Your bad driving encounters

Soldato
The one that does make me chuckle and seems to be more common now, is the driver that doesn't like to be overtaken (dual and motorway) when doing well below the stated speed limit and will speed up when attempting to do so, but within metres of being overtaken, will go back to their slower speed.

Bonkers :eek:

It’s funny reading all these angry road rage drivers acting they they did nothing wrong. If you are engaging in road rage you ARE the bad driver. Just because the other driver does it, does not make you right.

See many like this on some of the bad drivers type video's where the driver will speed up, or be awkward to another driver and then call them out.
I had a large gap on a roundabout recently in Branksome Dorset and as I pulled out, another driver floored it and aimed at my car. I'm hoping he posts it to one of those bad drivers video pages, as others will hopefully see me blowing him a sweet kiss :D

Soldato
It's cos they're completely oblivious and have no idea how their actions affect other people.

Unfortunately I have been guilty of this a few times. Recently had one incident on a 60mph stretch of carriageway that I was approaching a slower car. I checked my wing mirror and saw an Audi approaching but still more than far enough away that I could safely indicate and move out to overtake. They were still about 5 plus seconds away from me.

Of course the Audi driver planted the throttle as I indicated and began moving out. By the time I was mid overtake they were right up my tail and doing the jerk off gesture because I “cut them up”. They proceeded to tailgate as I want past more slower cars and I gave them a brake check, then the middle finger.

I responded to their BS by doing my own BS and really shouldn’t have engaged at all.

Associate
It’s funny reading all these angry road rage drivers acting they they did nothing wrong. If you are engaging in road rage you ARE the bad driver. Just because the other driver does it, does not make you right.
Agreed but you cannot expect anyone to slow down a lot on the motorway just for the sake of following rules and not undertake anyone. You are then risking annoying* off 10 others who are in the rush hour behind you.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a large gap on a roundabout recently in Branksome Dorset and as I pulled out, another driver floored it and aimed at my car. I'm hoping he posts it to one of those bad drivers video pages, as others will hopefully see me blowing him a sweet kiss :D

Same here, see above. Though hoping you didn’t succumb to the anger and do a stupid thing like I did.

Man of Honour
See many like this on some of the bad drivers type video's where the driver will speed up, or be awkward to another driver and then call them out.

Annoyingly I can't find it now but Dorset police had a compilation video on their Twitter a few years back where people had submitted dashcam video where the driver of the dashcam vehicle was also breaking the law or driving poorly and what action the police had taken against them.

Soldato
Agreed but you cannot expect anyone to slow down a lot on the motorway just for the sake of following rules and not undertake anyone. You are then risking ******* off 10 others who are in the rush hour behind you.

Nobody is saying that’s what should happen. By all means undertake the clown, but is it better to shrug it off or engage? In my experience above I was ****** off for a while afterwards because I engaged rather than de-escalate.

Associate
Nobody is saying that’s what should happen. By all means undertake the clown, but is it better to shrug it off or engage? In my experience above I was ****** off for a while afterwards because I engaged rather than de-escalate.
Yup, I don't tend to engage mate. I am better off letting it go as I would be no good if things escalate. :p

Soldato
It reminds me of the time some much younger driver road raged at me for cutting them up. Technically I did not cut them up, it was more of a being much faster off the lights and nipping in at the merge in turn.

All the usual flashing lights and rude gestures. I didn’t engage and just ignored it all as I had a passenger.

We drove in to the same car park at work and he was a lot more subdued funny enough. It turned out he was the new agency guy we had hired for my team. I have never seen anyone’s colour drains so fast and then go pure red with embarrassment so quickly once he realised I was his new boss. He turned out alright and ended up getting a permanent job in another team and I was one of his references. :cry:

Soldato
Usually when someone is being either an incompetent driver or an angry one, my strategy is to not be near them. I'll either speed up or slow down depending on their behaviour - put distance between yourself and the risk. Whether that's a risk of being drifted into by a grandad with poor lane control, or rear ended by an aggressive German car driver, just don't engage.

As others have said, it does seem to be when I find a proper idiot, or join in myself, that journey ends up having multiple incidents of aggro!

Caporegime
i try not to get involved in any form of road rage at all now, i just put my hand up to try and descalate the issue, all to easy for things to escalate

you can rage all you want with someone then 5 minutes later there can be another and so on, bad drivers everywhere dont waste your time or energy on it

Being the submissive person on the road is actually good. A lot less stress. I used to get road rage all the time. Luckily I am a lot more chill and just let people do what they want.

Soldato
OP
We drove in to the same car park at work and he was a lot more subdued funny enough. It turned out he was the new agency guy we had hired for my team. I have never seen anyone’s colour drains so fast and then go pure red with embarrassment so quickly once he realised I was his new boss. He turned out alright and ended up getting a permanent job in another team and I was one of his references.
I think people see themselves as invulnerable sometime when they’re in a car and do thing they never normally would.

Being the submissive person on the road is actually good. A lot less stress. I used to get road rage all the time. Luckily I am a lot more chill and just let people do what they want.
100% true.

Soldato
Went down a road with a few parked cars. Female driver with P plate saw me coming - had plenty of opportunities to pull in to let me pass. She didn’t. I had to reverse 3 car lengths to find a pull in myself.

Because of the newly passed driver’s inability to pull over as soon as an opportunity arose, there was a queue of traffic appeared as I was reversing.

I then had to wait for the traffic in the opposite direction pass me. Every driver said she was in the wrong!

Soldato
Driving behind a car. Stopping at some traffic lights I saw two children’s hands hanging out of the drivers window. As a few minutes later I needed to be in a different lane, I was inline with the car. Man driving had two children on his lap - guessing aged 2 and 4.

What a very stupid and dangerous thing to do. Wish i had dash cam

Associate
Just had the normal, going round a small roundabout in the left lane car in the right just behind me. They beep because I've cut them up, no I haven't, clearly shown on the road left lane left and straight on, right lane turn right only. You can guess the car driver and car. As they like to be called karen

Soldato
People who don't speed up on A-road or motorway slip roads and try to join the main carriageway at 30mph :(
And not use the whole slip road to speed up, just chop straight into the motorway super slow.

I’m ashamed to admit someone did this the other day on the m6 in front of me. The slip road was so long I carried on speeding up and joined in front of them

Back
Top Bottom