When will BMW import 4WD 3/5 series?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;18037509 said:
The compromise isn't just from a driving dynamics point of view. What about the fact it saps the performance of the car, it chews through additional fuel and it wears it's tyres quicker?

None of which are huge compromises for my low mileage situation. So, yes, I would like to see a 4WD option. Choice.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
None of which are huge compromises for my low mileage situation. So, yes, I would like to see a 4WD option. Choice.
Get an E Class or an Audi then.

It doesn't make any sense at all, as the UK is a unique market, and they're not going to go to all the trouble of making RHD xDrives for 7 people.

Soldato
I wouldn't buy one of these cars new - that would be a huge waste of money. By the time this sort of car filters down to the level I last bought at (4 years old) the 4WD won't be a £2k option - it will be a few hundred pound premium.

@mjt - that may well be the case, but I was commenting that I'd buy one. You're right - they probably won't make any to import.

Soldato
I wouldn't buy one of these cars new - that would be a huge waste of money. By the time this sort of car filters down to the level I last bought at (4 years old) the 4WD won't be a £2k option - it will be a few hundred pound premium.

That's not going to motivate BMW to sell them here, they don't care a whole lot about what people who buy second hand cars want.

Associate
I would have loved 4 wheel drive today, my 335i was all over the road and I found myself driving slower than most and had a bit of a tail back behind me earlier because of it.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;18037509 said:
The compromise isn't just from a driving dynamics point of view. What about the fact it saps the performance of the car, it chews through additional fuel and it wears it's tyres quicker?

I think it depends on the car, but i'd rather have the quattro system on my A6 than have a FWD variant (even if you could have the same engine). I find it makes the car far more sure footed in the wet/dry and makes winter a complete doddle. I dont find it suffers much on the traffic light "GP" either, with the ability to just select S mode and plant the throttle; but maybe thats as much to do with the auto box as being 4wd.

Wear tyres quicker? my personal experience says otherwise (currently at 24k on my first set of tyres with 4mm to go) but its also counterintuitive, no?

DM

DM

Permabanned
I think it depends on the car, but i'd rather have the quattro system on my A6 than have a FWD variant (even if you could have the same engine). I find it makes the car far more sure footed in the wet/dry and makes winter a complete doddle. I dont find it suffers much on the traffic light "GP" either, with the ability to just select S mode and plant the throttle; but maybe thats as much to do with the auto box as being 4wd.

Wear tyres quicker? my personal experience says otherwise (currently at 24k on my first set of tyres with 4mm to go) but its also counterintuitive, no?

Tyres do go quicker on the 4x4's iv had but i agree with everything else there, id rather have 4 wheel drive.

But then i dont care if it saps a touch of power, uses more petrol, or supposedly detracts something from the purist rwd drivers, ie i likes 911 C4's better than C2's.

Back
Top Bottom