YouFibre

Permabanned
Need a bit of advice here if at all possible...

I live in the Durham area of England and I am currently with BT FTTC. I only pay £25 for 72mbps and openreach FTTP is years off but today I got a flyer to say YouFibre is here at 1000mbps and its £40 for the mesh system as well. You can get the first 3 month free but I have ages left with BT so I would have to have 2 lines into my premises for around 14 month with is live-able given its £60 for fibre 900 with BT anyways.

My question is though, if I got YF installed and cancelled would that mean there was an active fttp line that BT could then activate and take over?

Also has anyone tried YouFibre yet? Zero price rises as well.

Caporegime
YouFibre build their own network, so it wouldn't change your ability to get FTTP from BT.

I wouldn't pay two contracts for 14 months - maybe if it was less than six months I would consider it.

Permabanned
OP
I wouldn't be - CGNAT on the residential packages and no IPv6. At least BT can give me a proper service.

Please explain?

I'll end up paying £60 anyways with BT. More if I want complete WiFi.

Whats CGNAT and how will no ipv6 be problematic?

My broadband is 90% streaming 4k and gaming if that has bearing on those issues being problematic.

Associate
Please explain?

I'll end up paying £60 anyways with BT. More if I want complete WiFi.

Whats CGNAT and how will no ipv6 be problematic?

My broadband is 90% streaming 4k and gaming if that has bearing on those issues being problematic.

CGNAT is Carrier Grade NAT. Basically they put multiple customers behind one public IPv4 address due to the IPv4 address space running out (and subsequent explosion in prices to acquire blocks of IPs)

The longer standing ISPs aren’t as affected as they got huge blocks given to them years ago

The majority of broadband customers are unlikely to notice CGNAT or the lack of IPv6 however if you expect to be able to host servers/services at home it may be a deal breaker

Associate
Got youfibre here. 1gb with mesh. Got them down to £25pm without much hassle.
Can't fault them so far. Speed drops considerably in places but still a massive improvement to FTTC.
I get 950 at the hub, 600ish on WiFi in the same room. About 100 at the furthest point within the house.
Pc which runs from the mesh extender via ethernet and get between 250-300.
But considering for me it was £10pm cheaper than sky's 60mb package it was a no brainer.

Associate
Speed drops considerably in places but still a massive improvement to FTTC.

Do you mean speed differs depending upon your connection and device location as per the rest of your thread? Or do you mean its noticeably slower in general at some times of the day?

Associate
Do you mean speed differs depending upon your connection and device location as per the rest of your thread? Or do you mean its noticeably slower in general at some times of the day?
Based on location around the house on WiFi. Living room, same as the main hub, WiFi is around 600mbps. Kitchen, 200-300, worst is the upstairs toilet where it drops to around 100mbps.
I'm not sure if a better mesh set up would boost this but I'm more than happy.

No issues at certain times of the day.

We did have some intermittent issues a few weeks back, nothing major but just the odd drop out. They emailed me to tell me there was maintenance work being carried out and halfed my bill

Associate
Based on location around the house on WiFi. Living room, same as the main hub, WiFi is around 600mbps. Kitchen, 200-300, worst is the upstairs toilet where it drops to around 100mbps.
I'm not sure if a better mesh set up would boost this but I'm more than happy.

No issues at certain times of the day.

We did have some intermittent issues a few weeks back, nothing major but just the odd drop out. They emailed me to tell me there was maintenance work being carried out and halfed my bill

That's easily addressed then by, as you say, improving WiFi coverage. :D

Associate
ThebYoufibre mesh uses the amazon Eero mesh router/extender.
WiFi directly next to the extender gets me about 300mbps.
Other mesh set ups may have better coverage, less drop in speeds but I can't complain.

Soldato
Netomnia are currently digging up the road behind our street. They emailed me back today to say they are designing and laying their network hre currently, and my address should be live in the next few months. It seems YouFibre now provide a static IPv4 for £5/month on residential packages, and they have a static IP included on business packages. They have also rolled out IPv6 in some areas and are completing the roll-out across the network. I'm tempted to take the business 10G for two years and then see how the land lies. BT/Openreach and Netomnia are currently racing each other to complete in my area. City Fibre are in other parts of Liverpool but not this one (yet?).

Has anyone actually got them as an ISP who'd be willing to share some latency and speed info? I'm assuming their >1G symmetric is as decent as any other (give or take), but what's their CS like? TIA.

Caporegime
If you really need a symmetric 10Gb then you should be aware that an entire PON is 9.9Gbps down and 9.9Gbps up, you could potentially be sharing with 31 other users (unlikely but technically possible). Depending on what you are doing it may be a better option to look at 1Gbps leased line options than a £250/month 10Gbps one, because at least you get some service guarantees on the leased line.

If you can accept not hitting 10Gbps all day long then chances are you won't be unhappy with YouFibre.

Caporegime
£5 to get a static IP. Full IPv6 so most of the big services will go via that and you will have no problems. I'm going to hopefully soon be in this position with Lit Fibre and I am thinking of not bothering paying for a public IP and seeing how things go.

Back
Top Bottom