Which DAC & Amp for Bookshelf speakers (+ spec me a small sub) ?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Oh wise ones, I am entangled within a desperate yearning for clarity of audio. Please hear my cries and aid my spec.

I'm wanting to use 2 of my Monitor Audio BX2's, and purchase a separate small subwoofer, to use as 2.1 on my desktop.

I'm aware I need an Amp as well as a DAC, but when looking I find that everything appears geared towards headphones, and I'm getting lost in the jargon so could use some advice on what type/spec to look for specifically please :)

Regarding a subwoofer, my PC is in a converted bedroom so it needn't be obnoxious, I just want that ambient rumble when watching movies. It needs to be a lot fuller than the one I'm using now, the Sub with the HK SoundStick III's please.

Just in case, my mobo is a MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk, if that assists in any way.

Many thanks :)

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Thank you, that Amp looks spot on :) appreciated, I will research into it further.

Re: the subwoofer. It's bigger than I was hoping for, as I already have a Monitor Audio MSW10 approximately that size which I could use, however I was hoping for something that wouldn't take up as much floor space under the desk.

I guess for a decent quality and range, perhaps that size is necessary?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Good subs are big, and the XLS is pretty darn tiny. It's a 10" sealed box sub, you can't really get much smaller than that, otherwise you're compromising.

Also it's real wood veneer and MDF, not chipboard with vinyl wrap.

The Wiim is also a streamer, and a really good one at that. Plus it has EQ and PEQ features, and high pass/low pass as well?

Compare the XLS to these haha

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Good subs are big, and the XLS is pretty darn tiny. It's a 10" sealed box sub, you can't really get much smaller than that, otherwise you're compromising.
Thank you, understood. The dimensions I found for the BK XLS 300 are: 340 X 355 x 290, and the dimensions of my MA MSW10 are: 321 x 321 x 364, so I guess it is 74mm thinner which may make it acceptable. I'm going to do some measuring now...

The Wiim is also a streamer, and a really good one at that. Plus it has EQ and PEQ features, and high pass/low pass as well?
The Wiim Amp looks great, I think I'm sold on that one :) thank you!

Q: is there a preference for the source connection, aux/hdmi/usb ?

Last edited:
Soldato
digital inputs would be best, line in would be digitised. Also has USB so could use that for storage. Don't think it's USB DAC, it's just for flash or HDD.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Oh OK, awesome, thank you :) So I have an 'Optical S/PDIF OUT' from my mobo which I guess can go directly into the WiiM Amp Optical In, and that's it sorted?

Soldato
Yeah you'd get 24 bit 192khz max from that, if you want multi channel DD/DD atmos etc you'd need to use another device. You can use E-ARC from TV also, so PC/Console into TV then TV e-arc or optical out into wiim amp

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Thank you. I'm not sure what I need, it'll just be a 2.1 set-up, so will I need the multi-channel DD stuff? I would like to avoid the old issue where, when playing movies made for 5.1 through a set of stereo speakers would lose the centre audio and over-fill the surround. I want a nice, clean 2.1 audio experience form all types of movie files please, I'm unsure if that will require the DD multi-channel support, or not.

Thank you for your help with this, appreciated :)

Soldato
Sources will downmix and output stereo so should be fine, you'll also have bass management which'll help sub and speakers integration and lessen demand on the wiim amp. Probably set the high pass no lower than 60hz for the Monitor Audio speakers

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Oh great, and the downmixing is all done by the WiiM, correct? So I don't need to have specific codecs or software etc to ensure constant stereo?

Awesome, thank you so much for your help! I'm going to find a place where I can listen to the XLS before I commit, but the WiiM looks to be 100% what I'm in need of.

Thank you :)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
OK cool, thanks. More research to do, but it is difficult without being able to hear them in person. Might take a trip to RicherSounds too.

Is there a type that would function well wall-mounted? edit: currently in a worm-hole about the possibility of having it inset it into the wall :D

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Ok thank you. I think my hesitance is with not being able to hear it first, as I don't want one that sounds similar to my HK soundsticks sub, yet I don't need one as large as my MSW10. I suppose if I visit richersounds and John lewis etc. I can get an estimation on specific types first, prior to purchasing online :)

Thank you again :)

Soldato
Reactions: NVP

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Thank you, still yet to decide on the sub, but appreciated :) Defo hit me up if you see any around Brum plz!

Back
Top Bottom