Which tablet £200

Soldato
I have a Samsung Galaxy tab a7 lite that I got a couple of years ago and it's always been a bit disappointing and slow and short of space. I use it for streaming which is does just fine but browsing and 'gaming' it's pretty rubbish. This is GTA3 and GTA San Andreas mostly but I would like to faff with more games.

I was shocked to see it is still for sale, I thought mobile soc space was fast moving and it would have been superceded by now. I haven't been up to speed on specific specs since my HTC One S!

So is there a tablet 10" or smaller, 64GB storage, that will be a noticeable improvement over my a7 lite? I'm fine with 720p-ish for these small screens. The A9 seems like a sensible upgrade?

Soldato
Honor Pad X9? £140 at Argos, better half hasn't tried games yet, but decent for browsing and media.

I have been looking at this model too. How’s the OS?

It should get security updates for a while I think it came out June this year.

Ended up getting the Honor Pad X9 from Honor for £135 take a look at that one @almoststew1990

Last edited:
Soldato

Ended up getting the Honor Pad X9 from Honor for £135 take a look at that one @almoststew1990

Not had a play on it myself yet, so no idea sorry, but no complaints from better half. It's replacing a Surface Pro 4 (?) that is showing its age a bit and has worsening touchscreen issues.

Associate

I got this for my kid - its a really nice screen - but I havnt used it much and either has my kid (hes got autism and refuses to use anything but his old cracked screen tablet ... go figure ...) - its def worth the price. The screen is a bit small for me thou - I prefer 12" or 12.5 but the 11.5~ is that what the x9 is? is still good.

Soldato
I have an Honor Pad 8 myself which I really like but I was disappointed to discover that it won't get any major Android OS update only security patches. So the tablet was released with Android 12 (magic OS 6.1) and will stay on Android 12 (Magic OS 6.1) until the end. The X9 will probably be the same albeit with Android 13 (magic OS 7.1)

Associate
I purchased the Honor Pad X9 for my partner at christmas for her reading mostly but it does everything really well. Everything we've thrown at it just works great. I had a sneaky £50 off at Very and bagged it for around £100 which sweetened the deal but it's worth every penny!

I have an Honor Pad 8 myself which I really like but I was disappointed to discover that it won't get any major Android OS update only security patches. So the tablet was released with Android 12 (magic OS 6.1) and will stay on Android 12 (Magic OS 6.1) until the end. The X9 will probably be the same albeit with Android 13 (magic OS 7.1)
You might be able to get a custom rom /setup from the xda forums ;) or something similar. I haven't looked around for anything like that yet but I will do at some point in the future. (It's not my tablet to play with) She'll kill me if I start tinkering!

Last edited:
Soldato
I purchased the Honor Pad X9 for my partner at christmas for her reading mostly but it does everything really well. Everything we've thrown at it just works great. I had a sneaky £50 off at Very and bagged it for around £100 which sweetened the deal but it's worth every penny!

You might be able to get a custom rom /setup from the xda forums ;) or something similar. I haven't looked around for anything like that yet but I will do at some point in the future. (It's not my tablet to play with) She'll kill me if I start tinkering!

How is your partner finding the battery life?

Was thinking of getting this for my son, so it would primarily be used for videos and some learning games so just wanted to know if the battery could hold up to an ungodly amount of Paw Patrol and PJ Masks!

Associate
How is your partner finding the battery life?

Was thinking of getting this for my son, so it would primarily be used for videos and some learning games so just wanted to know if the battery could hold up to an ungodly amount of Paw Patrol and PJ Masks!
It will definitely do a full day of video, browsing and gaming! My partner loves the tablet but she can't say how well the battery performs as it only get's used for a little bit at a time each day. It only gets charged every few days though if that's any indication ;)

I had a nosey at the battery stats which isn't very detailed at all. It only really shows stat's when it's in use and doesn't have a good detailed history of useage :( I can say that it does last a long time though between charges.

Apologies for the long wait for a reply!

Soldato
It will definitely do a full day of video, browsing and gaming! My partner loves the tablet but she can't say how well the battery performs as it only get's used for a little bit at a time each day. It only gets charged every few days though if that's any indication ;)

I had a nosey at the battery stats which isn't very detailed at all. It only really shows stat's when it's in use and doesn't have a good detailed history of useage :( I can say that it does last a long time though between charges.

Apologies for the long wait for a reply!

Thanks very much for the info!

Associate
Rather than start a new thread.

Is the Honor Pad X9 still a decent proposal for a budget tablet? Looking for something to bring camping every now and then, so don't need anything expensive:

- Android.
- Want to be able to to transfer a few films to from my PC before hand. Most likely 1080p films. Will it be ok with .MKV?
- 1080p Youtube and Twitch streaming.
- No interest in gaming
- Decent battery life a bonus, but will also bring a power bank to charge.
- Wifi and Bluetooth.
- Don't care about camera.
- Little bloatware, although of there is any then it wil be easy to uninstall.

Ta.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
i currently use a samsung s6 lite 2022...bought a year ago for £160
(though it was via samsung employee portal via bluelightcard, so not always accessible to everyone)

rumours that the 2024 version is going to be released soon-ish
apparently release price is 400 euro but samsung always offers discounts and trade-ins i suspect it would be closer to £200 once all of these are included

Man of Honour
Two weeks ago I spent around 4 days looking up a new tablet and comparing them all.
I then had a brainwave, why not have a laptop that converts into a Tablet?
My life has changed and I'm typing on it now in Tablet mode.
I ended up going to Amazon Renew and buying an HP i5, 8gb ram and 512gb SSD and I'm well made up.
It did cost £300 but absolute bargain.

Man of Honour
I dunno...I never got on with my 2-in-1 laptop/tablet and promptly gave it to my mother to use as she was moaning how her old one was slow
Also partly due to windows 10 not being very well optimised for tablet use, the keyboard not being detachable so was too heavy to be used as a tablet for long periods, and the battery was crap compared to proper tablets.

Now have a separate tablet and laptop.

Associate
Cheers for your comments guys. I'll probably go for the cheapo X9 for around £150. Given it's likely limited usage it's more than sufficient.

The alternative would be just bring my laptop camping instead, then spend about the same on something like an Anker power station to charge it 3/4 times. Got a month to think about it and check the prices anyway.

Man of Honour
I dunno...I never got on with my 2-in-1 laptop/tablet and promptly gave it to my mother to use as she was moaning how her old one was slow
Also partly due to windows 10 not being very well optimised for tablet use, the keyboard not being detachable so was too heavy to be used as a tablet for long periods, and the battery was crap compared to proper tablets.

Now have a separate tablet and laptop.

It's a life changer for me over my Huawei Tablet this last week with the added bonus of proper Windows 10.
Watched football on it tonight and then put it into portrait mode for normal internet.
The best of every world.

It also had another use on Saturday, I took it to a gig with my band, plugged it into my 16 channel digital mixer and it recorded to separate tracks on the Laptop that I could then put into a DAW for proper mixing.

Associate
I went with one a couple of weeks ago. Perfectly good for browsing and video / youtube/twitch streaming. Not used it a great deal as yet, but no regrets for the £138 I paid on Honor's website.

Only downside is it takes a while to charge, as no fast charge it seems.

Back
Top Bottom