Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Associate
Hmmm, you could be on to something there as I run pfblockerng on my pfSense firewall. I'm getting exactly the same symptoms as you describe. However, I have a YT Premium account... therefore, surely adblocking shouldn't be causing it? That's pretty terrible if it is...!

Man of Honour
Hmmm, you could be on to something there as I run pfblockerng on my pfSense firewall. I'm getting exactly the same symptoms as you describe. However, I have a YT Premium account... therefore, surely adblocking shouldn't be causing it? That's pretty terrible if it is...!

I have zero ad-blocking in place normally for YT. My take on it so far is I think they've embedded certain functionality relevant to trying to defeat ad-blocking into the system which isn't working quite perfectly and sometimes [unintentionally] disrupting playback regardless of whether you are blocking ads or not, using Premium or not, etc. but it seems intermittent and for some reason not impacting people widely enough to result in complaints - possibly due to a lot of people only watching a relatively short amount of YT per day and just reloading the page the odd time it happens and thinking nothing of it - whereas I'm probably using YT for several hours a day even if that is just background stuff like music.

Often the problem manifests itself at the exact same point in a video and/or usually in a place where an ad *might* be so my guess is it is related to ads in some way and some problem in the YT back end.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is one issue where having ambient mode (setting in the player) can make YouTube laggy in Firefox, but I don't think that affects the video buffer. Could try turn it off anyway and see if that could help.

Associate
I have zero ad-blocking in place normally for YT. My take on it so far is I think they've embedded certain functionality relevant to trying to defeat ad-blocking into the system which isn't working quite perfectly and sometimes [unintentionally] disrupting playback regardless of whether you are blocking ads or not, using Premium or not, etc. but it seems intermittent and for some reason not impacting people widely enough to result in complaints - possibly due to a lot of people only watching a relatively short amount of YT per day and just reloading the page the odd time it happens and thinking nothing of it - whereas I'm probably using YT for several hours a day even if that is just background stuff like music.

Yep I think you're right, thanks... I don't think I would have made the connection because I don't see ads on YT but sounds like these new anti-adblocking features are included for their premium users too, which is pretty daft of them.

Man of Honour
There is one issue where having ambient mode (setting in the player) can make YouTube laggy in Firefox, but I don't think that affects the video buffer. Could try turn it off anyway and see if that could help.

Doubt it is that but I'll try with it off - though the issue is quite intermittent so difficult to be sure unless it goes away entirely.

Man of Honour
Something which is weird with it - if I encounter it in Firefox and immediately switch to watching the same video in Chrome - I'll often get the glitch at the exact same spot in Chrome but instead of the player stalling it just flashes up a corrupt frame for a split second then continues as normal.

Last edited:
Associate

Funnily enough, I only recently turned ambient mode off. That damn mode made me think there was something wrong with my oled panel. Bit of digging and found out it was the ambient mode causing it. It looks so much better with it off, not sure if it looks better on other panel types but it looks awful on oled! Now it's making me think if turning it off has caused the problem, but maybe just a coincidence...

Soldato
Is there a way to disable the "Visit from clipboard" 'feature' which shows in the address bar when you have a URL in your clipboard?

Edit: Just found it after posting. Visit about:config, search for browser.urlbar.suggest.clipboard and change this to false.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looks like the latest version of Firefox has substantially reduced the memory footprint - but also by doing so seems to use much more aggressive memory management making it slightly busier in the background than before.

Soldato
Looks like the latest version of Firefox has substantially reduced the memory footprint - but also by doing so seems to use much more aggressive memory management making it slightly busier in the background than before.
I don't think I'm seeing the 25% "quicker on-average page loads" which is mentioned on this page which you are shown after Firefox has updated to v125.0.1.

Soldato
Mine just updated. I ran that Speedometer 3 thing, no idea what this means. :D

Speedometer3.jpg

Is that good? How can a benchmark just spit out an arbitrary number. 9.25 gigawatts? 9.25 cats? :D

Man of Honour
Getting the problems with YT really bad today and not a bandwidth/connection issue as I can play 2 YT videos side by side and one will run fine even at 4K, etc. while the other is constantly stopping, re-buffering, skipping or playing the audio with the picture frozen, etc.

Back
Top Bottom