Windows 8 - the Features, Applications and News Thread

Soldato
But how good is it!

I don't want to install it and then have to go back to W7. :(

If you take a disk image it's not that difficult to restore windows 7 provided you have enough disk space to do it.

It's good, but I couldn't honestly just say "install it". For a start it would be irresponsible to do so considering its pre release software. The interface you're either going to like or hate, too.

Associate
Ultimately.

Do you remember when win 7 finally launched an Microsoft offered all beta tester a copy of Premium for £50 well i hope we get the same offer again.

Associate
ultimately

Do you remember when win 7 finally launched an Microsoft offered all beta tester a copy of Premium for £50 well i hope we get the same offer again.

although i can boot to win 8 iam going to wait for 2 lines first(importantly) sound driver for mystique or asus p5e3 duluxe onboard and media centre.

Associate
Nokia are making a Win 8 tablet.

I hope it looks like their new Lumia WP7 phones, they look great and the built quality is excellent, really stand out from all the other phones that pretty much all look the same these days.

Theres also rumours of Dell, HP, Asus, Toshiba, Samsung, Lenovo and others to be making W8 tablets, but thats not surprising.

Associate

I thought beta testers (official ones) not the unwashed who played with the public betas got a free copy. Didn't MS just offer lower prices for pre-orders to everyone else for a limited period?

although i can boot to win 8 iam going to wait for 2 lines first(importantly) sound driver for mystique or asus p5e3 duluxe onboard and media centre.

Media Center is in the Consumer Preview, practically identical to Windows 7.

Associate
Associate
This is my first time reading up on W8 thanks to that first post and I must say... It sounds incredible! Really looking forward to this! :D

Associate
I could make that jigsaw puzzle app using Adobe Flash within a day lol... But devs have only had a few months to learn how to make Metro apps so all the early apps are just going to be simple. Theres also still a lack of documentation from MS, but a year from now i can see the app store having tens of thousands of apps and some pretty advanced stuff. Windows Phone 7 reached 30,000 apps within a year of release (faster than Android), and Windows 8 will definitely do better than that.

Man of Honour
OP
A look at scaling to different screens:

win8scalingcommonsizes.jpg

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/03/21/scaling-to-different-screens.aspx

Man of Honour
Good blog and I know understand why they've done many things, like not letting resizing of snap. Whish they made it 320px and half screen though. But then that messes up the other app being made for 1024px so makes perfect sense.

They really have want to make sure everything works and works well and can't be broken by developers.

Soldato
First time ive delved into a windows 8 thread, I like the look of it a lot!

Very impressed with the quick boot time.

Back
Top Bottom