Will macOS Ventura help my Mac?

Soldato
since getting my MacBook Retina, I have left it on Big Sur for the moment. my model can support up to Ventura..should I upgrade? will I get any benefit from it speed wise etc?

I only do day to day tasks, an dit runs flawlessly at them.

Soldato
since getting my MacBook Retina, I have left it on Big Sur for the moment. my model can support up to Ventura..should I upgrade? will I get any benefit from it speed wise etc?

I only do day to day tasks, an dit runs flawlessly at them.
Unless there's some specific software or hardware that isn't supported then keeping on the latest release you can is definitely recommended, for security patches if nothing else :)

My 2013 Mac Pro will only officially go to Monterey and I've already started to find some software that requires at least Ventura

Soldato
Unless there's some specific software or hardware that isn't supported then keeping on the latest release you can is definitely recommended, for security patches if nothing else :)
Seconded; unless software/hardware support is an issue, upgrade. Although given Apple's "excellent" QA on MacOS these days, wait on new major releases, let the 'diehards' find the bugs and issues and grab the x.1/x.2.

Soldato
Seconded; unless software/hardware support is an issue, upgrade. Although given Apple's "excellent" QA on MacOS these days, wait on new major releases, let the 'diehards' find the bugs and issues and grab the x.1/x.2.
Honestly I upgrade all my Apple devices as soon as a new update comes out for them. I haven't had any problems with x.0 releases really. The only problem is it takes a couple of hours to update everything.

Soldato
Honestly I upgrade all my Apple devices as soon as a new update comes out for them. I haven't had any problems with x.0 releases really. The only problem is it takes a couple of hours to update everything.
I have to admit, I've had a few more issues with Sonoma than I'd like...the most annoying being it seemed to introduce a bug which caused my hub (which had always been rock solid) to keep dropping out every 10 minutes taking the network with it which a point release upgrade to Sonoma with no changes to the dock seems to have solved...

Soldato
It's mostly luck of the draw although the majority of your typical Apple consumer wouldn't notice the a lot of bugs as they don't really delve into any real depth on MacOS and don't particular use devices outside of the typical norm. There was a 'refresh rate' bug with Ventura/Sonoma which resulted in failed updates if the refresh rate was set to anything other than the default, the average joe probably wouldn't stumble on that, in a business environment with hundreds/thousands of Mac's you probably would; same with a 'binding' bug a decade or so ago (that was a very long weekend rolling back the company).
Apple also habit of introducing bugs and breaking fixes between various betas and final RC, which vendors have moaned about for years.

Personally i feel Apple was better years ago when engineers weren't rushing to produce yearly majors and could concentrate on stability and reliability rather than having to add (imo, pointless) "features" like new emojis and wallpapers.
It's one reason i haven't moved to Sonoma (on personal Macs) as it offers me absolutely zilch over Ventura; i'll move when Ventura stops getting security patches.

Soldato
It's mostly luck of the draw although the majority of your typical Apple consumer wouldn't notice the a lot of bugs as they don't really delve into any real depth on MacOS and don't particular use devices outside of the typical norm. There was a 'refresh rate' bug with Ventura/Sonoma which resulted in failed updates if the refresh rate was set to anything other than the default, the average joe probably wouldn't stumble on that, in a business environment with hundreds/thousands of Mac's you probably would; same with a 'binding' bug a decade or so ago (that was a very long weekend rolling back the company).
Apple also habit of introducing bugs and breaking fixes between various betas and final RC, which vendors have moaned about for years.

Personally i feel Apple was better years ago when engineers weren't rushing to produce yearly majors and could concentrate on stability and reliability rather than having to add (imo, pointless) "features" like new emojis and wallpapers.
It's one reason i haven't moved to Sonoma (on personal Macs) as it offers me absolutely zilch over Ventura; i'll move when Ventura stops getting security patches.
I'd love for them to reduce their release cadence back to how it used to be with releases every 2/3 years...does it really need to be yearly?

Back
Top Bottom