Windows XP Licensing FAQs and common misconceptions

Associate
Q. Can I install the same copy of Windows XP on more than one computer in my own house? Can't I install one copy on my desktop and my laptop?
A. No, this has never been permitted by the Windows license. You can install Microsoft Office XP on both your desktop and your laptop, but Windows has always allowed only one installation per copy.

As I understand the MS FAQ you cannot do this for the cheaper OEM versions of Office. They are one installation per copy.

:(

Please correct me ifd I'm wrong, it will save me some £.

:)

Soldato
How do Microsoft distinguish between whether someone is re-activating an OEM version because of a reinstall (legal), and activating a previously used version on a new install on a new motherboard (illegal)? :confused:

Soldato
Doohickey said:
How do Microsoft distinguish between whether someone is re-activating an OEM version because of a reinstall (legal), and activating a previously used version on a new install on a new motherboard (illegal)? :confused:
Because the machine hardware hash sent to ms will have changed significantly.

Man of Honour
OP
eveyuk said:
Q. Can I install the same copy of Windows XP on more than one computer in my own house? Can't I install one copy on my desktop and my laptop?
A. No, this has never been permitted by the Windows license. You can install Microsoft Office XP on both your desktop and your laptop, but Windows has always allowed only one installation per copy.

As I understand the MS FAQ you cannot do this for the cheaper OEM versions of Office. They are one installation per copy.

:(

Please correct me ifd I'm wrong, it will save me some £.

:)

I'll need to check on the specifics, get some quotes from the Office EULA and add that to the FAQ.

Burnsy

Soldato
Got a question about server licensing for you all...

When you buy a server operating system from Microsoft, say Server 2003 Standard x64 like I have, you have to purchase a CAL for each machine that will access it. Now I'm struggling to work out what they mean by 'access it'- does it mean that every client I join to the domain needs a device CAL or every machine that plugs into the network and I access, say the server manager directory at \\server\mgr$, does that need a device CAL as well even if it isn't joined to the domain?

Man of Honour
OP
Trigger said:
Got a question about server licensing for you all...

When you buy a server operating system from Microsoft, say Server 2003 Standard x64 like I have, you have to purchase a CAL for each machine that will access it. Now I'm struggling to work out what they mean by 'access it'- does it mean that every client I join to the domain needs a device CAL or every machine that plugs into the network and I access, say the server manager directory at \\server\mgr$, does that need a device CAL as well even if it isn't joined to the domain?

It definetly needs a CAL if it is a member of the domain, as to just acessing a share, i'm not sure. Otacon might know or I could find out.

Burnsy

Soldato
Anything that requires authentication really, so yeah, any machine in the domain.

[edit]
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/priclicfaq.mspx#EVF
Q.
The End User License Agreement states that CALs are required for access or use of the server software and goes on to list usage examples. If I am using the server in a way that is not listed (e.g., as an application server), do I still need CALs?

A.
Yes. The list of examples in the License Terms is not exhaustive but is instead meant to illustrate some common uses of the server software. If a device or user is accessing or using the server software, a CAL is required, unless:

• access is through the Internet and is unauthenticated, or
  • access is to a server running Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, or
  • access or use is by an External User and External Connector licenses are acquired instead of CALs.

Otacon: You also don't need CALs to access Windows Storage Server - See here
Q.
Does Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 require CALs?

A.
No. Windows Storage Server does not require CALs. For additional information on use rights and requirements for Windows Storage Server, contact the manufacturer of the hardware that you acquired with Windows Storage Server 2003 R2.
Though you cant buy this standalone, only with a small number of devices from certain OEMs, and like the name suggests, it doesn't do much.

Q. Are there any differences between the requirements for CALs in Windows 2000 Server versus CALs in Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2?

A.

No. The Windows Server CAL requirements are the same. What has changed, however, is the language that specifies when a CAL is required. The Windows 2000 Server license agreement defined the product services which required a CAL (e.g. file, print, remote access, terminal services, and authenticated access). In practice, most customer usage of Windows 2000 Server accessed the file services and/or authentication features of the product and therefore required a CAL. Customer feedback indicated that it was difficult to know if a particular usage scenario met those definitions. So, for Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2, Microsoft has provided more specific language to clarify when customers require CALs.

Welcome to the pandoras box of Windows Enterprise licensing, it sucks :)

Soldato
Energize said:
If your not connected to the internet it won't.
Well you have to give them a code which contains the hash to activate it by telephone so either way you have to give them the hardware hash if you want to (legally) activate windows.

Associate
sorry for thread jumping but i was wondering if i should go for the OEM version of windows or the retail? Its just there is quite a steep difference between 50 quid and about 140 quid and i want to make sure i get the right one. :D. And with the windows vista coming out in the future it will only be the case of paying for an upgrade rather than a whole package again yea?

~cheers

Man of Honour
OP
Slyman2k4 said:
sorry for thread jumping but i was wondering if i should go for the OEM version of windows or the retail? Its just there is quite a steep difference between 50 quid and about 140 quid and i want to make sure i get the right one. :D. And with the windows vista coming out in the future it will only be the case of paying for an upgrade rather than a whole package again yea?

~cheers

Do you want the extra flaxiblity that the retail license provides? If yes then Retail of not then buy OEM.

Burnsy

Associate
Thanks Burnsy! I did not know that OEM XP won't reactivate on a different mobo. Just by chance I've never moved my OEM XP's to other systems as I've done with my other win installs a few times... now I know not to even go there.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks Burnsy! I did not know that OEM XP won't reactivate on a different mobo. Just by chance I've never moved my OEM XP's to other systems as I've done with my other win installs a few times... now I know not to even go there.

Really? Is there a way round this? Since you can buy OEM with other hardware legally, not just a MOBO. Surely the licence can be transferred with major upgrades??

Man of Honour
OP
eveyuk said:
Really? Is there a way round this? Since you can buy OEM with other hardware legally, not just a MOBO. Surely the licence can be transferred with major upgrades??

If you have a look at the misconceptions you'll see that the License isn't tied to the hardware it's bought with (indeed you no longer need to purchase it with hardware). It is attached to the system as a whole and changing the Motherboard changes the system according to MS.

The only way around this is to purchase a retail license, which isn't tied to the machine as is explained above.

Burnsy

Associate
Too late for that!

So if I upgrade my MOBO, RAM, Video card my Xp is not in licence as an OEM version? Does this apply to the OEM small business office Xp I have too? That's a very expensive upgrade.

Obviously if I had known about this I would have found the extra for the retail versions.

Back
Top Bottom