Win 11 secureboot and TPM motherboards

Man of Honour
Yes. The TPM is built into the CPU, though AMD's fTPM has a somewhat dubious reliability history.

If you want to double check, download the motherboard BIOS manual from their website, or check a YouTube video that shows the BIOS options.

Man of Honour
yes, I guessed they all needed it to be Win 11 compatible but thought i would ask here to make sure - cheers
If you want to give yourself a bit more insurance, I'd recommend choosing a board that has an external TPM, so if you have problems with the CPU one you can replace it.

Man of Honour
Windows 11 needs one along with secure boot or is it just secure boot it needs ?
It needs the TPM, but like I said, it is built into the CPU. The reason I suggest having the header is just so that if you have problems (google: "AMD fTPM issues"), you have the option of buying one and turning off the CPU TPM.

Soldato
You can install Windows 11 without the CPU, MEM and TPM checks, you interrupt the install and run regedit, add a few values and it installs and runs fine, had to do this for testing VMs.
I tried this on a Surface Laptop 1 that didn't meet Win11 requirements, it installed, but would frequently crash when performing operations that I presume were using the TPM

Associate
I'd be shocked if any board manufactured in the last 18 months by a reputable brand didn't have full windows 11 tpm compatability

Back
Top Bottom