How do you motivate yourself?

Soldato
Ive got a history essay due in tomorrow, and i just cant do it lol!

The fact that i still need to install office probably didnt help, but even when it is i know i really wont be able to do it :(

I want to get it done, but just cant seem to get into it at all!

What do you guys reccomend?

Dan

Associate
Read read read. Read around what you're supposed to be writing about. Spend like an hour and a half just reading. You'll remember why you like history. And then you'll use what you read to make an essay. Or, you'll realise you hate history and quit :p

Soldato
I remove all distractions and focus. Talking myself into whatever it is I have to do. Sometimes I keep a constant mental monologue psyching me up :) When I train I scream in my head (ast least I hope its in my head :p) "more! faster! This is when it counts!".

Perhaps I'm just mental.

Oh, I recommend you stop faffing about and do what has to be done. Think about how good it'll be when you finish. And remove anything that will distract.

Ant :cool:

Soldato
OP
You're doing AS levels now? When I did AS history I left all the preparation for the individual study type thing until the night before... I stayed up so late I physically couldn't stop myself falling asleep. I took my threadbare notes into the timed essay thing, and then I got a high A grade in that module, so just follow my example.... it can't fail :).

If i dont do this essay, ill get kicked off the course, meaning ill get kicked out of college.

And somehow i still cant force myself to do it :(

Soldato
I always get in these ruts. You need to stick yourself in a library for 2 hours and then you'll do it. If you're gonna get kicked out and can't motivate yourself head over to a 24hr library.

If i dont do this essay, ill get kicked off the course, meaning ill get kicked out of college.

And somehow i still cant force myself to do it :(

Turn off the TV, make yourself a cuppa, put on some tunes, install office, do your essay, in life you sometimes have to endure stuff that you may find hard but you still have to do it, if it was easy everybody would be successful, this essay is teaching you more than just history, success comes from not only passing exams and coursework etc but also having determination, and being able to endure the unendurable so you can achieve your goals, just do it, it will help build your character, it will teach you that you can actually motivate yourself beyond what you thought you was previously incapable of, carry on like that and it will turn into a pattern, like I said this essay is more about yourself than history.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Turn off the TV, make yourself a cuppa, put on some tunes, install office, do your essay, in life you sometimes have to endure stuff that you may find hard but you still have to do it, if it was easy everybody would be successful, this essay is teaching you more than history, success comes from not only passing exams and coursework etc but also having determination, and being able to endure the unendurable so you can achieve your goals, just do it.

THAT IS WHAT I NEEDED MY FRIEND!

Thank you!

Soldato
I usually drop myself in at the deep end. I used to hate writing essays etc, but I've just finished a 30 page report and really enjoyed researching it and putting it to paper, so to speak.

As others have said, some good music and a cuppa works wonders. Interspersing work with a 15 minute bash on your favourite game every hour is a good 'carrot' aswell. I tried that, but it wore off after a while and I tend to just type away for several hours straight.

Permabanned
I know exactly how you feel! I was very much the same.. I just didn't have the motivation to get on.. End of the day you know at some stage your going to start doing it even if you feel dead inside.. Wait until the latest point you can start and work your ******* ass off! :D

Half an hour of games/web browsing, then half an hour of work. Repeat until it's finished.

half an hour turns into

OH ****!!!! It's 1am and I've only written 350 words!!!!!!

And I REALLY CBA!! I'm going to get to 800 then go to sleep then get up at 5am and continue.. :(

then I'm going to end up running into the lesson late and still have little bits and pieces to do :(

Back
Top Bottom