Where can I get a quality desk without spending loads

Soldato
Hello all,

I currently have a 120cm wide desk I got off the rainforest about a year ago, it's done me well but looking for a much nicer looking desk as its in my front room and currently looks a bit off.

So I'm wanting to go to 150cm wide as currently have a 32" monitor and my NV5 on the desk so would like to space it out a bit and look less cramped.

My current desk is that "gamer" inspired which isn't ideal in the current environment, so something more pleasing on the eye and more suitable to a front room area.

Budget about £150-200
Thanks

Man of Honour
Anyway,

I've gone from the top picture which I made 32 years ago and now using our dining room table :)
I bought the drawers off Marketplace for £15 each.
Obviously not completed yet, painter & decorator in today and new carpet next week before it all goes together properly

desk3.jpg

Soldato
Anyway,

I've gone from the top picture which I made 32 years ago and now using our dining room table :)
I bought the drawers off Marketplace for £15 each.
Obviously not completed yet, painter & decorator in today and new carpet next week before it all goes together properly
How do you actually sit at the desk, I couldnt handle that much stuff under mine I like to get right in there. In this I am leaning back as far as the chair will go

JF8vLDZl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I've been using the Ikea Bekant 160x80cm desk for a few years now. Has felt spacious enough for me whilst also staying simplistic in its design. Decent choice of colours too. Falls right in the middle of your budget. Lacks any draws though :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Get one off ebay. Furniture tends to go dirt cheap because of the transport difficulties. It will cost you about £80 to get it collected and delivered. I bought an oak dining table from ebay a few years back for £25. New, it cost over £1000.

Man of Honour
Get one off ebay. Furniture tends to go dirt cheap because of the transport difficulties. It will cost you about £80 to get it collected and delivered. I bought an oak dining table from ebay a few years back for £25. New, it cost over £1000.

Those 3 drawers on post 6 cost £15 each off Marketplace and I've ordered another to go at the right hand side of me.
This is the blokes Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100087641386166 so somebody will do something similar in Kettering.
On the photo's section I have the exact same desk and drawers at the NHS, the drawers are £15 so the desk is probably about £50 - https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=266976122900432&set=pb.100087641386166.-2207520000

Soldato
OP
Cheers all, going to have a good look around today.

I've found a desk at IKEA that's 140x60cm, do you guys think that would be big enough for a LG 45" ultrawide and my NV5 on the desk?

I don't want to be cramped but also max I can fit is around 150cm wide

Associate
Cheers all, going to have a good look around today.

I've found a desk at IKEA that's 140x60cm, do you guys think that would be big enough for a LG 45" ultrawide and my NV5 on the desk?

I don't want to be cramped but also max I can fit is around 150cm wide
I think it will fit, but be a bit snug. Wouldn't think you'd look at it and think 'cramped' though.

I had a quick measure. I have the 160x80 from Ikea and use a 34" Ultrawide in the center, and 27" IPS in portrait off to the left, and have about 30+cm's free to the right of my Ultrawide where I home far more Pokemon plushies than a 35yo man should own.

I know you're limited to 150cm wide, but are you limited to 60cm depth? I only ask, cause playing games with a M&K, I can't imagine getting any closer to this monitor with the desk being 80cm depth and it only being a 34" screen. If you're sitting back with a controller then no harm, but I guess distance from a screen is personal preference. Just be aware sitting directly at the desk with 60cm depth is going to put you incredibly close to at 45", even VESA mounted :)

Soldato
OP
I think it will fit, but be a bit snug. Wouldn't think you'd look at it and think 'cramped' though.

I had a quick measure. I have the 160x80 from Ikea and use a 34" Ultrawide in the center, and 27" IPS in portrait off to the left, and have about 30+cm's free to the right of my Ultrawide where I home far more Pokemon plushies than a 35yo man should own.

I know you're limited to 150cm wide, but are you limited to 60cm depth? I only ask, cause playing games with a M&K, I can't imagine getting any closer to this monitor with the desk being 80cm depth and it only being a 34" screen. If you're sitting back with a controller then no harm, but I guess distance from a screen is personal preference. Just be aware sitting directly at the desk with 60cm depth is going to put you incredibly close to at 45", even VESA mounted :)
Hey man,

So I've had a look and going to go for a 34" ultrawide instead.

No I'm not limited to 60cm, that's what my current desk is, just seems Ikea's sizing is either too big or too small haha

Associate
Hey man,

So I've had a look and going to go for a 34" ultrawide instead.

No I'm not limited to 60cm, that's what my current desk is, just seems Ikea's sizing is either too big or too small haha
Nice! Haha yeah, they can be a pain. I read somewhere the one in Nottingham is lovely though :p
I picked up my AW3427DWF on sale this week, been loving it so far!

Back
Top Bottom