Wife constantly passed over for promotion

Soldato
I’ll give you the same advice I give apprentices…
Have no loyalty to a company they’ll dump you as soon as things get hard and will pay you as low as they can, if you aren’t earning or learning it’s time to look elsewhere.

She should start looking elsewhere for similar but better paid work and subtly let it be known to the few office gossipers. If she’s as valuable as she says she is the company will suddenly find money to keep her.

Companies love loyalty, it means they can pay less

Man of Honour
If you’re good at your job and have a good work ethic, then you’ll be good wherever you go. Often great workers don’t make good managers, I’d question if your wife would be good at managing people, why would I question this, (and I mean no malice in this) she has been letting her employees walk over her, that isn’t the sign of someone who’d be a good manager.

If she likes her job, if she likes where she is working and the customers, why does she need promotion. Instead speak to the boss, tell them you are looking for a higher paid job and go for a pay increase instead.

Being a good manager is not about being the best worker. Hope she finds happiness in whatever she decides to do and one final thought, does she really want promotion or is she going for it to appease you.

This is where I'm at, I know the job inside out, but I'm not a good people manager although that is partly because I worked with most of the people under me at the same level for over a decade before ending up in a supervisor/covering as duty manager position in a fit of "if you want something done properly, do it yourself"... it is easier to manage people when you don't have a long standing relationship with them as a peer.

I'm sometimes blind sided by lazy people finding a shortcut, which is actually useful to increase productivity when utilised properly, because I'm too conscientious and too inclined to stick to formality, etc. and end up unnecessarily doing something the hard/long way around for what is actually no good reason.

Last edited:
Soldato
My advice would be move. The emotional stress this company have caused your wife cannot and should not be ignored. Get out and work for somewhere else with a much better concept of employee satisfaction.

This may also be an option that is often overlooked, but what about retraining? Use the opportunity to retrain for a job that gives job satisfaction as well as decent salary.

I know someone who moved from a well paid job in accounting to train as a nurse. She did this in her 30s over 10 years ago and is delighted where she ended up in cardio getting immense satisfaction just helping people.

Associate
OP
My advice would be move. The emotional stress this company have caused your wife cannot and should not be ignored. Get out and work for somewhere else with a much better concept of employee satisfaction.

This may also be an option that is often overlooked, but what about retraining? Use the opportunity to retrain for a job that gives job satisfaction as well as decent salary.

I know someone who moved from a well paid job in accounting to train as a nurse. She did this in her 30s over 10 years ago and is delighted where she ended up in cardio getting immense satisfaction just helping people.

She wants to work with kids, and was so close to getting a job at a nursery, but she then decided the pay cut was too much (despite me advising otherwise) and I would have to do the school drop off and collect from child minders. Which couldn't work, my job is flexible I can go in late and leave late or go in early and leave early but can't do both.

The child minders are sticklers aswell as they only work till 5. We would put him elsewhere but we are in. Village and there isn't any other choice

Soldato
Pics of wife?

This, otherwise how can we be in a position to comment?

To the OP: Jokes aside if it makes you feel any better my wife is the same, been at the company she works for over 15 years. The most recent shenanigan is giving her a director title and no pay rise, she didn't even have a choice about it.

I wish she's leave but she won't, it's a small ish company do I just sit in hope one day it goes under.

Soldato
She just needs to leave, even a 7 year old can see it. As others said it may be a "face doesn't fit" issue or they may just need her to perform in her current role. Either way she be out of there, it's not like there aren't a ton of similar jobs out there.

Soldato
she has this sense of duty to the company and her colleagues and customers (for why I don't understand) but I also feel.shes scared of leaving something she knows inside out.
This is a good time to remind everyone on the job market you are a mercenary and you go to whoever pays the best or what ever catches your fancy. There is no loyalty here.

Your second sentence is quite interesting. The fear of starting from scratch is very real and I think it gets stronger as people get older because they haven’t had to do it in a long time. Have you tried speaking to her about this?

Also I would echo what others said, she should just move jobs.

Last edited:
Soldato
She should just start interviewing elsewhere to see what's out there and how she feels about it.

There's absolutely no obligation to accept a job offer but it might change her mind and give her a push or at least some ammunition in future negotiations.

I was tempted to leave my job for different reasons so started interviewing and it brought me the clarity I needed to make a decision and to initiate dialogue with HR. I ended up staying but on more pay and with the things I was unhappy with getting resolved.

Last edited:

Soldato
look elsewhere,

i'm assuming motor factors? plenty out there and dare i say it customers will follow where they know they can get a decent reliable service. an extra couple of £££ on a part is bugger all when you know you can pickup the phone and get the correct part first time and out on the next van.

even if she interviews elsewhere doesnt mean she has to leave. but always wise to explore your options every now and then

Associate
Question: When you mean 9 years ago, was that 2015? Or 2016? (Just curious as both could be valid).

Speculation: Would suspect your wife won't be ready (be able) to move until some time (August maybe?) of 2025 (next year) though. Primarily (as others have said) she's not ready to move; she's got too much loyalty and desire to stay it appears. And of course, there's no offer that tempts her right now on hand to change jobs.

Suggestion: Nothing really better on hand, others have given great suggestions already. But yeah, wishing your wife all the best at progress with work.

Background: Have a kid that was in this very situation; Promotions were being passed over to nobodies with no experience. And the manager was terrible, where all the work done was my kid and the manager took the credit. Changed work and things have been better, although some issues have remained, but it's more to do with the kids personality and lack of desire to look for change as well.

Associate
I'd like to also point out that even if she did "drop tools" one day, no matter how busy that day, the company and staff are lightly so incompetent that they couldn't acknowledge any issues caused by a good employee leaving, let alone it being their own fault for it getting to that situation.

This sounds like a fight you, your wife, and child are losing. Longer this goes on, the worse it'll be.

Your wife will benefit from leaving and gaining experience elsewhere. If she were that (life and work) experienced already, she'd know the company is a loss cause.

Best of luck.

Soldato
look elsewhere,

i'm assuming motor factors? plenty out there and dare i say it customers will follow where they know they can get a decent reliable service. an extra couple of £££ on a part is bugger all when you know you can pickup the phone and get the correct part first time and out on the next van.

even if she interviews elsewhere doesnt mean she has to leave. but always wise to explore your options every now and then
This - a competitor is likely to bite her arm off, especially if her current firm haven't put anything in her contract about not poaching clients.

EDIT: She needs to get out of her current mindset and realise how good she is at her job and that she can be equally competent somewhere else that will appreciate her talents. Many people don't like change and that's understandable but if you're in a position where you can survive if it didn't work out and she wasn't working for a while then she has nothing to fear really.

Last edited:
Soldato
I find most who get promoted are good at pretending, sucking up, talking ******** and have ability to talk about anything forever.

I think there is definitely a risk of being over productive.

I think you need to be good at what you do, but if you are good at what you do and also work your ass off at 100% of the time company won't promote you, and actually will start taking it for granted.

I think you need an attitude of yes, being good at what you go, and whilst not being too negative, also don't be too positive, and try and generally have the attitude that you are really not that bothered about the job or company, then oddly they seem to want you more.

In that respect very much like women, the more you ignore them the more they want your attention.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom