When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
nonetheless presumably you can offset all your electricty , so it's a flat octopus ~7p/kwh now for domestic, with controlled discharge at a few kh's an hour,
which would probably save me £300/yr WFH.

Octopus Go I think is 9p from 0030 to 0430. Car is sat at home most of the day, we could save up to about £100 a month (family of 4).

Soldato
Picked up a Rivian R1T dual motor today - I got a new job recently with a longer commute so needed another vehicle in the household and Rivian was offering some very cheap leases to get rid of the 2023s.

I feel even more American now :D

WIMAypl.jpeg

ozAGfLV.jpeg

54u2VEb.jpeg

kZVCe7Q.jpeg

Makes the Model S look small!

yhnDfpK.jpeg

Last edited:
Caporegime

The gov/manufacturers can try and “re-enthuse” people all they want, but a great deal of punters just flat out don’t want one no matter the incentives.
I’ve no idea how they’ll achieve the lofty height of 22%, let alone 28%.

EVs are just too new for anyone who wants a cheap car to buy. It's going to take years before I can justify buying a used EV that has enough range for me

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
EVs are just too new for anyone who wants a cheap car to buy. It's going to take years before I can justify buying a used EV that has enough range for me

Depends on your budget, if you want a 5k EV long range car then forget it, but then 5k on a diesel or petrol doesn’t really get you true trouble free motoring.

The next 3 years will see a glut of EV’s on the used market. There will be a bunch of Merc, Hyundai/kia, BMW I4, Enyaq , VW ID4/5 and Tesla coming off lease.

Caporegime
Depends on your budget, if you want a 5k EV long range car then forget it, but then 5k on a diesel or petrol doesn’t really get you true trouble free motoring.

The next 3 years will see a glut of EV’s on the used market. There will be a bunch of Merc, Hyundai/kia, BMW I4, Enyaq , VW ID4/5 and Tesla coming off lease.
Yeah that's pretty much the price point for me and the cars I'd be looking at.

As that's the YEARLY cost to me when I looked at leasing not long ago for the cheapest models via work salary sacrifice.

Man of Honour
Picked up a Rivian R1T dual motor today

I often wonder who'd buy these - it doesn't really fit the main pickup markets, definitely not the ones who just want something to bang around the farm/general agriculture use or those who like a big "murdered out" truck and edge case for the lifestyle market.

Soldato
I often wonder who'd buy these - it doesn't really fit the main pickup markets, definitely not the ones who just want something to bang around the farm/general agriculture use or those who like a big "murdered out" truck and edge case for the lifestyle market.
It’s definitely the latter. Most pickup owners in the US don’t tow or even put anything in the bed, they just use it as a car. The F150 is the Fiesta/Puma of the U.K.

The Rivian is stupid fast if you get the expensive one, far better to drive than say an F150 Raptor and lighter on the wallet.

Last edited:
Soldato
EVs are just too new for anyone who wants a cheap car to buy.

Cheap is a relative term though, for one person cheap is £500, for another £5k and someone else £10k.
It's going to take years before I can justify buying a used EV that has enough range for me

Again enough range for you, how much is enough, 50 miles, 150 miles, 500 miles? It comes round to wanting something that you don't want to occupy any of your time when using it, not a range issue really, since chargers aren't that sparse these days and are literally getting better every day. If you have 150 miles of useable range (so down to 10% if you are a worrier) then how often would that cause you an issue that occupies some of your time, if it is every time you go out then it would be annoying, but if it is once every 6 weeks then it's only an issue if you are 'wasting' time charging and would actually be doing something else instead.

Associate
Cheap is a relative term though, for one person cheap is £500, for another £5k and someone else £10k.

Again enough range for you, how much is enough, 50 miles, 150 miles, 500 miles? It comes round to wanting something that you don't want to occupy any of your time when using it, not a range issue really, since chargers aren't that sparse these days and are literally getting better every day. If you have 150 miles of useable range (so down to 10% if you are a worrier) then how often would that cause you an issue that occupies some of your time, if it is every time you go out then it would be annoying, but if it is once every 6 weeks then it's only an issue if you are 'wasting' time charging and would actually be doing something else instead.
In my case it would be dependent on what I could get for my low milage Mokka. Range of 50 miles would be fine for majority of journeys. 150 mile range would probably do for the holidays and days out.

Soldato
I got by and on an EV with 120 winter and 170 summer miles and could do it again from a practical perspective, but I won’t. So for me I want 250 summer and 200 winter give or take 10 miles.

That’s just my personal personal hassle free range use, even if it is only a few times a year I drive that far.

This is range on a combined journey, not motorway.

Last edited:
Associate
Sweet lord :) They should make a slightly smaller version of the Ioniq 5 N as it's quiet a large family car size.

It looks good, right up my street, nearly every review ends with best drivers EV ever, just the size of the thing, oh and the price, strong money for an IONIQ 5 with such a low rent interior, EV6 GT drops a third in first year, perhaps it'll do the same, I'd be more tempted with a 3rd off :D More car in terms of size than I need though, we already have a family bus.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got by and on an EV with 120 winter and 170 summer miles and could do it again from a practical perspective, but I won’t. So for me I want 250 summer and 200 winter give or take 10 miles.

That’s just my personal personal hassle free range use, even if it is only a few times a year I drive that far.

This is range on a combined journey, not motorway.
pretty much any new EV specced with long range battery option should tick that box now,.unless you deliberately go for a small citi car.
if you want second hand then there are options too, ipace, E Niro, model 3, ID3
personally I have always gone of the logic of give me a 3 year old car which has lost 50% of its value (or with the ipace closer to 70%) than a brand new lower spec car

but tax dodging lease deals with EVs have perhaps changed things a bit depending on your circumstances.

Last edited:
Soldato
pretty much any new EV specced with long range battery option should tick that box now,.unless you deliberately go for a small citi car.
if you want second hand then there are options too, ipace, E Niro, model 3, ID3
personally I have always gone of the logic of give me a 3 year old car which has lost 50% of its value (or with the ipace closer to 70%) than a brand new lower spec car

but tax dodging lease deals with EVs have perhaps changed things a bit depending on your circumstances.

As b0rn2sk8 points out, even standard range EVs are getting that range now. So that helps massively with the entry price. I would never consider a Golf ICE over an ID3 if they were both similarly priced.

I’m determined to stop usong SS lease deals now that decent ranged EVs are a good price used. 58kWh ID3 or Cupra Born sub, MG4 LR, Megane E-Tech are all on my radar for £15k - £20k.

I love my I-Pace and will miss it but I work from home 4 days a week and just don’t do the mileage to justify leasing a luxury EV.

Last edited:
Soldato
2nd hand id3( & polestar) both have step function improvement in economy for newer models - as motor/invertor improved - so slightly sour purchase taste.
but should feed through into 2nd hand values, however the insurance costs on the older versions may not be helped if older parts are unique.
How long will mg4 be in production too, chinese turning around new designs in <2years doesn't help .. it'll become like mobile renewal.

ID3 premium I checked of £400 didn't sound too exorbitant, similar to current bm, plus chancellor won't be sending me £350 road tax bill.

Soldato
Everything you just said applies to ICE as well. Each new model and facelift renders the last model a secondary or even tertiary model with components increasingly harder to source.

I was frequently scouring scrapyards for parts for a few of the older cars I have owned. Gearbox, panels, boot struts etc.

Caporegime
2nd hand id3( & polestar) both have step function improvement in economy for newer models - as motor/invertor improved - so slightly sour purchase taste.
but should feed through into 2nd hand values, however the insurance costs on the older versions may not be helped if older parts are unique.
How long will mg4 be in production too, chinese turning around new designs in <2years doesn't help .. it'll become like mobile renewal.

ID3 premium I checked of £400 didn't sound too exorbitant, similar to current bm, plus chancellor won't be sending me £350 road tax bill.
When was this update?

Back
Top Bottom