Can you mention client names on your CV?

Soldato
Does anyone know if you're allowed to mention clients you have worked with in your CV?

Someone I know says you can't, but it would really really suck if I couldn't mention some of the accounts I have managed.

So yeah, anyone know for sure? Do you need permission before you put them on there?

Soldato
Depends on your terms of engagement, I have worked for clients where the engagement letter specifically provides that we can't mention that we worked for them or on that matter, including using the details on a CV. Quite rare though in my experience.

Man of Honour
The way I play it is if a client expressly asks that they not be included in marketing literature and CVs when negotiating the job, then they never will. If they don't express a concern then it is OK. I don't give details of the work carried out that make them look bad (i.e. fire-fighting / being called in to deal with their incompetence or a failing of their business!)

Soldato
OP
Ok cool, it is more to say that I sold and/or managed that account, so I am sure it is ok. Only one client have specifically asked not to have them in our portfolio, which is annoying as I was really chuffed with it :(

Soldato
As others have said it really depends on what you are doing etc. I wouldnt mention specific clients I would only say what I had done for them which is all that a prospective employer would be interested in. I might mention the type of industrty, ie I worked for several years on a large public sector rollout and then moved onto a project providing services for a leading UK bank. Generally most companies dont want their customer names being talked about for commercial reasons. Also remember that if you have ever done anything for government its normal that you cant mention anything other than you worked on something for government, ie you couldnt say I worked for the department of wholesale spin etc.

Soldato
Company's names go on your CV, a CV is personal and not for business use, so it makes no difference what their concerns are. There is no way they could ever find out anyway, since your references are likely to be employers not former clients of your employer.

don't limit yourself.

Back
Top Bottom