Looking for a very versatile phone.

Associate
The one area of tech i dont know much about its phones....but i badly need a new one...my current one is one of those v old orange ones with lights that flash down there sides...and they no longer flash.

So, what im after is:

Decent memory for mp3s.(probably external)
Basic camera.
good GPS display/capability.
Good organizer PDA ability.
Decent battery life.

And maybe internet, im not entirely clear how internet works on phones....

I dont use my phone massively im on payg, but i wouldnt rule out a cheaper mobile internet contract, tho a phone contract with lots of time and texts would be pretty pointless for me.

So im really kinda lost when it comes to phones need some help, thanks.

If i hadto buy a phone and stay on payg, id be able to go £300 or so. not much more.

Oh on orange atm and like my number.

Associate
All that can easily be accomplished with a HTC Diamond, Touch Pro or Touch HD. Also the iPhone.

Personally I'd go for the Pro or HD as they have better screens and expandable memory.

Soldato
For £300 SIM free, the E71 is unbeatable. Especially if you want good battery life.

The only problem with all the phones mentioned (inc. the E71) is that the cameras are all pretty poor.

Associate
OP
other problem is unless im missing something the htc touch and diamond are way over £300? i did read about the htc phones but assumed they were out of my budget

Im not a big fan of i-phones....

ill take a look at the nokia one thanks :)

any thoughts on mibile internet? is there any network that does better value internet without going contract?

Last edited:
Associate
if you are looking to pay silly money for a phone and want mobile internet, you are much better off going contract anyway.

that's true, the charges for mobile internet on PAYG mean it's better to get it on contract. Which instantly brings the HTC range straight into play.

Soldato
One thing I found when looking at phones recently is that most new phones don't have good battery life (compared to say a w810 which lasts anything upto a week). Shaving an extra 2mm off the thickness of the battery/phones seems to take priority. Holding out for a good battery will really restrict your choice of phone.

Associate
One thing I found when looking at phones recently is that most new phones don't have good battery life (compared to say a w810 which lasts anything upto a week). Shaving an extra 2mm off the thickness of the battery/phones seems to take priority. Holding out for a good battery will really restrict your choice of phone.

I don't think it's anything to do with trying to make phones compact. It's a fact of life with phones that have every feature under the sun WILL use their batteries more heavily. Most PDA/Phone users will have bluetooth/GPS/WiFi running some or all of the day, not to mention a data connection. all sap energy like a chain smoker consumes cigarettes.

Associate
OP
sooo excuse my complete phone noobishness , is it possible to get a contract where im not paying loads for talk time and texts ill never use and can instead pay monthly for x amount of internet download?

I literally dont use even 100 mins a month talking. Ive been looking at a lot of contracts trying to find good inet ones but most seem to depend on massive amounts of minutes for the good(htc) phones...

sooo excuse my complete phone noobishness , is it possible to get a contract where im not paying loads for talk time and texts ill never use and can instead pay monthly for x amount of internet download?

I literally dont use even 100 mins a month talking. Ive been looking at a lot of contracts trying to find good inet ones but most seem to depend on massive amounts of minutes for the good(htc) phones...

Cheap(er) contracts usually cut the allowace of mins or texts by a serious amount, for pittance savings.
The majority of the cost per month is due to the phone. I got my c902 for £107.50 off ebay and use pay and go....I was very very close to getting an 18 month contract but I decided, for me, it was not worth it - As I don not want/need 600mins and 600 texts or whatever, and the fiver-a-month cheaper contracts cut that right right down to 150mins 150texts.

If I wanted a flagship model phone I would go for a contract everytime!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ignoring the internet the main thing i was looking at was getting something to use as an organiser as well as having good gps and mp3, and an ok camera for occasional work use...i think i might wait till after xmas, maybe some more second hands will be around from ppl upgrading to the new i-clones

failing that ill buy a cheap gps and a serperate phone like a razr or something for a lot lot less..

Back
Top Bottom