• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
Lots of people. People who had a £350 budget but bumped it to £400 already.
I don't disagree that the value proposition of a 4060ti is poor compared to other cards but I understand why some people end up buying one anyway.
Resale value is irrelevant if you can't afford to buy the more expensive option.

If the question is "why do people buy rubbish overpriced cards?" then it's a simple answer, most people aren't experts, don't care THAT much and buy what card they can for the budget they have.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really dont understand GPU prices anymore.

As they have creeped up in price over the last few years, the percentage differences in prices compared to performance just don't make sense really, especially if you factor in anything above the cheapest of each range.

For example, 4070's can be readily had for £499, yet there are so many 4060ti models hovering above £400 with only a few of the cheapest a bit below.Then there is the 16gb model where the vast majority sit at like £30-£40 less than a 4070...!

The 4070 is significantly faster for ~£100 more. What is an extra £100 when you are spending £400 or more anyway?!

It feels like they are just getting more and more bunched up in the middle now that manufacturers seem to want ~£300 just for a basic low end XX60 level card.

I just don't get where the market is for 8gb 4060Ti's above £400? Which insane people are buying them? Surely you would just spend another £100 and get the vastly superior 4070 and more vram?

Same goes for the bunching up between the 4070, 4070 super and 4070ti. I know two of those are technically discontinued, but we don't seem to get the nice sales for the old models any more. They just kind of awkwardly shove new cards into the stack with silly small differences between prices.
Imagine those products being made by 4-5 different companies, all competing. Same mess :))

8GB version are the initial candidates which probably can't be discontinued. 16GB are the "alternative" for a little bit of future proof, but since they weren't in the original plan, they don't sit that well.

Add on top different margins down the supply chain (including the manufacturer) and ... you have the current situation.

I went from a 4070 to a 4080 by "this adds a little bit more value" and stopped there as 4090, based on market prices and the need to upgrade the rest of the PC, was both outside the budget and it was actually a bit worse from a price/performance point of view.

Soldato
TSMC estimates losses of $92.4 mln due to Taiwan earthquake By ReutersApril 18, 20244:15 PM GMT+1Updated 3 hours ago

BEIJING, April 18 (Reuters) - Taiwan chipmaker TSMC said the biggest earthquake in at least 25 years that struck the island on April 3 caused estimated losses of T$3 billion ($92.44 million) to the company in the second quarter.
The quake is also expected to bring a 50-basis point drop to TSMC's second quarter gross margin, it said in a filing to the Taiwan Stock Exchange.
There were no power outages or structural damage to TSMC's fabs, and critical equipment including EUV machines were not affected, it added.

($1 = 32.4530 Taiwan dollars)

Will be something for GPU makers to state later for their price increases.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ok payday nearly here and will look out for deals RX 6800 or RX 7700? Let's get some views!

I game at 1440p.... Will keep card for a long time...

The RX 7700 XT is a newer RDNA 3 architecture, the advantages it has over the RX 6800 are:

AV1 encode / decode, that's a better more efficient video codex in the sense that you get a better image quality at a smaller file size for video recording, streaming and if you do any video editing / rendering in apps that support it.

RT performance per core is quite a bit higher on RDNA 3, for example a quick google shows the RX 6800 scores 7400 in Port Royal while the RX 7700 XT scores 8950, that's 21% higher, that score is actually 9% higher than the RTX 3070 which scores 8200, a 4060 Ti also scores 8200, so not bad.

So far as i'm aware while the RX 6000 series will support FSR 3.0, i don't think it will support FSR 3.1, see the difference between FSR 3.1 and FSR 3.0.

RDNA 3 has an AI engine, RDNA 2 does not, that could be important for future features and possibly why RDNA 2 (RX 6000) may not support FSR 3.1.

FSR 2.2 / 3.0

B2qSGmx.gif

FSR 3.1

zo3Ed1w.gif

The RX 6800 has 16 GB of VRam vs only 12 GB on the 7700 XT, 16 GB is a nice solid amount, but 12 GB is not bad, at 1440P there isn't anything that's going to be a problem for that, you know.... its not like its 8GB, a year or two in the future that might change, you might have to make some small image quality compromises, or it might be great for a couple of years or more, it's impossible to predict but in the long run 16GB is a much safer bet.

I was recently in the market for a GPU and thought long and hard about all of this myself, what i ended up buying was an RX 7800 XT but i had decided on the RX 7700 XT if it was going to be between the RX 6800 and it, the benefits outweigh the 12 GB VRam, IMO.

I have the RX 7800 XT version of this RX 7700 XT, its the one i recommend, despite its price and small size it actually a VERY good cooler, its a good quality card.

If you want the fancy one i do think this is reasonably priced.

Others please chime in :)

Last edited:
Associate
The RX 7700 XT is a newer RDNA 3 architecture, the advantages it has over the RX 6800 are:

AV1 encode / decode, that's a better more efficient video codex in the sense that you get a better image quality at a smaller file size for video recording, streaming and if you do any video editing / rendering in apps that support it.

RT performance per core is quite a bit higher on RDNA 3, for example a quick google shows the RX 6800 scores 7400 in Port Royal while the RX 7700 XT scores 8950, that's 21% higher, that score is actually 9% higher that the RTX 3070 which scores 8200, a 4060 Ti also scores 8200, so not bad.

So far as i'm aware while the RX 6000 series will support FSR 3.0, i don't think it will support FSR 3.1, see the difference between FSR 3.1 and FSR 3.0.

RDNA 3 has an AI engine, RDNA 2 does not, that could be important for future features and possibly why RDNA 2 (RX 6000) may not support FSR 3.1.

FSR 2.2 / 3.0

B2qSGmx.gif

FSR 3.1

zo3Ed1w.gif

The RX 6800 has 16 GB of VRam vs only 12 GB on the 7700 XT, 16 GB is a nice solid amount, but 12 GB is not bad, at 1440P there isn't anything that's going to be a problem for that, you know.... its not like its 8GB, a year or two in the future that might change, you might have to make some small image quality compromises, or it might be great for a couple of years or more, it's impossible to predict but in the long run 16GB is a much safer bet.

I was recently in the market for a GPU and thought long and hard about all of this myself, what i ended up buying was an RX 7800 XT but i had decided on the RX 7700 XT if it was going to be between the RX 6800 and it, the benefits outweigh the 12 GB VRam, IMO.

I have the RX 7800 XT version of this RX 7700 XT, its the one i recommend, despite its price and small size it actually a VERY good cooler, its a good quality card.

If you want the fancy one i do think this is reasonably priced.

Others please chime in :)
Wow great input, thanks a lot!! Might come down to what deal comes up in next couple of weeks but will read into all of this!

Soldato
Probably to compete with upcoming Nvidia cards. Its the never ending rat-race of new GPU and CPUs!
The only leaks have been for high end Nvidia cards and the mainstream cards are launched much later.

RDNA4 is only a pair of entry and mainstream dGPU designs which are apparently launching this year. Lots of leaks about them so far.

Associate
The only leaks have been for high end Nvidia cards and the mainstream cards are launched much later.

RDNA4 is only a pair of entry and mainstream dGPU designs which are apparently launching this year. Lots of leaks about them so far.
IIRC this is generally how GPUs are released. The high end first, most expensive to drive sales and entice those who are on the fence and cannot wait. Also to market and demonstrate the new architecture of which all other cards will be based. Then the more affordable cards come out later.

Back
Top Bottom