Where can I get portal

Associate
I'm stuck in a hotel room in Canada at the moment so I thought I would download Portal and give it a try. Now the problem is that because I'm in Canada, steam doesn't seem to want to let me pay for it by either CC or paypal. So is there anywhere else on the net I can download it from ? (Legally of cause)

Soldato
Your credit card should work wherever in the world you are to be honest. Can't explain that one. :confused:

PayPal especially should be fine.

Associate
OP
Paypal payment seems to go through fine and then steam reports that Paypal have given an authenication error. This is strange because I used my Paypal account to purchase the internet time I'm using right now.

Credit card also gets decline for security, but the bank doesn't have any trace of it (I check with them). I find it strange the the CC details only asks for 'First Name' & 'Last Name' when my card has Mr <F> <M> <L>. Peeing me off now because I want to play it >.<

Associate
OP
Just check on the steam website and apparently there is a known problem with purchasing games outside the country your CC is registered in. Also if you use Paypal you need to use a CC so that takes me back to point 1. There is a workaround, which is to pre-add money to your paypal account, but this takes 7-10 days.

So it looks like I'm screwed.

Soldato
Just check on the steam website and apparently there is a known problem with purchasing games outside the country your CC is registered in. Also if you use Paypal you need to use a CC so that takes me back to point 1. There is a workaround, which is to pre-add money to your paypal account, but this takes 7-10 days.

So it looks like I'm screwed.

Is it not possible for steam to run through a proxy?

Soldato
Don't you have anyone in the UK who you'd trust with your CC details and steam account details - friends or relatives ?

Just get them to log in over here and purchase portal then you can log into your account in Canada and download it there.

Associate
OP
Don't you have anyone in the UK who you'd trust with your CC details and steam account details - friends or relatives ?

Not anyone who uses or would know how to use steam.

Is it not possible for steam to run through a proxy?

I think so, but trying to find a UK based proxy, which is working and supports HTTPS is proving hard. So far I can't find any.

Back
Top Bottom