Windows 11 version updates not happening?

Soldato
Apologies if this has been asked already - couldn't find a thread with a search. Windows 11 Pro 22H2 on two different brand new PCs - both HP - don't offer the option to upgrade from 22H2 to 23H2. Actually, one of them may have been 21H2. My concern is they'll never update and it's not me that will be using them. Anyone come across this before and know a solution/cause? Is it normal?!

Many thanks in advance.

Gareth

Soldato
I am in the same boat.

On Windows 11 Pro 64 bit and also only on 22H2 currently.

To be honest I am not too worried about it and I am sure it will get downloaded at some point.

Failing that you could download the 23H2 update and run that or get the latest ISO file and run that as this should be on 23H2 as well.

Soldato
OP
Did start adding this bit clearly got distracted before posting :D
Oh, all offered updates already installed and "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available" made no difference.

I have used the installation assistant on one to sort of upgrade and the length of time to put of box, uninstall bloat, update and then clean up the windows.old folder so the SSD doesn't overflow means it's faster to wipe and clean install the 23H2...but I'd rather just have it auto update by itself and I'm worried that if I do it manually, I'm just going to get bitten by this again in a year.

Man of Honour
My concern is they'll never update and it's not me that will be using them. Anyone come across this before and know a solution/cause? Is it normal?!
I would not force the update, since there are some changes under the hood (like with activation) that it might be holding back for a reason. If MS don't push them out widely through windows update, I'd say they're not ready for a full release.

Associate
I had this issue with my surface pro 7. Could not find anyway to get it to update to the latest version. In the end I just wiped everything and re-installed the latest version iso from the Microsoft website.

Soldato
OP
@Tetras That was my first thought as my own PC is technically unsupported (Threadripper CPU) and doesn't offer any version update beyond original install. Annoying but I could see a reason. These are brand new HP PCs and the install is two and three years behind. At some point that's going to bite the non-techie users in the proverbial.

@RavenLunatic Did it then install further version updates after that? Don't mind a one-off hardship but would prefer not to have to do it on a regular basis! When's the year of the Linux desktop coming again?! :rolleyes:

Associate
The ISO I downloaded in January has 23H2 baked in. I am however getting regular updates, so it appears that it is working. In its original state I was only getting malicious software removal updates which lead me to realise that the feature updates were not being offered to install. I could not find any offline windows feature update installer for windows 11. The only issue I had with re-installing windows was I had to disable secure boot in BIOS when running the Ventoy ISO thingy. Once widows was installed I could turn Secure Boot back on and it ran with no issues.

Man of Honour
@Tetras That was my first thought as my own PC is technically unsupported (Threadripper CPU) and doesn't offer any version update beyond original install. Annoying but I could see a reason. These are brand new HP PCs and the install is two and three years behind. At some point that's going to bite the non-techie users in the proverbial.
I might be mistaken in this assumption, but I'd imagine that once the Windows update version is no longer supported they would push the update out.

All of my Windows 11 PCs are still on 22H2 (EOL October 2024) and I'm not keen to have the activation issues with 23H2.

Soldato
OP
All of my Windows 11 PCs are still on 22H2
Cheers, that's sort of comforting in that it shows it isn't something odd about these two PCs.
Oddly, I came back to it this morning and turned back off "Receive updates for other Microsoft products" and "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available" but let it do the couple of Intel and Realtek updates that seemed to have caused it to do. After those and a reboot, it suddenly offered me 23H2. So it might be that it's not going to offer it until some pointless updates that it doesn't even offer by default are done. Good job it's easy and reliable! *facepalm*

Soldato
Cheers, that's sort of comforting in that it shows it isn't something odd about these two PCs.
Oddly, I came back to it this morning and turned back off "Receive updates for other Microsoft products" and "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available" but let it do the couple of Intel and Realtek updates that seemed to have caused it to do. After those and a reboot, it suddenly offered me 23H2. So it might be that it's not going to offer it until some pointless updates that it doesn't even offer by default are done. Good job it's easy and reliable! *facepalm*
Mines fully up to date and when clicking "check for updates" there is none waiting but still no 23H2 here.

Under optional updates I do have an HP update and 2 x Intel updates waiting but 1 of the Intel updates has a date of the 7/18/1968......

cm6Jfaa.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm pretty sure I've seen the really old Intel update before and it's a mistake, of course. May be worth trying to install it as it'll fail if it's an older version but it might be that it's holding up the offering of a new version.

In a twist to the story, now this PC is up to date, the user has decided they don't want it because they haven't got the space. I have a feeling there's going to be a conversation next week (that luckily I'm not involved it!) that will go along the lines of "No problem, there's a lovely PC for you to use on this spacious desk here in our office, that you can come into instead.".

Soldato
I'm pretty sure I've seen the really old Intel update before and it's a mistake, of course. May be worth trying to install it as it'll fail if it's an older version but it might be that it's holding up the offering of a new version.

In a twist to the story, now this PC is up to date, the user has decided they don't want it because they haven't got the space. I have a feeling there's going to be a conversation next week (that luckily I'm not involved it!) that will go along the lines of "No problem, there's a lovely PC for you to use on this spacious desk here in our office, that you can come into instead.".
Installed both the Intel updates and still no 23H2 but as mentioned, I am in no rush for it.

I do wonder if its not appearing as I do not "meet" the hardware requirements to install 11 (Hardware does support it but not enabled at the moment)

Soldato
OP
@opethdisciple Yeah, it's possible to do, my concern is simply that give the box to a user and will it happen by itself...'cos they sure as hell won't be downloading iso's and doing manual upgrades!

@ED209 Quite probably. My own PC works with 11 but the CPU isn't supported. If you run the health checker thing that you use to check upgrade from 10, that says not supported so I figure that explains why I'm not being offered it there.

Associate
Every time a new feature update was released from MS and not offered to me I would use the windows media creator to create me an iso I could upgrade from.

Can be used with a USB stick too.
Had this many times and likewise had to do the same.

Seems to be more common if you're running a custom PC. Ive had work machines Dell/HP that always pick them up straight away

Soldato
I enabled the requirements for Windows 11 in the bios and confirmed that its windows 11 compatible now.

Still not getting the update and on 22H2 so seems like they are still rolling it out in stages or something else is at play.

Soldato
For me, secure boot settings needed changing in the BIOS, ASUS defaults are strange. I then had to use the upgrade assistants thing. I tried the upgrade assistants before changing the BIOS setting and it failed at ~70% but worked after changing the settings.

Soldato
OP
I don't get why they need to force it on people when there's clearly a load of us WANTING the newer features! Maybe we need to come up with a reason it would be massively inconvenient if they installed it without option...so they can foist it on us without warning! :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
I might be mistaken in this assumption, but I'd imagine that once the Windows update version is no longer supported they would push the update out.

All of my Windows 11 PCs are still on 22H2 (EOL October 2024) and I'm not keen to have the activation issues with 23H2.
I have the update available now and I braved 23H2 with one of my PCs. It is still activated, so hopefully it'll stay that way. Update took very little time, shorter than a patch Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom