Your bad driving encounters

Soldato
OP
Have had so many dangerously close encounters while riding my bike and caught on cam (even ran into the back of one SUV and the gobby old Londoner blamed me) but that's OK because no one likes cyclists :cry:

Have had far too many distracted drivers (phone) veer into my path while driving, which, like cycling, is for me not a matter of if, but when it will happen.
You could do us all a favour and submit the footage on the Operation Snap website for the relevant Police force.

Soldato
You could do us all a favour and submit the footage on the Operation Snap website for the relevant Police force.

I submitted one report to my counties police force and added that I have 4k video of a driver turning left right after overtaking and meaning I almost went under the wheels and the knobheads never even sent a basic reply.

Man of Honour
I submitted one report to my counties police force and added that I have 4k video of a driver turning left right after overtaking and meaning I almost went under the wheels and the knobheads never even sent a basic reply.

When I've submitted stuff to Operation Snap it is an all in one form with a video submission area and I've had a reply at some point in the future with a brief summary of what they've done. At least my local force take it seriously. Nominally they only proceed with a submission if your video meets specific guidelines such as duration, etc. but in one case I was unable to do that but they still went ahead with it.

Soldato
When I've submitted stuff to Operation Snap it is an all in one form with a video submission area and I've had a reply at some point in the future with a brief summary of what they've done. At least my local force take it seriously. Nominally they only proceed with a submission if your video meets specific guidelines such as duration, etc. but in one case I was unable to do that but they still went ahead with it.

Unfortunately and even though my counties police force are combined with another counties, that are very active in these reports, mine is utter rubbish when it comes to these types of reports and uses a really out of date submission form that cannot accept images or video.
I sent a reply months later with the ref number and a recap to inform them of how **** they are and guess what..

Soldato
Imo should be the law to use the cycle path if available. Safer for all, there's some cyclist that are bad, but there's also a lot of motorists that are bad too. Mixing them never ends well.

Soldato
Imo should be the law to use the cycle path if available. Safer for all, there's some cyclist that are bad, but there's also a lot of motorists that are bad too. Mixing them never ends well.

I'd agree to that on the following conditions:
1) Fully integrated cycle networks are installed across all densely populated areas
2) All integration points of the cycle network with the road network have equal or better priority then the vehicle route.

If they are going to continue with poorly thought out fragmented cycle networks that frequently leave you in awkward places to rejoin the road then I want the choice. As I know the government are never going to do the conditions above, I'd rather cars just give me space as it isn't really any more difficult passing a cyclist as a parked car.

Associate

It's a completely impractical suggestion for many reasons.

Rural cycle lanes are frequently terrible surfaces and overgrown, totally unsuitable for *road* bikes. In urban areas where things might be better, if you're not familiar with the infrastructure it's often difficult to know where to access cycle lanes or that they're going where you want.

Cycle lanes don't necessarily improve things at junctions either. Designs either force cyclists to give way to cars turning on/off the main road, or still be at risk of drivers crossing the lane and failing to give way.

Soldato
Is it just me or has the phenomenon I like to call 'truckers weave' suddenly become an epidemic on our roads?

Weaving randomly over lanes, into the hard shoulder or, as I witnessed half an hour ago, straight into the verge.

Are these guys falling asleep at the wheel? On their phones? ******* In bottles so they don't have to stop?

Whatever it is it's flipping dangerous.

Man of Honour
Dunno what was going on tonight - didn't have anyone tailgate me for a wonder but:

-Had someone try to turn right from a left hand lane nearly cut me up - fortunately I had a feeling from their driving they weren't sure where they were going and was on the ball.

-Someone turning around in the road, at first I thought they were trying to reverse into a drive so approached accordingly, then they wanted me to either squeeze through a very narrow space between them and cars parked the other side of the road or reverse back to where there wasn't cars parked the other side, rather than reverse more to give me space, then got ****** with me because I just sat there and drove aggressively down the pavement to pass me.

-Leaving town had someone come up quickly behind me in the 30 and pull around me to overtake as we started onto the dual-carriageway and then just sit there at 60 going nowhere, swerving around a bit occasionally clipping the verge, the car in front of me doing about 61-62 so I was kind of boxed in for a bit until after about a mile they sped up to around 65 and finally got past the other car and pulled over so I could get going.

-Someone nearly hit me lazily cutting across a junction.

-Caught up with someone on P plates doing 10MPH under whatever the speed limit was and coming to a stop anytime someone with bright headlights came the other way, fair enough probably inexperienced, fortunately managed to overtake them before too long.

-Twice within 5 minutes lorries coming the other way half across my side of the road for no apparent reason and only just pulled back enough to their side at the last minute...

Man of Honour
On their phones?

I've seen a massive up tick for some reason in the last 2-3 weeks of people on their phones while driving and not even trying to hide it in most cases, so wouldn't surprise me. Pretty sure at least one of the lorries that were half over my side of the road tonight was on their phone as I definitely saw a lit up screen moving in the cab.

Soldato
Very noticeable when riding as being able to look down, which I've noticed quiet a lot on the school run and company vehicles, that the driver thinks is above usual height of being seen by other drivers. Of course, the head bobbing up and down all the time is one I see often when driving.

With tailgaters I set the car to exactly the speed limit of that road and if that fails, I have many times, just stopped and put my hands in the air, while suggesting engine issues and then chuckle as that drive has to try and reverse and pass me.

d

Soldato
Is it just me or has the phenomenon I like to call 'truckers weave' suddenly become an epidemic on our roads?

Weaving randomly over lanes, into the hard shoulder or, as I witnessed half an hour ago, straight into the verge.

Are these guys falling asleep at the wheel? On their phones? ******* In bottles so they don't have to stop?

There’s a drink drive issue with some truck drivers. Why do we see many empty bottles and cans of the alcohol beverage on roadsides when we do wombling?

Remember watching one of those motorway cops programmes and stopped a Polish truck driver. He had about 40 cans of beer- some unopened in his cab.

Yet in Poland there is a zero tolerance for drink driving!

Soldato
There’s a drink drive issue with some truck drivers. Why do we see many empty bottles and cans of the alcohol beverage on roadsides when we do wombling?

Remember watching one of those motorway cops programmes and stopped a Polish truck driver. He had about 40 cans of beer- some unopened in his cab.

Yet in Poland there is a zero tolerance for drink driving!
You say this constantly but our road accident statistics don't seem to suggest it. We don't see "tipsy trucker swerves into hedgerow" in the news much.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Why do we see many empty bottles and cans of the alcohol beverage on roadsides when we do wombling?

If I'm driving home from work late on a Friday or Saturday night I see loads of instances of multiple people in cars chucking bottles (often beer), cans and takeaway packaging out the window as they go. If there is an event on often the main road out of the town I work in is carpeted in rubbish by the early hours at a certain point.

Caporegime

It has been very windy. You can be blown from one lane to the next if you are not careful. Although you are correct 90% of them are most likely on their phones. On Thursday on the M62 there was a lorry being recovered from a verge as he had driven off the slip road somehow!!!

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'm surprised this thread is only 114 pages long, I don't drive much these days, fully remote and I walk or cycle. But, the rare occasion I drive, no matter the day of the week or time, the number of idiots on the roads never stops to amaze me... So why isn't this on page 1114? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Had someone Infront of me doing 40 in a 60, then 35 in a 50. Imo that's driving dangerously, so I overtook before they caused a crash (they also started braking for a roundabout about half a mile away (while travelling at 40).
I figured they would be the type of driver to slam on instead of indicating first.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm surprised this thread is only 114 pages long, I don't drive much these days, fully remote and I walk or cycle. But, the rare occasion I drive, no matter the day of the week or time, the number of idiots on the roads never stops to amaze me... So why isn't this on page 1114? :p

I could easily fill 1114 pages... there is some stuff I've not posted as without a rear facing dashcam for full context I don't think people would believe me LOL.

Back
Top Bottom