World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
First models are 34 inch ultrawide QD-OLED panels with 175hz refresh. Both Dell and Samsung have announced a new gaming monitor with this panel

Specs:

34 inch Ultrawide, 3440x1440 @ 175hz 10bit QD-OLED panel. 0.1ms response time, 99.3% DCI-P3 and 1 million:1 contrast ratio, 1000nits peak brightness, Gsync Ultimate, 3 year warranty.

Launch is in March/April, No price yet but given the 65 inch TVs are $8k usd I wouldn't be surprised if this first QD-OLED gaming monitor are several thousand too

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/dell-alienware-aw3423dw-with-34-qd-oled-panel-and-175hz-refresh-rate

Edit: Linus was given early access to test it, video below

Last edited:
Caporegime
If it's close to £1k this could be my next monitor as a replacement for my Alienware 3418DW. But I fear it's more likely to be closer to £2k to begin with.

Soldato
If it's close to £1k this could be my next monitor as a replacement for my Alienware 3418DW. But I fear it's more likely to be closer to £2k to begin with.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was getting on towards £3k sadly, I can certainly hope for a decent price but I doubt we’ll see it.

Soldato
£2K won't be enough.
Remember the price of Asus PG32UQX with mediocre response times LCD panel and its blooming backlight...

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Very impressive, didn't think we would get 34" or smaller size QD-OLEDs for a few years yet.

Can't see these being affordable though, guessing 4-6K. If its the game changer or 'OLED' replacement it appears.

Sony have their own QD-OLED production (rumoured) using LG OLEDs so this is why Sony are claiming to be the first to release their QD-OLED screens over Samsung, no idea how good Sonys QD screens are though. Hopefully production ramps up with LG and others getting onboard if its worth it and then prices
becoming affordable quickly.

Also those comparison's between LG C1 and QD-OLED, id rather believe HDTVs test and not Samsung's own set up.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
comparision-Copy.jpg

Linus reckons the new QD-OLEDs make our current OLEDs look like Dinosaurs :eek:

Rather wait for hdtv and other reviewers in a fairer and better setup comparison naturally.

Soldato
OP
comparision-Copy.jpg

Linus reckons the new QD-OLEDs make our current OLEDs look like Dinosaurs :eek:

Rather wait for hdtv and other reviewers in a fairer and better setup comparison naturally.

The image on the right looks quite over saturated and yellow. For that reason I wouldn't be too much faith in this comparison, we need proper reviewers to put them up in Apple to apples test. Samsung's marketing team does the same tricks as Intels marketing does, so rarely do they put up fair comparisons, it's usually disadvantaging one side.

But overall I do think Samsung has the edge. I took some time and went through the Spiderman footage frame by frame - and both OLEDs appear to be a 1:1 match for smoothness and pixel response. However the Samsung is brighter in some interesting ways - for example when analysing each frame it becomes clear that the Samsung is displaying a lot more snow flakes and sparks flying through the air than the LG OLED does.

Later in the video Linus shows the 34 inch monitor vs the mini-led with hundreds of dimming zones in a night time scene and that one looks more impressive as the OLED monitor has no blooming and the bright highlights are brighter

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
The image on the right looks quite over saturated and yellow. For that reason I wouldn't be too much faith in this comparison, we need proper reviewers to put them up in Apple to apples test. Samsung's marketing team does the same tricks as Intels marketing does, so rarely do they put up fair comparisons, it's usually disadvantaging one side.

Later in the video Linus shows the 34 inch monitor vs the mini-led with hundreds of dimming zones in a night time scene and that one looks more impressive as the OLED monitor has no blooming and the bright highlights are brighter

Yeah very true, Linus does somewhat mention that it is Samsung and their testing comparison here also.

Still nice to see competition and emerging technologies improving our Window boxes of late.

Soldato
Very impressive, didn't think we would get 34" or smaller size QD-OLEDs for a few years yet.

Can't see these being affordable though, guessing 4-6K. If its the game changer or 'OLED' replacement it appears.

Sony have their own QD-OLED production (rumoured) using LG OLEDs so this is why Sony are claiming to be the first to release their QD-OLED screens over Samsung, no idea how good Sonys QD screens are though. Hopefully production ramps up with LG and others getting onboard if its worth it and then prices
becoming affordable quickly.

Also those comparison's between LG C1 and QD-OLED, id rather believe HDTVs test and not Samsung's own set up.

pretty certain the QD-OLEDs Sony look set to be using are coming from Samsung Display, with Sony adding there own special sauce on top, not LG. Looks like Sony are however beating Samsung Electronics in getting QD-OLED on the tv side of things out first. The normal Sony oleds, A90K and A80K will still likely use LG panels.

either way will be pricey initially, but am hoping given that Sony have a good track record and are placing the QD-OLED in the flagship A95K above the LG panels shows they have some confidence in the tech.

Soldato
OP
Correct, Sony is not manufacturing its own OLED panels - it's sourcing it from LG and Samsung.

because Samsung electronics and Samsung display are seperate companies, the display business can sell panels to whomever first. And it appears Sony indeed beat Samsung electronics to the punch that's why their Samsung display manufactured QD-OLED tv will come to market ahead of Samsung Electronics's Samsung Display manufactured QD-OLED tv

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Could be right, its a CES rumour posted over on Avforums that Sony are using LG OLED screens for their QD-OLED launch so can't be sure.

Will be interesting to see just how much better QD-OLED is over regular OLED and if the price tag is justified.

Man of Honour
Be interesting to see how well it stacks up against the QD-LED in the Philips Momentum VAs - under-rated for image quality IMO they even make normal SD content look way more convincingly HDR than you'd believe was possible.

Soldato
I respect Linus but I'll reserve judgement until we see more in the wild. The way he talks of the current best TVs in the World being so plain in comparison I'm not buying it. Sounded forced. Sounded....like he got paid well.

Soldato
OP
quick comparison, off screen captures from the ces demo

Few things I picked up on. The dimming zones on the mini-led and fald are super aggressive and it kills bright areas in night time scenes - the QD-OLED destroys the mini-led here. Second example is more 50/50; the colors and contrast is way better on the QD-OLED but you can see the Mini-LED gets much brighter - brightness, while better than LG OLEDs, is still low compared to Mini-LED, the QD-OLED can do 1400 nits on 1% window, 1000 nits on 3% window, 400 nits on 25% window and 200 nits on 100% window - its being rated for OLED HDR400 (same rating given to all OLED gaming screens so far)

First example; top is the Alienware QD-OLED, two bottom screens are are mini-led and the Asus PG35VQ (512 dimming zones, HDR1000)

qdoleddemo_3_large.jpg

Second example is mini-led with fald dimming zones and hdr on left and Alienware QD-OLED on right

qdoleddemo_4_large.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
If the burn in claims are real and we get 3 years warranty on it, I can't wait for the 49" 5120 x 1440 ultrawide screens to come out. Then I will be happy to update screen again for, but they can't be sticking a huge curve on them like the silly G9 screens, if same as the CRG9 curve I will be all over it and if slightly less curve or no curve.

But we need to wait and see regarding burn in and image retention claims, it's still OLED and as we all know just a matter of time and the issues pop up.

Also I owned a 34" before and they don't need a curve at that size, mine was flat and perfect without the curve.

Back
Top Bottom