• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zotac GeForce GTX 780Ti OC VS 970 OC & 980, WHO IS THE VICTOR?

OcUK Staff
OP
I'm half considering selling on my GTX 770 (friend has offered £160) and going for that Zotac 780ti... Am I mad? Planning on a monitor upgrade to 1440p early next year which is my 'justification' :rolleyes:

No that is a good price for 770, considering we have new at £169. ;)

The 780Ti is a good deal quicker! :)

Associate
You mentioned the KFA2 is £289??! Is that the HOF 780 ti one, because that is £389 on the website. I must have misunderstood. If it is £289 I will buy it Friday lol!

Caporegime
I have to say i think i rate the 780 higher than the 970, never mind the 780TI

The 970 just looks a bit like a GTX 770 with a massive overclock.

No, I've had both and my 970 is faster than the 780 was in everything I've tried so far. The 780ti when both are overclocked is around 50/50, some games/benchmarks seem to respond better to more kepler cores. Still on day 1 drivers so it's possible the 970 eventually beats out a 780ti in everything.

Soldato

Yeah I know what you mean, I rate the 280X higher than the R290 because the 290 just looks like a HD5870 with a modified shroud >.>

Lol

Seriously, you rate the 780 higher because it runs hotter, slower, uses more power and doesn't over-clock as well, but does that while not using GTX760/770 PCB's? /facepalm

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I know what you mean, I rate the 280X higher than the R290 because the 290 just looks like a HD5870 with a modified shroud >.>

Lol

Seriously, you rate the 780 higher because it runs hotter, slower, uses more power and doesn't over-clock as well, but does that while not using GTX760/770 PCB's? /facepalm

Humbug's still trying to get over the most pointless amd release in history, the 2gb 285 tonga. ;)

Caporegime

Lol

Humbug's still trying to get over the most pointless amd release in history, the 2gb 285 tonga. ;)

Oh stop sulking you two...:p

Last edited:
Caporegime

when the 970's were released i thought about getting a pair to replace my 780's in sig. The drop in power use and heat alone would have been worth it let alone the higher oc potential. Didn't go through with it though as 780 prices plummeted like a lead balloon.

Caporegime
when the 970's were released i thought about getting a pair to replace my 780's in sig. The drop in power use and heat alone would have been worth it let alone the higher oc potential. Didn't go through with it though as 780 prices plummeted like a lead balloon.

Before i say this, i think the overall efficiency of Maxwell is great, i'm not arguing its not, i agree it is pretty good alround.

But it seems its not quite that black and white.

The power consumption is very good on unmolested Reference cards, the 'but' is when they are AIB cards, or overclocked, or both.

Pepole should really read this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941-12.html

'it seems' Maxwell in reference form is set up to be very 'optimal', if you go outside of those perimeters by overclocking, or even if its just under a continuous load that efficiency compared with GK110 is all but gone.

So while good, no argument, there are some significant caveats to that.

If the load is held constant, then the lower power consumption measurements vanish immediately. There’s nothing for GPU Boost to adjust, since the highest possible voltage is needed continuously. Nvidia's stated TDP becomes a distant dream. In fact, if you compare the GeForce GTX 980’s power consumption to an overclocked GeForce GTX Titan Black, there really aren’t any differences between them. This is further evidence supporting our assertion that the new graphics card’s increased efficiency is largely attributable to better load adjustment and matching.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maxwell is very clever with its fast adaptive power switching.
Even if you are comparing performance to power consumption in either real working loads or synthetic unrealistic loads, you have to compare the performance achieved to the consumption. Loading a gpu up in furmark or equivalent app, and measuring current draw is irrelevant as far as i'm concerned. For example there's no point loading all cores up on an fx8370 in prime and stating it consumes ridiculous power, when an I5/i7 consumes considerably less.
Where if you compared the workload in a real app such as handbrake encoding then the performance vs the consumption becomes relative.

Nvidia's maxwell in most situations is providing greater performance than gk110 with a refined architecture and more importantly with considerably less shaders and on 28nm. Pushing a 2560 core maxwell on 28nm is getting close to the limit, but Maxwell looks to scale well in the future.

Whilst they aren't intended as compute cards, considering their smaller shader configuration, they can still provide great compute performance over Hawaii or gk110 for example.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/20

Last edited:
Caporegime
Maxwell is very clever with its fast adaptive power switching.
Even if you are comparing performance to power consumption in either real working loads or synthetic unrealistic loads, you have to compare the performance achieved to the consumption. Loading a gpu up in furmark or equivalent app, and measuring current draw is irrelevant as far as i'm concerned. For example there's no point loading all cores up on an fx8370 in prime and stating it consumes ridiculous power, when an I5/i7 consumes considerably less.
Where if you compared the workload in a real app such as handbrake encoding then the performance vs the consumption becomes relative.

Nvidia's maxwell in most situations is providing greater performance than gk110 with a refined architecture and more importantly with considerably less shaders and on 28nm. Pushing a 2560 core maxwell on 28nm is getting close to the limit, but Maxwell looks to scale well in the future.

Whilst they aren't intended as compute cards, considering their smaller shader configuration, they can still provide great compute performance over Hawaii or gk110 for example.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/20

Agreed.

I would like to see its power-consumption during compute heavy games like Tomb Raider while she flicking dat hair. :cool:

Or heavy compute based lighting, shadowing, sampling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom