• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How noisy are 8800GT cards?

Caporegime

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
no more noisier or quieter than a GTS.

I do not know what the fuss is about these being noisy, evga have issued a BIOS update to fix the fan noise too.

C64

C64

Soldato
It's a lot noisier than my evga gts if you are happy to let it hit high temps then 30% fan speed is near silent but around 40% + it becomes audible and rising to hoover like sound at 100%.

Permabanned
Doubt that matters in a game with music going, so long as its quiet during normal PC use most will be happy.

It seems to work same way as the 6800Ultra and 8600GTS, with Driver/Temp controled speed, thats why its full pelt at Boot Up till Drivers load.

I prefer that over the way the 7000's and the other 8000's work.

I used to have to listen to 8600GTS's for 30mins while building customers Rigs, had to get windows installed and Nvidia drivers installed before they were controled. :)

Associate
Doubt that matters in a game with music going, so long as its quiet during normal PC use most will be happy.

I set mine with Rivatuner for the fan to go to 65% as soon as it hits 75 degrees, and to 90% as soon as it hits 85 degrees.

So far, during Crysis and Oblivion, it never hit 85 degrees. (My 8600GTS used to hit 87 degrees during Oblivion!) And the 65% fan during gameplay (with sound) doesn't bother me. In fact at the beginning I used to lower my sound just to check the fan was working well!

As long as my GT is under 65 degrees, which it is when I'm not playing games, the fan's at 29% which I don't hear at all.

Last edited:
Associate
Running the 8800GT fan at 100% seems a lot louder than running the fan at 100% on the XFX GTS I had.
Sure, most people won't be having their fans running at this speed, but I was getting temps up to 93'C and found it necessary. If you have the music/sound cranked up on your system then it supresses the noise.

I've changed my build within a month of making it, and hope that the new case addresses heat issues which will let me run the fans on Auto/Low where yes, they're silent.

Soldato
Those looking for absolute silence from an 8800GT, then check out sparkle's new 8800GT512MB Passive Card.

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=57&sub_id=152

ihnnhuff6.png

Back
Top Bottom