Which nvme external enclosure?

Soldato
Looking to make a fast usb nvme drive for copying stuff like films and system images real quick.
Need good compatibility and heat venting.
Iv seen some orico branded ones which seem decent on price. Some use realtek some use jmicron controller.
Which is good to go for? What options you recommend?

Soldato
OP
Still looking for an enclosure since i need to clone some nvme usb enclosure is ideal.
Reliability is main thing i need. Not fussed if its not the fastest. 150mb read write speed is enough for my needs.

Soldato
OP
still on the hunt for an enclosure. the RTL9210 chipset seems to be the better one since it has smart info support. gonna use for cloning drives so need data integrity and reliability. dont matter if its slow as long as its not usb2 speeds slow lol. any other options people can weigh in on? it would be ideal if its got nvme and sata support.

Soldato
OP
after watching some youtube reviews of the Sabrent EC-SNVE iv ordered one. £27 inc delivery its one of the cheaper ones too. all reviews saying it uses the realtek controller which is most reliable one out there so far. should work out well for my work purposes.

Soldato
OP
Yep will do tests. I got a slow old 128gb nvme to use in it for now but will be putting 50gig images on it so will check it for corruption.

Which enclosure were you using that gave corruption?

Soldato
OP
First the RSTECH RSH-329, then the Asus ROG Strix Arion.

I still wonder if it's my cable, despite the same one never corrupting data on my Sabrent EC-TFNE. Or it could be a conflect with my motherboard and the Realtek chipset. I'm half tempted to just order one and see what happens.
that rstech one uses the realtek chipset so shouldnt be any issues with it. worth trying another cable to be on the safe side. are you overclocked or undervolted if on am4 platform?

Soldato
OP
Just ordered the same enclosure as you. If this one corrupts data, it's going straight back and I'll just have to live with a dodgy connection on my Sabrent EC-TFNE. :(

I'm half tempted to try a PCIe USB-C card to see if that fixes anything.
Odd that ec-tfne uses jmicron control chip which has loads of reports of issues. If its working fine for you then things really are topsy turvy

Soldato
OP
That's something I didn't check. I see that Sabrent offers a firmware update tool for the EC-SNVE that we've both ordered. So if I get any corruption issues, I'll see if an update is available and whether or not it fixes the problem.

have a look at this forum post onwards:

apparently generic realtek firmware can be flashed which is more updated then sabrents own firmware. this firmware should also work for your RSTECH enclosure if it uses the realtek bridge chip. huge changelog also posted there with some rather interesting fixes.

Soldato
OP
The cable i got is a bit dodgey when used with phone. If wiggled phone stops charging and reconnects. I could do with a higher quality one but the cables i have are type c and usb2 speed only. Usb3 speed ones cost a lot.

Soldato
OP
Power output would depend on usb port from computer and cable wire awg. At this point you could try a usb hub and see if that sorts everything. If it works then you know its lack of power from usb port.

I have a usb power analyser so will test it when my enclosure arrives. Also can be down to the ssd itself on how much power it uses.

Short cable working means its either a power loss issue with the long cable or shielding issues on data side of the cable.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@darael got my enclosure today and testing with sk hynix 128gb ssd i seem to be stuck on usb2 speeds lol. Will try another port in few mins but looks like the cheapo cables i got may not be certified for proper usb 3 5g speed. May have to invest in a proper cable

Back
Top Bottom