Windows 11 new install stuck at random %'s

Soldato
Recently built a new system for a friend with a 7800x3d and a 4090 with 32gb ram.

Boots and posts fine, everything is detected in bios and left at default settings. Temps are good at 30c idle for the cpu and fan stop works fine on the gpu too with good idle temps.

Installation goes fine up until 90 odd % where it just stops. We've let it for an hour or so but no further progress. Tried 3 attempts all with the same outcome but stops at 91%, 94% and 98%. The system isn't frozen, you can still click and cancel the install etc so i don't think it's a heat problem.

Any other ideas?

I'm currently doing another boot media via usb again to see if its a corrupt drive. I've no idea what the windows 11 version is on the current drive either.

Soldato
Check the health of the drive you're installing to and make sure all is well. If you can, I'd do a secure erase of the drive, leave it for about 5 minutes, then try again.

Run MemTest to make sure the RAM is working as it should.

Is the system on the latest BIOS? If not, then I'd definitely consider upgrading it. I like to reset the BIOS to defaults before and after upgrading, just to reduce the risk of rogue settings.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Check the health of the drive you're installing to and make sure all is well. If you can, I'd do a secure erase of the drive, leave it for about 5 minutes, then try again.

Run MemTest to make sure the RAM is working as it should.

Is the system on the latest BIOS? If not, then I'd definitely consider upgrading it. I like to reset the BIOS to defaults before and after upgrading, just to reduce the risk of rogue settings.

Sounds good, will give those all a check and get back to you.

Soldato
Yeah make another usb
Try different software first
A new build its more likely to be the install usb at fault
Have had issues using windows usb maker
I normally use rufus or yumi now
After that if it fails
Try a different usb drive

Soldato
OP
Yeah make another usb
Try different software first
A new build its more likely to be the install usb at fault
Have had issues using windows usb maker
I normally use rufus or yumi now
After that if it fails
Try a different usb drive

Quite a few options to try. Honestly never had this issue before, it's first time i've come across it and it would be on an AMD build too wouldn't it :cry:

Soldato
Sometimes it's even the
Downloaded iso
So also worth downloading another iso
Rufus and yumi should be able
To fetch it for you

Edit
Forgot about ventoy
Like yumi you can put multiple
Install iso on there
Ventoy has big advantage
Just drag and drop isos on it
Once set up
No need to run program after first use
It also supports fixed disc
Big advantage for me
I have it installed on a nvme
No more looking for my usb
Plus added speed too
I have all my Install isos on it
Plus all my bootable environments
Full of recovery and testing tools

Last edited:
Soldato
It's pretty hard to go wrong when extracting an ISO to a USB stick. Just use Diskpart to completely erase the drive, create a FAT32 partition then set the partition as active.

After running Diskpart from the command prompt follow the below, with the commands to be entered shown in bold:
  1. Type in list disk and identify your USB drive from the list. I'll use disk 2 for this example.
  2. select disk 2
  3. clean
  4. create partition primary
  5. active
  6. format fs=fat32 quick
  7. assign
  8. exit
Now just use 7-Zip to extract the ISO to the root of the USB drive.

That's how I make my USB sticks. If a new version of Windows comes out, just delete the files and folders on the stick and extract the ISO again - no need to use diskpart each time.

Quite a few options to try. Honestly never had this issue before, it's first time i've come across it and it would be on an AMD build too wouldn't it
:cry:
You could always go Intel? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Why fat32?
I use ntfs no 4gb file size limit then

Edit
Doh! Moment
Exfat not ntfs
I seem to remember it was something to do with some BIOSes not booting from the USB drive properly unless the partition was FAT32. I've used FAT32 for a couple of years without any problems.

Last edited:
Soldato
I seem to remember it was something to do with some BIOSes not booting from the USB drive properly unless the partition was FAT32. I've used FAT32 for a couple of years without any problems.
Windows 11 64bit iso is over 4gb?
How are you fitting it on fat32?

And I may be having another doh! Moment
Got pneumonia yet again
Oxygen levels 85% not good for thinking clearly lol

Soldato
Windows 11 64bit iso is over 4gb?
How are you fitting it on fat32?

And I may be having another doh! Moment
Got pneumonia yet again
Oxygen levels 85% not good for thinking clearly lol
You're right, my untouched 64-bit ISO is ~6.4GB. But after tweaking it a little with MSMG's ToolKit, my final 64-bit ISO is ~3.8GB.

I'll try different file systems later on, maybe NTFS will work now that the UEFI BIOS is better established these days.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why not use Rufus and let it manage the USB boot device.

@Jay85 where do you see the progress % stop?

At Windows setup (PE), where you see copying files and before the first restart?
There are two restarts after this with only a spinning circle and no progress indicator.

Soldato
You're right, my untouched 64-bit ISO is ~6.4GB. But after tweaking it a little with MSMG's ToolKit, my final 64-bit ISO is ~3.8GB.

I'll try different file systems later on, maybe NTFS will work now that the UEFI BIOS is better established these days.
@Mcnumpty2323
Confirmed that NTFS does also work on my desktop PC and a laptop. There must have been some reason I chose FAT32, but it doesn't seem to matter now.

Soldato
Guess I was right to start with lol
Like I said not thinking too clearly
Though exfat will also work
Which is useful for usb drives over 16gb or might be 32gb
As for those whose who are less computer minded
Exfat is what windows will default to
On larger usb drives
Can't get fat32 on them unless use diskpart
Or other methods
Fat32 still has it uses for monitor firmware updates etc

Soldato
I recently created a USB for BIOS update. That needed to be FAT32. There used to be some HP tool years ago, but diskpart did the job.

Back
Top Bottom