Windows wants a password at startup since latest update

Soldato
Since I installed latest Windows 11 update, it has started asking for a password when my PC is switched on. I never had this setup before, and under user management the option to require a password is still disabled. Anyone know how I can get rid of this?

Thanks

Soldato
Do you mean at computer startup or Windows logon?

We you using a local account without a password and now being forced to login with a Microsoft account with a password? Check your account settings to see what's changed after the update.

You may still be able to auto logon using the steps below, but I would setup a PIN instead if the password is too complex. Or is this a HTPC or shared or shared computer?

For logon check the settings in Registry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

AutoAdminLogon = 1
DefaultUserName =
DefaultPassword = (You may need to create this)

Another tool I used in combination with the above Registry settings is "netplwiz", sometimes the user setting to use a password is enabled, you need to uncheck this.

Soldato
If you're running the Pro version of Windows, you can also use Group Policy to disable it. Will be found under Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Account Policies -> Password Policy. Set max password age to 0 so the password never expires, even if you set it to blank.

Soldato
If you're running the Pro version of Windows, you can also use Group Policy to disable it. Will be found under Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Account Policies -> Password Policy. Set max password age to 0 so the password never expires, even if you set it to blank.

This won't change the password at logon setting. Same thing can be accomplished from Computer Management and user properties

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yeah its very annoying, I prefer a passwordless windows login since you just want it to boot straight into desktop its just one more headache to watch software load and get started.

I use Windows 11 Pro latest build iso.

Any work arounds that work?

Back
Top Bottom