Work has moved from local file servers to cloud

Caporegime
Now I just have wait for ages while One Drive crashes /fails to sync / syncs hundreds of thousands of files. I don't know what's happening with MS One drive but since we moved everything over to it and share point we've had non stop syncing and access issues.

If people have migrated an entire file server into a single library then it will perform like balls because people will be syncing metadata for files they have no interest in. This is why it's important to have a plan. For example you might have a folder where projects that are considered to be completed and closed go, as time progresses this will become the largest folder as there will always be more completed jobs than ones in progress or being quoted for, there's no need for everybody to have something like this synced to their device when it's so easy to open a browser and dig it out.

Associate
OP
If people have migrated an entire file server into a single library then it will perform like balls because people will be syncing metadata for files they have no interest in. This is why it's important to have a plan. For example you might have a folder where projects that are considered to be completed and closed go, as time progresses this will become the largest folder as there will always be more completed jobs than ones in progress or being quoted for, there's no need for everybody to have something like this synced to their device when it's so easy to open a browser and dig it out.
I think you've hit the nugget on the head here.
We're still getting loads of syncing issues, and I'm suspecting it's because IT have set it up so that we sync to the live projects but also to the archive. The archive is large (>5Tb).
In my case I had a sync to the archive before we had transitioned the live projects to share point, and since syncing to the archive I've experienced one drive problems. Now that live projects are also on share point the issues are much worse.

Associate
The amount of tracking from duo doesn't seem that bad to me, except perhaps the need for logging ssid details, which seems unnecessary.

Yes not the worst, but for a private mobile logging details of the IP, SSID name, device serial numbers/IDs, host name (so my private network domain) wouldn't be acceptable for me.

When I monitored network traffic I also found it was sending details at times other than when in authenticating and although I could not decode what it was sending that is bad especially if it included location. Maybe it was a bug they've now fixed and for a work mobile all these details are fine and expected, but they should have a 'personal phone option' if companies aren't going to provide phones (or just use standard TOTP authenticator apps).

Associate
OP
Yes not the worst, but for a private mobile logging details of the IP, SSID name, device serial numbers/IDs, host name (so my private network domain) wouldn't be acceptable for me.

When I monitored network traffic I also found it was sending details at times other than when in authenticating and although I could not decode what it was sending that is bad especially if it included location. Maybe it was a bug they've now fixed and for a work mobile all these details are fine and expected, but they should have a 'personal phone option' if companies aren't going to provide phones (or just use standard TOTP authenticator apps).
Thanks. Very good points. I'll talk about this with work.

Associate
OP
So, another week later and we still have issues with one drive and share point. There are a few different problems, but the main issue are:
- Files taking hours to sync or not syncing at all.
- Indexing of folders and files taking hours, in some cases days.
The IT dept have said the issue is possible because of the number and size of some folder locations. For example we have an archive area that has 5TB and one of the working areas with about 2TB.

Associate
So, another week later and we still have issues with one drive and share point. There are a few different problems, but the main issue are:
- Files taking hours to sync or not syncing at all.
- Indexing of folders and files taking hours, in some cases days.
The IT dept have said the issue is possible because of the number and size of some folder locations. For example we have an archive area that has 5TB and one of the working areas with about 2TB.

You've got 5TB of data in a single SharePoint document library? Performance will be terrible if you sync a library like that, best to stick to accessing it via the web browser.

Associate
OP
You've got 5TB of data in a single SharePoint document library? Performance will be terrible if you sync a library like that, best to stick to accessing it via the web browser.
IT have said that too. They've asked us to use selective sync for folders that we want available offline, but we'll still need to sync to the whole 5TB even if we only access via a Web browser.
Why is having such a large folder a problem? Do other cloud storage services have the same limitations on the size of folders?

Caporegime
It's because 5TB of metadata is still a lot. Using Files On Demand is the default OneDrive setup now, but it still needs to sync details about every file in the library. The only fix is not to have 5TB of stuff in a library.

If it was 5TB of 100GB files it would be a lot different than what is probably your case where there are hundreds of thousands of files.

Soldato
Our work uses SharePoint & OneDrive and it's absolute crap! Slow as hell and constantly creates duplicate files if you start moving a lot around (we had to do this for ISO compliance and it was left to each team to move their own files), not to mention having to wait for it to sync if you do that. At one point I had over 3000 files waiting to sync and it took days for it to finish, then it complained it couldn't merge about 100 of the files so ended up with more duplicates 'cos they can sod off if they think I'm going to open each file and tell it which one to keep. It also regularly errors out when trying to open simple things like image files (jpg, png etc). Whoever thought this was a good idea should be slapped around the face repeatedly!

Just saying ;)

Associate
OP
Our work uses SharePoint & OneDrive and it's absolute crap! Slow as hell and constantly creates duplicate files if you start moving a lot around (we had to do this for ISO compliance and it was left to each team to move their own files), not to mention having to wait for it to sync if you do that. At one point I had over 3000 files waiting to sync and it took days for it to finish, then it complained it couldn't merge about 100 of the files so ended up with more duplicates 'cos they can sod off if they think I'm going to open each file and tell it which one to keep. It also regularly errors out when trying to open simple things like image files (jpg, png etc). Whoever thought this was a good idea should be slapped around the face repeatedly!

Just saying ;)
I'm glad it's not just me then!
I can't understand why it's so bad. It's so bad I'm trying to find work arounds so I don't need to rely on it for instant access.
I find it's incredibly slow to open files even if they are locally available. It feels like every file that is opened is checked with the online version before being opened. On the face of it, that seems sensible but the result is lots of slow file opening.
I've got excel files that just will not sync. Whenever I open them I get a message saying that the file is unable to uploaded and I need to save another copy. If I save another copy that syncs but then the next time I open it the same thing happens. It's just a simple excel file. Makes no sense.

Associate
OP
Today I uploaded about 100 files (200 mb) from one machine via the Web browser. I needed to use the files on another machine. On the second machine the upload location is synced with offline access, but it took >30 mins for the files to appear. It's 200 mb on a 500 MB/s (U/D) connection! It should be lightning fast.
In contrast I uploaded 100 mb of photos from my phone using Dropbox and the files appeared in my synced folder location on another machine in seconds.

Man of Honour
Our work uses SharePoint & OneDrive and it's absolute crap!

We've moved a lot of stuff over to it but so far I've not found it too bad, other than the constant signing stuff out and requiring signing in again, etc. some of the approaches and security policies seem more like they've done box ticking to ISO standards rather than actually implementing them in a way which would work best with a lack of joined up thinking between some stuff.

What I don't like is the work apps, which you can install on personal phones, which want to know your location and keep bothering you to enable location and they can't seem to understand why people don't want that... it took a lot to move people over from WhatsApp, etc. and IMO that has reduced efficiency and productivity though a small number of people complained about work/life balance related to the use of things like WhatsApp, the custom work apps frankly are a bit **** as well as no one wants them on their personal devices.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm glad it's not just me then!
I can't understand why it's so bad. It's so bad I'm trying to find work arounds so I don't need to rely on it for instant access.
I find it's incredibly slow to open files even if they are locally available. It feels like every file that is opened is checked with the online version before being opened. On the face of it, that seems sensible but the result is lots of slow file opening.
I've got excel files that just will not sync. Whenever I open them I get a message saying that the file is unable to uploaded and I need to save another copy. If I save another copy that syncs but then the next time I open it the same thing happens. It's just a simple excel file. Makes no sense.
Oh, I'd forgotten that. Yes, open a file only to be told you need to re-save it! Why?! Pile of utter ****! Give me a proper file server any day of the week.

We've moved a lot of stuff over to it but so far I've not found it too bad, other than the constant signing stuff out and requiring signing in again, etc. some of the approaches and security policies seem more like they've done box ticking to ISO standards rather than actually implementing them in a way which would work best with a lack of joined up thinking between some stuff.
Yeah, I think our place has basically done a box ticking exercise to get ISO compliance too. I very much expect if they had a surprise audit they would completely fail. As for mobile apps, you can stick 'em where the sun don't shine. They're not going on my phone :p

Last edited:
Associate
We migrated away from local file storage a couple of years ago. Currently using a combination of Azure Files, SharePoint and OneDrive. SharePoint works well as a document management system but have always advised users not to use it as a general file store. Users generally like using Azure Files as they are all used to network shares. While it doesn't give us features such as versioning it's fine as a general purpose shared filesystem. Using personal OneDrive for shared departmental files is always a bad idea as they will all be stored under an individual's account. When they leave the company the files need to be migrated somewhere else otherwise they'll be lost.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@Silent Bob thanks for the info. I should clarify our organisation isn't using an individuals one drive area as file server or departmental files (at least that is the policy). But the one drive app seems to be what handles synchronisation of shared storage areas on sharepoint across everyone's laptops. It seems to have settled down now, and it's mostly working OK, but I still find it really slow and frustrating to use. Lots of little niggles that altogether make it a poor user experience.
For example, the default save location for any Excel file opened is now the online sharepoint location, rather than my local synchronised location, which means every time I open and save a file it will save to cloud by default, and can minutes or longer to appear in my local folder. I can override the default save location but it's annoying! There's probably a setting somewhere to change it's default.

Back
Top Bottom