• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's the daddy? Cores > IPC & Frequency ?

Associate
This article claims that in many games (list below) the number of cores > frequency however when you look at the 7700k vs 4770k its clear that IPC & frequency wins.

The 6900k (8/16) vs 7700k /(4/8) is only 7% faster (3.2hgz 8/16) vs 4.2 (4/8)

Can anyone do the math to show correlation of frequency & cores vs fps? e.g. if you had 6900k @ 4.2hgz and 7700k @ 4.2hgz - i suspect that the gains would not be vast.

I'm not looking for a value for money comparison, that segways into another subject.

https://videocardz.com/66354/core-count-vs-frequency-what-matters-for-gaming

screenshot_164.png

screenshot_165.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@Techen

I've posted the results of 14 games and a range of CPU's, with relative questions. Why post a chart showing core performance variance in 1 game as it doesn't answer the question in the thread (Frequency vs volume of cores)

Associate
Depends on the application.

Some take advantage of more cores, some see little gain.

If your overclocking the x99 chips will do better.
You will get a higher % increase on x99 as they are clocked lower at stock.

For gaming a overclocked 7700k is plenty fast enough for most games.

Soldato
Proof being that if coded properly for multi-core, then it should be using all cores. The flip side is most games probably DON'T take advantage of multi-core, due to poor coding.

Soldato
@Techen

I've posted the results of 14 games and a range of CPU's, with relative questions, what is the point of posting a chart showing core performance variance in 1 game as it doesn't answer any of the questions in the thread?

Because it depends on the game? No need to get upset!

intel-7700k-aots-benchmark.png

Stock 4970k vs 7700k at 5.1ghz has 8fps increase.

Soldato
This article claims that in many games (list below) the number of cores > frequency however when you look at the 7700k vs 4770k its clear that IPC & Frequency wins, unless im interpreting this wrong?

The 6900k (8/16) vs 7700k /(4/8) is only 7% faster (3.2hgz 8/16) vs 4.2 (4/8)

Can anyone do the math to show correlation of frequency & cores vs fps? e.g. if you had 6900k @ 4.2hgz and 7700k @ 4.2hgz - i suspect that the gains would not be vast.

I'm not looking for a value for money comparison, that segways into another subject.

https://videocardz.com/66354/core-count-vs-frequency-what-matters-for-gaming

screenshot_164.png

screenshot_165.png

You have to take into account this is all at Stock Clocks... the 7700K has a higher stock clock than the 6 and 8 core parts.. so while its IPC looks great its clocked much higher, obviously you can clock the 7700k really high, but you can also clock the 8/16's as well, and im not sure the 7700k can make up any significant ground, while the 6 and 8's will not clock as high, they have more cores to apply the clocks to, ontop of this Intels HT is nowhere near as strong as AMD's SMT it seems, i suggest we wait to see Ryzen Benchmarks in these games, would be good if Computerbase done a comparison with these stock clocks and then all chips overclocked, then you could really see whats what.

If a 7700k gets 100% IPC on its 4 physical cores, and its reduced on its HT cores, not sure how much, say 50%? the other Intel chips would be similar.

It appears Ryzen is better than this, while its phyiscal cores might be lower IPC, its SMT cores see a much higher percentage of performance.

Now if the Intel 6 and 8's also scale like the 7700k , you add more physical and virtual cores you can kinda workout the performance difference.

This is just some made up maths but its purely used for example purposes

If 7700k is 4p 4 v cores @ stock

7700k @ 4.2 (stock all cores)
4p = 420 per core = 1680
4v = 210 per core = 840
Total = 2520

7700k @ 4.5 all cores
4p = 450 per core = 1800
4v = 225 per core = 900
total = 2700

7700k @ 5ghz all cores
4p = 500 per core = 2000
4v = 250 per core = 1000
Total = 3000

6800K @ 3.4 (stock all cores)
6p = 100 per core = 2040
6v = 50 per core = 1020
Total = 3060

6900K @ 3.2 (stock all cores)
8p = 100 per core = 2560
8v = 50 per core = 1280
Total = 3840

So with the above example we can see how utilising more cores increases the overall performance. Even if 7700k was clocked to its max it would still fall behind as it cannot make up the ground on more cores being present.

Now if we added in Ryzen with its even better SMT the scores should be pretty good, but we dont know the value of its single core performance, in the above example Intel is 100%, so if Ryzen is say 70% IPC it would be pretty easy to model.

Anyhow i could be talking a whole lot of guff, but my point is, where a game can fully utilise all of its cores, multi core processors should be better, the higher clock you can get on the 7700k will only take you so far, where the lower clock speed but higher core count will pull you ahead.

Last edited:
Associate
Been weighing this up myself recently, with Ryzen's launching soon, I'm wondering what's going to be the CPU of choice for future proofing for gaming, I get jealous of seeing people with 2600k's and 2700k's in there sigs paired with 1070 and 1080's! My fx8350 was a bad investment (lasted me along time though to be fair) and I don't want to make the same mistake

Soldato
Been weighing this up myself recently, with Ryzen's launching soon, I'm wondering what's going to be the CPU of choice for future proofing for gaming, I get jealous of seeing people with 2600k's and 2700k's in there sigs paired with 1070 and 1080's! My fx8350 was a bad investment (lasted me along time though to be fair) and I don't want to make the same mistake

No such thing as "future proofing"

Also I'm still using a i7 950. And I'm not even overclocking it, still running at stock, games are fine. And will continue to use it till games are unplayable.

Can't see why your fx8350 is a badchip

Soldato
No such thing as "future proofing"

Also I'm still using a i7 950. And I'm not even overclocking it, still running at stock, games are fine. And will continue to use it till games are unplayable.

Can't see why your fx8350 is a badchip

Hell even the 2600k clocks upto 5ghz and is still doing well.

Associate
Those older AMD chips are just a bit rubbish.
Even when average Fps was ok I had very variable performance in many games with much lower minimum Fps than I wanted.

The fact that your I7 950 is still OK makes this thread pretty pointless.
Any modern cpu should be fine for gaming.
Its all about the gpu.

Associate
OP
@hornetstinger - Agreed.

@Techen - I don't think you understand the question, but i know you trying to be helpful (im not upset fella) so i'll try to explain as the 2nd chart you've posted shows frequency vs fps on 4 core 8 thread cpu's.

I'm looking to understand the performance difference of a skylake or kaby lake (same IPC) clock for clock 8 core 16 thread vs 4 core 8 thread for a range of games. Hope that makes sense?

@SiDeards73 - yeah i know they are all stock clocks, hence the question of frequency (clock for clock e.g. both @ 4.2hgz & 4/8 & 8/16)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea I get you, I pre ordered a ryzen 7 but I wont say a 7700k wont slap the floor over the 8 cores on the ryzen for gaming. Dx12 is a great platform for muticore and mutithreading but it would be up to the devs to spend that extra time and effort in making it work. Lets face it most devs arent interested in that and thats fair. Anyone that buys a ryzen 7 expecting it to beat a intel 4 core in gaming is insane. The ryzen 7 was never designed for gaming, AMD like to market that its "Great" which is abit silly.

At the end of the day. The reason am moving from the 4790k to a Ryzen 7 is because if I had upgraded to a 7700k Id have gained nothing but a few fps where is the ryzen 7 even if I loose 5fps over my old cpu am still gaining an extra 4 cores and 8 threads for muti tasking and video rendering ;D

(On my mobile)

Associate
@hornetstinger - Agreed.
@Techen - I don't think you understand the question, but i know you trying to be helpful (im not upset fella) so i'll try to explain as the 2nd chart you've posted shows frequency vs fps on 4 core 8 thread cpu's.

I'm looking to understand the performance difference of a skylake or kaby lake (same IPC) clock for clock 8 core 16 thread vs 4 core 8 thread for a range of games. Hope that makes sense?

@SiDeards73 - yeah i know they are all stock clocks, hence the question of frequency (clock for clock e.g. both @ 4.2hgz & 4/8 & 8/16)

On a range of games they are very similar.

If you play a particular game that needs a strong single core 7700k is better.
If you play a particular game that's mulithreaded a x99 chip is better.

Fundamentally they are all going to be ok.
Then it's down to cost / performance.

X99 really shows its advantage in other uses, if your encoding video or doing anything that scales with cores x99 will be better.

I would wait for ryzen reviews, it may be a good balance of cost cores and performance.

Associate
OP

Hopefully someone can shed light on the matter.

The Hypothesis : Ryzen/Skylake/Kabylake have within the range or error identical IPC. I'm trying to cut through the 'noise' of the ryzen launch and understand the performance gain in of popular current gaming titles of a 4.2ghz 4c/8t CPU vs a 8c/16t cpu with idential IPC. This will help me decide to order a new CPU or not.....

Cheers.

Soldato
The point i was trying to make above, badly it seems, was say Intel IPC is worth 100 units per 1ghz, and AMD Ryzen is worth 90 units per 1ghz, Intels HT is worth 50 units per 1ghz, but AMDs SMT is worth 70 units per ghz

Intel 7700k @ 5ghz all cores would be worth = 750 units
Intel 6900k @ 4ghz all cores would be worth = 1200 units
AMD Ryzen @ 4ghz all cores would be worth = 1280 units

all totally theoretical of course and probably a very bad example

Soldato
Hopefully someone can shed light on the matter.

The Hypothesis : Ryzen/Skylake/Kabylake have within the range or error identical IPC. I'm trying to cut through the 'noise' of the ryzen launch and understand the performance gain in of popular current gaming titles of a 4.2ghz 4c/8t CPU vs a 8c/16t cpu with idential IPC. This will help me decide to order a new CPU or not.....

Cheers.

I agree but one thing to consider, Intels HT appears to be considerably weaker than AMD's SMT, Hopefully Computerbase update their scores with Ryzen in the list, Ryzens IPC is not bad either it seems.

Back
Top Bottom