• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worst ask: Good gaming and good productivity

Man of Honour
7800X3D hands down. You won't notice the different in productivity compared to say a 14700k.

Though perceptually it might not be so obvious if you aren't comparing them side by side the 7800X3D is quite a bit slower for productivity overall, in some cases 1-2 generations of performance behind the 14700K and though I don't have a 7800X3D I do have CPUs with the same kind of productivity performance profile, and have built various 7000 series AMD setups, side by side with the 14700K and in some cases the difference is quite significant - even things like application installs is quite noticeably different in how quickly they run*.

I don't get the hype for the 7800X3D personally given there isn't a huge price difference between it and the 14700K and while the 7800X3D is a very strong gaming CPU that difference is much less pronounced at 1440p let alone 4K with ultra settings, while broadly for non-gaming tasks it doesn't stack up so well.

pZHDwgh.png

* Kind of funny one about that - amusingly the Lenovo Legion Go with the Ryzen Z1 Extreme is one of the quickest systems I've had my hands on lately for things like application installs...

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, I said in this thread or another thread that there's no difference at 4k between a 5800x3d and 7800x3d. But that cache helps with old RTS and MMO games like WoW. And the 7800x3d uses much less power, which is why I lean toward it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I said in this thread or another thread that there's no difference at 4k between a 5800x3d and 7800x3d. But that cache helps with old RTS and MMO games like WoW. And the 7800x3d uses much less power, which is why I lean toward it.

Depending on the graphics card you use and the games quality settings.

Man of Honour

14700K gets a bit of a bad rap or overlooked due to the 14th gen release being meh but as things stand it is hard to beat at the £350-400 slot - and hot on the heels in most cases of the CPUs which cost at least £100 more. The heat/power consumption is a consideration though I only find it is really significant in extreme multithreaded stress tests and less so in real world use, only real caveats are PCI-e 5.0 support which is lacklustre beyond supporting PCI-e 5.0 GPUs and future upgrade path of the platform.

Back
Top Bottom