Would you tip game devs?

Caporegime
e50.gif

Associate
Maybe an indie dev. For example, I've played Magicraft (a simple(ish) roguelike) for nearly 100+ hours. More than most of my newer triple A games. I'd defo consider buying that dev a coffee type tip thing.

But paying triple A studios earning/spending millions? Not a chance

Man of Honour
Depends a bit, especially indie or smaller studios as above, if they went above and beyond to work with the community, providing extra content, etc.

The state most games release in and the standoffish way many developers and publishers treat their customers absolute not.

Soldato
Speaking as a dev (not game dev), each developer has different outputs and you always have that guy that does the bare minimum, and then the one junior that's putting 120% in. It wouldn't be fair. (I guess this point can apply to any role, not just devs)

Soldato
A good chunk of a game dev team are contractors who leave the project months before it goes gold. Like **** am I dropping a tip to a multi-billion dollar corporation based on work done for them by staff who may or may not ever see any cent of it. Yet more 'altruism' in the name of corporate greed.

Caporegime
Shouldn't companies reward their own staffs success with a bonus, rather than expect the consumer to? maybe give them a share of those massive profits the shareholders of blizzard were making?
how about some stock based compensation? also gives them an incentive to make good games...

I really am glad I was born in the 80s.... I'll be more than ready to go when my times up if the world carries on like this

Last edited:
Soldato
Tipping an average games company selling an expensive game, that hasn't been tested properly and is buggy as hell.... Nah sod off.

Potentially tipping a little Indy dev that is constantly delivering beyond expectations for the value of the game? Sure, I'd not be against that as an idea. Effectively have done that purchasing merch for Factorio for example.

Caporegime
Tipping an average games company selling an expensive game, that hasn't been tested properly and is buggy as hell.... Nah sod off.

Potentially tipping a little Indy dev that is constantly delivering beyond expectations for the value of the game? Sure, I'd not be against that as an idea. Effectively have done that purchasing merch for Factorio for example.
if people want to tip they can just gift the game to someone during a sale.

This just screams another way for companies to make money... no doubt not everything donated would go to the devs...

how can we milk our customers even further?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom