• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth Upgrading a Winnie 3200 @ 2.5Ghz to Opty Power?

Soldato
hi guys, been out of the hardware scene for a bit, last time i was here,was when the 3200 winnies were the danglies ;) so got one and have been running it on an Asus A8V @ 2.5Ghz ever since!, all going sweet!

ok, now ive stumbled across this Opty phenomenon and im intrigued!!

is it worth the upgrade? i play the odd game and do some video encoding and my pc stays on 24/7, (i dont need dual opty just yet though, im sticking with single core) if i was to go for an opty would it run at nice speeds on my A8V or would i need a new mobo like the Asrock dual sata.

i know its a simple case of "if it aint broke dont...." but i just cant help my self i mean FX57 power for ~£100

sorry if these questions have been asked before!

many thanks!

Associate
Your a bit late mate. I've been selling these on ebay for £160-£220 a pop. You won't find any to buy from a proper retailer that are worth anything.

Soldato
Defcon5 said:
No itd be pointless. If you want a performance increase get another gb of ram

another gb of ram would be faster than an extra 300-500mhz of cpu speed and doulbe the cache?

what have you been smoking? id say either of them are pointless, especially with the ram easily costing the wrong side of £120 and offering him next to bugger all performance unless he's running hi res textures on cod2.

Soldato
james.miller said:
another gb of ram would be faster than an extra 300-500mhz of cpu speed and doulbe the cache?

what have you been smoking? id say either of them are pointless, especially with the ram easily costing the wrong side of £120 and offering him next to bugger all performance unless he's running hi res textures on cod2.

No amount of extra cpu speed is guaranteed, and he's using an A8V which isnt exactly the best clocker (i had one, refused to go past 266htt) so even if he managed to get a 146 he'd still only get a few hundred mhz extra.

The extra cache is compared to an extra 200mhz but only in cache intensive applications.

People generally say that another gb of ram makes general windows usage snappier and has a noticable effect on performance.

As for what ive been smoking, my gf made me stop :(

Soldato
james.miller said:
I think that range is a bit ott... he shouldnt get less than his current overclock and he can sell hi current chp which will make it a cheapo upgrade. I'd just jump in with a 165 opty tbh :p

Associate
Nothing is pointless if you can afford it/want it so bad that you'll ache from not having it ;)

If you have spare cash, time and just love upgrading/benchmarking for the hell of it....well, why not go for it!

Soldato
OP
yeh, thats the thing with opty im going to have to try and test it, could Be my mobo isnt up to the job, so i reckon im going to leave it for a while, theres nowt wrong with setup now, still going strong!

Back
Top Bottom