• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

just arrived..my personal review of 3870x2

Soldato
Two "reviews" for the 3870x2 have been posted on the OCUK site from cretins who dont even have the card!

What motivates people to do such an idiotic thing?

Soldato
Well, after some more reading it seems you need a PSU with an 8-pin graphics card power lead otherwise you can't overclock the card (or use ATI Overdrive). I can't find an adapter for Molex to 8-pin for love nor money, no sign of one on OCUK or elsewhere.

So it looks like I would have to buy another PSU too - what a huge pain in the bum, that effectively rules out this upgrade for me (if I'm buying a PSU I might as well get another flipping motherboard at the same time)

Caporegime
Well, after some more reading it seems you need a PSU with an 8-pin graphics card power lead otherwise you can't overclock the card (or use ATI Overdrive). I can't find an adapter for Molex to 8-pin for love nor money, no sign of one on OCUK or elsewhere.

So it looks like I would have to buy another PSU too - what a huge pain in the bum, that effectively rules out this upgrade for me (if I'm buying a PSU I might as well get another flipping motherboard at the same time)

There is one that comes with a 6 pin to 8 pin from what ive seen, some site posted pics of the retail packages and one definately had a 6-8 pin converter.

Associate
Two "reviews" for the 3870x2 have been posted on the OCUK site from cretins who dont even have the card!

Completeley agree. This bugs the hell out me on any web site - Amazon has to be one of the worst. I think all reviews should be vetted, and unless they are based on knowledge gained from ownership, should not be approved.

Or something like that :D

Soldato
I think if you give it a bit then ATITool will gain support for this card, then you can overclock using that.

It's only CCC that needs an 8-pin connector, not the other overclocking tools.

Soldato
Completeley agree. This bugs the hell out me on any web site - Amazon has to be one of the worst. I think all reviews should be vetted, and unless they are based on knowledge gained from ownership, should not be approved.

Or something like that :D

They are vetted. Obviously not to a high enough standard though.

Caporegime

Never trust the OCUk website reviewing system when buying... 90% are submittted by semi-literate cretins who have never been near the product, and they do not accept any well-written reviews of 3-star or below, I know someone who repeatedly (I think about 3 or 4 times) submitted an honest 2-star review for a product and it was never published. Crap high-star reviews are allowed through, honest reviews of lower stars are not... hence why the site is chock full of only 4/5 star reviews. It's a shame, as it could have been a useful tool if used honestly.

Last edited:
Associate
Slightly off topic I know, but I'd be very curious to know if a representative from OCUK had anything to say on this matter?

Soldato
To me the foliage is covering the floor covers a multitude of sins ;)

Look at the forest floor and the texture used is actually pretty naff, which is a shame. Really thought I would be able to walk through the forest and half leaves being kicked up, and bugs crawling over my feet ;) hehe

Matthew

Caporegime
Just plonked mine in, did some size compare pics.

size2.jpg

size.jpg

x2installed.jpg

One thing ive noticed about this compared to the 2900 is contrary to reviews the retail versions shroud has a slight gap at the end where it meets the back venting plate. 2900 its totally sealed off.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think the card has a slight bend to it, might also be that tis not screwed down yet :p
Oh yeah! Not noticed it was devoid of screws! TBH my old 2900 bent down slightly at the fan end despite being securely screwed in.

I'd love to get one of these. Can't wait for some more benches from you! :D

gt

Back
Top Bottom