Which 1tb or 2tb external SSD?

Soldato
Looking to replace a flakey home made enclosure and drive, any recommendations please? Don't want to spend silly money, just looking for something reliable, cheers.

Associate
What are you looking to do with the drive? Permanently attached to the pc, moving files between computers or is this a backup type plan?

The reason I ask is if it's for long term backup you may find issues with how long data can be retained for unpowered on a SSD if it will only be rarely connected.

Soldato
OP
What are you looking to do with the drive? Permanently attached to the pc, moving files between computers or is this a backup type plan?

The reason I ask is if it's for long term backup you may find issues with how long data can be retained for unpowered on a SSD if it will only be rarely connected.

Mostly transferring data between computers, and some audio/video streaming, it'll be plugged in at least once a week, probably more often.

Soldato
Any reasonably priced usb c external from a known company should be fine. The alternative is buying an enclosure for an nvme, I think sabrent offer some decent ones.

The Crucial X series are decent, as are Western Digitals Passport.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got the sabrent and orico enclosures for m.2 drives. Very handy for getting data off other drives or even for fast portable storage.
Also windows2go works perfectly from it

Soldato
Grab yourself a Sabrent M.2 drive and put it inside an Orico USB-C enclosure.

I've had more luck with Sabrent's drives than I have their enclosures.

Soldato
Grab yourself a Sabrent M.2 drive and put it inside an Orico USB-C enclosure.

I've had more luck with Sabrent's drives than I have their enclosures.

What was your problem with Sabrent Enclosures.

I have A USB-C one that I was using with a NVME 256GB as a transfer drive between my MacBook and Windows PC but the drive died. Sitting there empty at moment.

Soldato
What was your problem with Sabrent Enclosures.

I have A USB-C one that I was using with a NVME 256GB as a transfer drive between my MacBook and Windows PC but the drive died. Sitting there empty at moment.
I find the USB-C connector on the enclosures doesn't quite hold onto the cable enough. So you might accidentally nudge the enclosure or you might need to move it while it's in use, and I've found that sometimes even the slightest of nudges with various cables can disconnect the drive enough to stop transfers.

Back
Top Bottom