Despite mega miles.

I’ve ran the battery test on two Tesla’s. Both were under 90% SoH after 55k and 65k miles. Probably a lot of supercharging and sitting at 100% though.

A legged donkey can still do a job. Just not like a four legged. Much like a 75% soh still ‘works’

Last edited:
Soldato

I found one statistic that of EVs with over 100k 1.5% of them have replaced their batteries. But this is all skewed imo because EVs are new and some really early Tesla had unlimited warranties (open to correction).

As the industry matures more cars do over 100k we'll start to see more meaningful stats.

Last edited:
Soldato
How much is a new battery at 300k miles. Prob more than the cars second hand value ? These sort of examples are outliers too. The time factor isn’t realistic. Despite mega miles.

I’ve ran the battery test on two Tesla’s. Both were under 90% SoH after 55k and 65k miles. Probably a lot of supercharging and sitting at 100% though.

A legged donkey can still do a job. Just not like a four legged. Much like a 75% soh still ‘works’
i would genuinely be interested to know what the health is of my car battery now , 3.5 years old with almost 50k miles on it. AFAIK there is no real way to tell, but mileage wise it still covers close to what i would expect a brand new car to do.

but then would i notice a 15 mile drop in range? possibly not.

Caporegime
i would genuinely be interested to know what the health is of my car battery now , 3.5 years old with almost 50k miles on it. AFAIK there is no real way to tell, but mileage wise it still covers close to what i would expect a brand new car to do.

You would when you are 10miles from a charger :cry:

Soldato
on the way back from blackpool last year (total segue but blackpool lights are not what i remembered when i was a nipper) i must admit we did have to bail when the heavens opened and i was driving in a gale.

setting off we easily had the range to get to rugby charging (left blackpool around 75% charge iirc) (well by easily it predicted 25miles or so spare range) but by the time we got close it was down to warning me i would have less than 5 miles give or take and i still had 30 miles to go so could have dropped more.

it was genuinely no big deal tho, we just stopped earlier

Last edited:
Soldato
on the way back from blackpool last year (total segue but blackpool lights are not what i remembered when i was a nipper) i must admit we did have to bail when the heavens opened and i was driving in a gale.

setting off we easily had the range to get to rugby charging (left blackpool around 75% charge iirc) (well by easily it predicted 25miles or so spare range) but by the time we got close it was down to warning me i would have less than 5 miles give or take and i still had 30 miles to go so could have dropped more.

it was genuinely no big deal tho, we just stopped earlier
The buffer after 0% varies from EV to EV

Soldato

You can buy a OBD scanner.

Or measure after you empty it, what it takes (KW) to fill it back to 100%. If your usable is 80 and it only takes 60 to fill it .... . There's also some loss in the transfer. You might need 83 to fill to 80 etc.

Last edited:
Soldato

The gov/manufacturers can try and “re-enthuse” people all they want, but a great deal of punters just flat out don’t want one no matter the incentives.
I’ve no idea how they’ll achieve the lofty height of 22%, let alone 28%.

I think when they the fud go unchecked that ship has sailed. There's no putting that horse back in the stable.

Not that there aren't genuine issues and use cases that EVs aren't suitable for. Also some people simply don't want one. Which is valid also.

Soldato
The point is that in the same way you can "bring back" the performance / range of an EV by just swapping out it's most expensive component you can apply that logic to anything.

The reality is that what will kill off the majority of EVs is the same thing that kills off ICE cars and phones, TVs, laptops.... Cost of repair versus its value and what is available as a new alternative. I could have kept my old phone going when the battery went but the repair was a big chunk of the cost of a new one and it was old hat by then.

Soldato
The point is that in the same way you can "bring back" the performance / range of an EV by just swapping out it's most expensive component you can apply that logic to anything.
well that is true of anything... yes it is true, at some point the cost to repair an EV will mean it isnt practically worth it (which isnt to say some wont do it anyway, just like some people will spend a fortune on an old car when they *could* spend less on an objectively superior vehicle.

But so long as (for the significant majority of cases) the car battery outlasts the rest of the vehicle to the point that it isnt worth repairing, it doesnt matter. I mean, i guess it is a bit like cancer. if nothing else kills you, eventually sooner or later you will get cancer....... and with an EV, eventually if you keep on repairing everything else, the battery will die. At which point tho hopefully it will be recycled.

but that was not the point of triggers brush however (going back to your original comment). With triggers brush, none of the original brush was left at all.

Caporegime
well that is true of anything... yes it is true, at some point the cost to repair an EV will mean it isnt practically worth it (which isnt to say some wont do it anyway, just like some people will spend a fortune on an old car when they *could* spend less on an objectively superior vehicle.

But so long as (for the significant majority of cases) the car battery outlasts the rest of the vehicle to the point that it isnt worth repairing, it doesnt matter. I mean, i guess it is a bit like cancer. if nothing else kills you, eventually sooner or later you will get cancer....... and with an EV, eventually if you keep on repairing everything else, the battery will die. At which point tho hopefully it will be recycled.

but that was not the point of triggers brush however (going back to your original comment). With triggers brush, none of the original brush was left at all.
Lots of hopes

It would be interesting, if your ipace battery failed at 8yrs and a day old and it was a £20k bill for a new one, How that would change your view

Soldato
Lots of hopes

It would be interesting, if your ipace battery failed at 8yrs and a day old and it was a £20k bill for a new one, How that would change your view
i am banking on that not happening. but i expect if i had a £70k range rover and the cambelt failed on the motorway and trashed the engine just out of warranty, it may put me off the car, but its not like it would force me away from ICE vehicles in general.

however as i understand it, it is possible to replace sections of the ipace battery so i believe (famous last words) the odds are in my favour.

Associate
Lots of hopes

They wouldn't buy a new battery, probably just do what every else would do with an ICE car in the same boat of that sort of predicament, buy another car. Unless they had saved up to purchase a new battery with the savings on servicing and that's what they wanted to do .

Soldato

The reality is that what will kill off the majority of EVs is the same thing that kills off ICE cars and phones, TVs, laptops.... Cost of repair versus its value and what is available as a new alternative. I could have kept my old phone going when the battery went but the repair was a big chunk of the cost of a new one and it was old hat by then.

In many cases with EVs you can fix the battery which is fraction of the cost of replacing it. Even then it's proving to less of an issue that predicted.

But for sure economic viability write offs, or simply wanting something that's not old hat is equally as valid for EVs same as it is for ICE vehicles.

Soldato
They wouldn't buy a new battery, probably just do what every else would do with an ICE car in the same boat of that sort of predicament, buy another car. Unless they had saved up to purchase a new battery with the savings on servicing and that's what they wanted to do .

You can buy a refurbished battery or module pulled from another car also.

Caporegime
Whoosh. The point was it seemed ok to just replace the battery

Last edited:
Soldato
i am banking on that not happening. but i expect if i had a £70k range rover and the cambelt failed on the motorway and trashed the engine just out of warranty, it may put me off the car, but its not like it would force me away from ICE vehicles in general.

however as i understand it, it is possible to replace sections of the ipace battery so i believe (famous last words) the odds are in my favour.

I got rid of my diesel with egf,dpf and DSG issues because not only was the repair expensive it's was going to reoccur. It also didn't suit my use anymore.

Got rid of my Honda due to repair costs and the cost of insurance. Also theft Risk.

Lots of different reasons.

Back
Top Bottom