***World of Warcraft : Warlords of Draenor***

Soldato
the reason they stated that they were making heroic raiding one raid size is because the amount of times they would have to leave interesting mechanics on the cutting room floor because they wouldnt work in the intended fashion in both 25mans and 10 mans.

In the raiding panel they gave examples of fights that had vastly different mechanics on the table than what we see now but due to heroic being over 2 raid sizes something that worked in 25 wouldnt provide a challenge in 10man and vice versa.

So it always became an argument about 25mans being more difficult than 10's or 10's being overtuned compared to 25's etc.

With one raid size i believe that they can make better fights with more complex mechanics, well thats my hope anyway. And if that means that their optimal raid size they have found with internal testing is 20 people then so be it.

They also tried applying flex scaling to the mythic difficulty but in the end they knew that guilds would find that perfect point where bringing an extra player would make the encounter significantly harder and would therefore bring the perfect raid size to give the balance between difficulty and organisation.

I dont particularly think they are going the right way by making mythic 20 man only, if anything 15man would be a nice size to meet both camps in the middle, but at the same time im not going to unsub or think this is the worst thing ever till i see it in action.

My guild are doing 10mans at the moment but since the introduction of flex we have been able to please more than just our 10man core team. We havent had enough to field 25mans but a 20man raid size is much more achievable for us than 25, so i guess thats why im happier to see it drop to 20man.

For my guild it will be easier for us to manage the change to 20 than to 25, and the fact that they will now add flex scaling to the new heroic difficulty means the transition in terms of difficulty will be more logical also.

Again this is from my guilds perspective and im not trying to belittle anyone elses concerns about the changes, just trying to show that not everyone will think the decisions are the worst thing in the world.

Last edited:
Soldato
My guild are doing 10mans at the moment but since the introduction of flex we have been able to please more than just our 10man core team. We havent had enough to field 25mans but a 20man raid size is much more achievable for us than 25, so i guess thats why im happier to see it drop to 20man

Exactly personal reasons, I'm sure the majority of 25man raid groups see this as a bad thing, just as you would if you were part of a stable 25man raid force.

Associate
Item squish is the most sensible change they've done in a while

New char models are long overdue.. they could afford to overhaul the entire game from the ground up if activision wasn't bleeding it dry

Jurys still out on the rest

Soldato
If they overhauled the entire game, not just the new content, with state of the art graphical fidelity, more involvement in the combat and more varied quests then they'd have me back. Let us feel as though the game has a budget that speaks of it's profits, because its the fact that so much revenue is made from the game and so little is put back into it by comparison that the majority of the leavers have left.

That and the ridiculous retail price on top of the subscription model, the amount it costs you in the short term (new player) and long term(veteran) isn't the value some think it to be. For a lot of players it's like smoking, at first it's great but after a while you're just doing it from habit and to feel normal. I doubt many players get the kind of buzz outside of raids as you would from a AAA title, and raiding doesn't provide the kinda return on your investment to make it good value for money.

That's my two cents anyway.

Qel

Qel

Associate
That and the ridiculous retail price on top of the subscription model.

Base game plus all expansions is currently about £35 (25 of that MoP) assuming you're starting from nothing. Sure it could be cheaper, but its hardly ridiculous in price.

Associate
Expansions should includfe 30 days play in the price imo, the original vanilla game did iirc.

And that doesnt mean they should add £9 to the price and say hey look your getting 30 days play time.

£25 inc 30 days play would be better than having to fork out another £9 on top for people wanting to return to the game.

Soldato
Base game plus all expansions is currently about £35 (25 of that MoP) assuming you're starting from nothing. Sure it could be cheaper, but its hardly ridiculous in price.

Whaaa? I paid £10 for my battlechest, £15 for WotLK, £30 for Cata and if I wanted to get back into it now, £50 for MoP and eventually WoD. Where do you find Vanilla, TBC, WotLK and Cata for a tenner? That's mental.

Soldato
Where the hell is that? I've been thinking about getting back into WoW recently (quit just after Cata) and MoP can be had for £16.99.

£50 for MoP and eventually WoD.

£20 MoP give or take and £30 for WoD. I appreciate that expansions depreciate in value like stones but it's expensive. They retail at full AAA price on PC. IMO it's one or the other for an MMO, charging both is a bit cheeky, that is unless they massively improve the core gameplay and graphics of the entire game.

Qel

Qel

Associate
Whaaa? I paid £10 for my battlechest, £15 for WotLK, £30 for Cata and if I wanted to get back into it now, £50 for MoP and eventually WoD. Where do you find Vanilla, TBC, WotLK and Cata for a tenner? That's mental.

Well Blizzard's own site for one but is available elsewhere.

Soldato
Didn't know that, £25 aint so bad then. They been doing that long? WotLK was £15 minimum and not part of the battlechest when I started playing, and Cata came out a month or so later for full whack.

Tell you what though, would be nice if they gave you say a month subscription for activating new expansion keys.

EDIT: Argh, could start playing again for £22. Must... not...

Last edited:

Qel

Qel

Associate
Didn't know that, £25 aint so bad then. They been doing that long? WotLK was £15 minimum and not part of the battlechest when I started playing, and Cata came out a month or so later for full whack.

Tell you what though, would be nice if they gave you say a month subscription for activating new expansion keys.

EDIT: Argh, could start playing again for £22. Must... not...

Oh definitely, if they were to just release WoD with all previous expansions included and 30 days that would be fantastic no arguments there and would probably win them a lot of new/returning people.

I was just pointing out that for a totally new player it isn't that much to get everything at present, about the price of a new game.

Soldato
Yeah, From what they said it is for new and existing users. Create a new char and boost it to 90 or insta level an alt you have been playing to 90. Im quite looking forward to this and will likely get the CE edition like I did for Cata (Regret not getting it for the others)

Back
Top Bottom