Which router

Associate
Looking for a new router as the Vodafone issued one is garbage and has a habit of freezing.
Currently have 500Mbps connection, a uniform AC pro for wifi and connect a honor 3 wifi6 router just to connect the quest 3 to the pc.
I previously had a usg gateway but didn't like the parental controls.
Was looking at the Asus ac68u pro, but did also see the GL-MT6000 being recommended here and it seems cheaper but ong 500gb ram rather the the 1gb the Asus comes with, would that make a difference both seem to be quad cores?
Anything else I should look at?

Associate
As above the Flint 2 GL-MT6000 does have 1GB of RAM. Also 8GB of storage. The Flint 1 only has 512MB of RAM so maybe the 2 are getting conflated in the OP.

I have had one for a week or so and bought it primarily to mess with OpenWRT on an all in one device. It is a solid option at a fraction of the cost of an Asus equivalent. The GL.int vendor firmware v4.5.6 and latterly v4.5.8 (though that breaks LuCI in a number of ways. Primarily monitoring and WiFi controls, though if you don't use the OpenWRT interface you'd never notice it sticking to the GL.int GUI) have fixed the main launch wifi issues (it's a very new device) and "vanilla" OpenWRT is improving almost daily, though a lot less easy to configure for a layman (but very well documented and a knowledgeable community).

I can say it works fine with VR though :) and also works with Vodafone (though I've it configured as a AP presently) FTTP with PPPoe and is very easy to setup with the vendor firmware which I've done with no issue.

Edit - Whatever you decide, you may find getting the correct login details from Vodafone the hardest part if you haven't them already. They'll be in the format [email protected] but Voda chat are notorious for missing bits out or substituting a "0" for a "O" etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The flint 2 does look just as good as the Asus and a much better price especially if you buy it direct. Not sure where I got the 500gb ram from then so that makes it even better.
Are there any concerns over GL-inet being a Chinese vendor?

Associate
No. The GL.int firmware is based on open source software (OpenWRT) with some closed source parts (their GUI and latterly Mediatek closed source drivers in v4.5.8 of their software). If you were to put OpenWRT on it then it would be entirely open source.

It is certainly not like TP-Link where some router models are continually phoning home for certain built in features.

Associate
No. The GL.int firmware is based on open source software (OpenWRT) with some closed source parts (their GUI and latterly Mediatek closed source drivers in v4.5.8 of their software). If you were to put OpenWRT on it then it would be entirely open source.

It is certainly not like TP-Link where some router models are continually phoning home for certain built in features.
Seems to be quite a few problems with the firmware too. The community forums highlights them in the main thread for the router.

Associate
OP
How is the 5ghz signal, would be turning the 2.4 off anyway as using the unifi ap but the 5ghz I'd use solely for the quest 3 connection

Associate
How is the 5ghz signal, would be turning the 2.4 off anyway as using the unifi ap but the 5ghz I'd use solely for the quest 3 connection
Most of the problems reported regarding WiFi with this router relate to the 2.4Ghz band and it's interaction specifically with Apple devices in the main. Not the 5Ghz.

I have a Quest 3 and oddly enough used a Huawei Ax3 3000 (very similar to your Honor) for PCVR until recently, the MT6000 is far superior in range to that (and maybe placebo affect but seems much smoother).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Most of the problems reported regarding WiFi with this router relate to the 2.4Ghz band and it's interaction specifically with Apple devices in the main. Not the 5Ghz.

I have a Quest 3 and oddly enough used a Huawei Ax3 3000 (very similar to your Honor) for PCVR until recently, the MT6000 is far superior in range to that (and maybe placebo affect but seems much smoother).
Excellent news, just they are almost identical. May still keep it for playing in the conservatory but does sound like this will be great for the quest. We are all in on android anyway so should be fine if I choose to use the 2.4

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom