How would you "outsource" Sd scaling and processing/interlacing?

Soldato
a lot of HDTVs have trouble with SD material, is there a box or something i can put between the Tv and the source (XBMC, PS2) to sort out the processing and scaling?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Upscaling options certainly exist. You can buy an external upscaling unit, though be aware that these usually start at around £500. I chap I used to work with blew close on £2k on his.
Another option is one of the newer AV amps, some of which have multiple video inputs and can upscale and output via a single HDMI. An example of this is the Onkyo 875. Comments on the net are that it's rather good at it, though it does cost a cool £1k. Having said that, it's also supposedly rather good at surround sound, so in terms of functionality/£ it's far from bad.

Having said all of that, I really couldn't tell you whether that would result in SD looking good on certain TVs, particularly LCD units. My personal preference would be a decent plasma.

Soldato
OP
ah,, well thanks!

i guess if theres nothing around the ~£100-£150 mark then i'll have to rule it out

I'm looking at a Samsung 37r87 LCD or Panasonic 37PX70, but dont want to deal with the motion issues on the LCD nor the screen burn issues on the plasma

Caporegime
i've heard that, but still worried about some gaming issues (phosphor something) and screen burn

Phosphor trailing wasnt an issue when I played Halo3 and forza 2. Picture is very good.

Can't comment on screen burn as I had no issues. I have advised my parents to run it on low brightness for a month or so just to help it bed in. I can only imagine the picture is even better now as I saw it brand new.

Back
Top Bottom