Need to buy a 720p 32" LCD TODAY- urgent help please!

Caporegime
Hi Guys,

TV broke last night (Sharp Aquos LC-26GD7E)..

Need to get a new one today, have not kept up with latest and greatest models etc. Normally I would mull the purchase for weeks and do loads of research, but the broken TV has expediated things,somewhat!!

I need the following as a minimum:

-good 720P support (1366*768 ish as thats a good res for PC input too).
-VGA/DVI input (1:1) mapping for my mac mini (used as media centre).
-HDMI - for Playstation 3 (possibly 2 sockets for upgadeability).
-Component for my aging Xbox 360 Premium.
-Integrated Freeview with a EPG (The Sharp only had now and next).
-RGB SCART for a video sender I use sometimes and legacy support

That is the bare essentials.

I can do more research once people suggest a model number etc.

Price not too fussed but willing to go 700ish give or take on the high street. Has to be high street etc so I can try and return if I get dead pixels etc easily. Might even see if someone will price match etc.

Never owned a Sony Bravia so that would be a nice option. Not keen on those Samsungs with the uberglossy finish and silly Blue light, but can be talked around if they match my specs.

Help is much appreciated. I am gonna be in front of the PC all day, so will answer any comments in a timely fashion. And hope to buy something this afternoon.

NO COMPETITOR NAMES OR LINKS PLS ;)

rp2000

Soldato
Do you ever use the screen as a monitor?

How would you feel about a 42" Plasma or are you limited to 32"?

Too big a TV is a bad thing so how far do you sit from it?

Associate
We Just picked up a 32" Panasonic TX32LXD70 must say the SD on this set is simply stunning, I think it ticks all the right boxes.

Can be found on the High street for around £600 plus some retailers are doing a free 5 year warranty.

---------------------------------------

Caporegime
OP
Do you ever use the screen as a monitor?

How would you feel about a 42" Plasma or are you limited to 32"?

Too big a TV is a bad thing so how far do you sit from it?

Has to be 32inch for the room it would be in. The mac is the PC input, but primarily for media centre stuff.

I am leaning towards either Sony 32S3000 or Sony 32D3000.

Any owners like to comment?

We Just picked up a 32" Panasonic TX32LXD70 must say the SD on this set is simply stunning, I think it ticks all the right boxes.

Can be found on the High street for around £600 plus some retailers are doing a free 5 year warranty.

---------------------------------------
Havinga quick look now. cheers!

rp2000

Soldato
The Panasonic TX32LXD70 is generally considered the best 32" LCD you can buy.

Although for £700 you could buy yourself something a bit bigger and perhaps better?

Caporegime
OP

Although for £700 you could buy yourself something a bit bigger and perhaps better?

Just checking specs now. The size limit is 32 inch for many reasons. I notice the d3000 has 24p support etc (I have ps3 as you know).

Thanks for the advice so far My mate on the phone earlier said Hav alook at Panasonic 700 series and said it was over 1k (don't know if that is this same model as he wa dirving and ab it vague).

rp2000

Associate
You really cant go wrong with a Samsung, but if your not keen on the design then thats your choice :/
They are well priced and quality screens.
Theres nothing more for me to add :(

Caporegime
OP

Bought this one in the end. Price matched to 600 notes. 5 year warranty.

Cheers for the help guys, maybe some pictures in the console section (show your ps3 or show your 360 threads). When I set it up later tonight.

rp2000

Caporegime
OP
Good descision. Hope you're pleased with it?

Well no dead pixels. Freeview is fine so far, just tested ps3 all good, try 360 later on.

BUT the mac only sees it as 800*600 display. I could try some third party software, but I qas under the impression it could display 1360*768, the Mac does not think it can. May have to reserach or check avforums I guess.

If I can't get it to show the mac mini properly, I will be annoyed (and try to somehow exchange return it). I view all my multimedia files off there. Will have a fiddle later.

Anyone here got this connected to a PC/mac?

But on the whole well pleased so far..

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom