What happens when someone dies on a plane?

Soldato
My friends and I were just discussing about what happens to a body and the plane when a person dies on a plane...

I was saying that after the person has been confirmed dead, and if the plane is completely full they would put the body in the hold. If there is space on the plane, they would move people forwards and put you right at the back somewhere, out of sight. Lastly, they would divert the plane to the nearest airport.

My friend was saying that they would never put you in the hold or something because it would be rude...

What do they actually do?

Soldato
My friends and I were just discussing about what happens to a body and the plane when a person dies on a plane...

I was saying that after the person has been confirmed dead, and if the plane is completely full they would put the body in the hold. If there is space on the plane, they would move people forwards and put you right at the back somewhere, out of sight. Lastly, they would divert the plane to the nearest airport.

My friend was saying that they would never put you in the hold or something because it would be rude...

i cant tell you ...

but

all i will say is ..

dont have the 'beef' with vegetables ...

EWWWWWW !!

:eek:

Soldato
They wouldn't put you in the hold you crazy person. If there were no seats whatsoever they'd put you by the crew seats.

They'd also divert long before 'pronouncing you dead'.

Soldato

ever watched Waynes World? where they 'hock a loogey' and gob on people from a verandah?

well, they do that with a corpse on a plane, while passing over a densely populated area .... imagine the fun !!

chamooon !!

:p

Soldato
OP
They wouldn't put you in the hold you crazy person. If there were no seats whatsoever they'd put you by the crew seats.

They'd also divert long before 'pronouncing you dead'.

My housemate was saying that if he was dying he would request to be flown to India... and I said that airlines may refuse to fly you.

Anyways, when you coming up to Warwick?

Soldato
They ground the plane at the nearest airport, then they get a doctor to confirm death who then gives a time, they cant be confirmed unless a doctor does so, they wont put it in a hold either, thats just daft, treating it like its nothing, you have something like 4 mins after someone dies to try revive them.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The body would be put into a seat and strapped in with the seatbelt, straps and duck tape.

I was controlling a flight inbound from Tokyo to Heathrow about a fortnight ago. It was really busy with inbound delays at about 25-40 minutes. The pilot of the aircraft declared what is known as a "Medical Pan", i.e. a state of urgency as a passenger on board had taken a heart attack and needed to be on the ground ASAP to stand any chance of surviving. A doctor on board said that the plane needed to be on the ground within 10 minutes.

So, we bust a gut to weave this plane through all the others that were holding to get it on the ground ASAP but half way there the pilot cancelled the Pan and informed us that the passenger had died. This has happened to me about 3 or 4 times and on some occasions the aircraft have had to hold to give the cabin crew time to strap the corpse into the seat.

If a passenger dies in the air, the airport authority at the destination has to be informed and landing clearance is usually witheld until the airport authority approves it, the reason being issues such as facilities to handle a dead body and also quarantine.

If the passenger dies, the aircraft will usually continue to destination as a diversion is extremely costly to the airline. This may change if the flight is 12 hours or something but for most short/medium haul, a diversion won't be initiated unless the passenger is still alive but in need of immediate life saving medical attention.

Caporegime
I would have thought they would have to leave it alone.

Safety of other passangers etc, maybe the dead person had some kind of disease that can spread on contact with skin or something.

Soldato
OP
The body would be put into a seat and strapped in with the seatbelt, straps and duck tape.

I was controlling a flight inbound from Tokyo to Heathrow about a fortnight ago. It was really busy with inbound delays at about 25-40 minutes. The pilot of the aircraft declared what is known as a "Medical Pan", i.e. a state of urgency as a passenger on board had taken a heart attack and needed to be on the ground ASAP to stand any chance of surviving. A doctor on board said that the plane needed to be on the ground within 10 minutes.

So, we bust a gut to weave this plane through all the others that were holding to get it on the ground ASAP but half way there the pilot cancelled the Pan and informed us that the passenger had died. This has happened to me about 3 or 4 times and on some occasions the aircraft have had to hold to give the cabin crew time to strap the corpse into the seat.

If a passenger dies in the air, the airport authority at the destination has to be informed and landing clearance is usually witheld until the airport authority approves it, the reason being issues such as facilities to handle a dead body and also quarantine.

If the passenger dies, the aircraft will usually continue to destination as a diversion is extremely costly to the airline. This may change if the flight is 12 hours or something but for most short/medium haul, a diversion won't be initiated unless the passenger is still alive but in need of immediate life saving medical attention.

What happens if the plane is completely full and there are no long seats to lie the body onto?

Also, do they carry body bags on the plane?

Soldato

thanks for that Scuzi ...

i thought my answer was a lot more fun ...

:D

Man of Honour
What happens if the plane is completely full and there are no long seats to lie the body onto?

They probably just sit them up and strap them into the seat they came from I cant imagine many passengers just appear and die on a fully loaded plane with no seat to put them in :p

Man of Honour

They don't lie the body down, they sit it upright in a normal seat and strap it in with the seatbelt, straps and duck tape so it doesn't fall out of the seat. It sounds awful but it needs to be secured in the event that severe turbulence or a rough landing is experienced, also not forgetting a crash. There will always be a seat available as the dead person would have been occupying a seat.

Back
Top Bottom