Bailiffs permitted to use physical force against homeowners

Soldato
This is stupid imo, if it has to be done it should be the police. This is going to cause all kinds of crazy lawsuits.

The police have to carry recognised ID. A baliff on the other hand has no proof he is not simply a theif. He could have some ID but it wouldn't mean anything, it might have a name with a random company on and his picture but it could still be a rapist.

Break into my house and I would quite happily use self defence.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is stupid, every student house I've lived in we've had baliffs come round and threaten to take our stuff. Why? Because a previous tennant didn't settle his/her bills when moving out.

This. The person who lived in this flat before us has an unpaid debt with Paypal I believe.
I think I'd be tempted to stab someone who tried to break into the flat to steal our **** for someone else's debt.

Debt collectors, slimy weasley ****s.

Last edited:
Associate
Speaking from experience of a complete financial breakdown of close relatives debt collection agencies send letters, make phone calls and generally send an old man round in a rep mobile once a week. If that doesnt work they just resort to sending letters and phone calls again. Creditors who get law firms on the case generally do the same then go to court, dont agree with the monthly payments agreed by the court, appeal and get no where. Some will then make charges on property etc thinking its got equity in it but then find out its not so resort back to letters and phone calls. This is all in the space of 1 year and still no creditor has got any more money then whats already being paid. So long as payments agreed by the courts are being met then a true court appointed bailiff will never show up.

Soldato
They give money to people that can't afford it then complain when they don't pay it back. The people borrowing the money knowing they cant pay it back are usually idiots so the company should use some common sense when lending. But no look at the adverts, they make it look like it is a good idea for everyone to get a loan and it will sort out all our problems. I would rather see these companies go bankrpt than have baliffs breaking into peoples homes.

Ocean Finance etc.

Soldato
Currently keep getting threats from a £150 unpaid bill from the previous homeowner going back 8 years or so now, they cant get in into their thick heads he doesnt live here. Hopefully they'll use some force, break my nose or something and I can suit for a tidy sum :)

Caporegime
Currently keep getting threats from a £150 unpaid bill from the previous homeowner going back 8 years or so now, they cant get in into their thick heads he doesnt live here. Hopefully they'll use some force, break my nose or something and I can suit for a tidy sum :)

yeah we get about 3-4 letter s week for 3 different people all from bailiffs. they arn;t addressed to the house though just the post code so everyone must get them.. SOme of them have a different address on the inside :/

Soldato
This could be intresting to me and my housemates, the people who used to live here get letters every week from bailiffs , worked out they must owe about 13k between the 5 of them

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This is concerning as i get letters bailiff letters for previous owners of one of my houses quite regularly. Are these bailiffs really likely to check properly before they break into my house illegally?

Soldato
If the bailiffs don't already actually come and visit your house you are probably fine, this just allows them to break in instead of asking to come in.

Worrying to hear how many people are harrassed by bailiffs for no reason...

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If the bailiffs don't already actually come and visit your house you are probably fine, this just allows them to break in instead of asking to come in.

After enough non reply and final warnings, they could well decide to visit. Thats my concern.

Permabanned
arent you allowed to defend your property? If I was a farmer and had a sign "trespassers will be shot" and "beware of big dog" can I shoot the bailiff entering my home and then set my dog on him for good measure?

"Reason for non collection - Got shot, dog bites to face, rushed to hospital".

Caporegime
You're not allowed to harm trespassers at all, its a fast way to go to jail.

Don't agree with that :(

You are allowed to defend yourself, with a hell of a lot of force if you find some who has broken into your house, if they have wondered onto your garden you can ask them to leave. Once they;ve kicked your door in threatened to take your stuff, and threatened to physically attack you, then you can whack them round the face with a golf club, if you think it's what you need to do to defend yourself.

Soldato
Yet another step towards a police state. Nothing better than giving civilians power over others to ensure loyalty. Simple psychology for simple minded citizens governed by greed and a blinkered view of the world. Seriously, wake the **** up people.

Fight this at every opportunity. :(

Again our goverment is showing its true colours! Im sick of all this, everyday im hearing about new stuff from different sources and mp's trying to push forward crazy things. Its no longer great to be britain :(

Man of Honour
Ocean Finance etc.
Meh. If you think they're bad, try Provident Personal Credit. :/

You are allowed to defend yourself, with a hell of a lot of force
You can defend your person with reasonable force. This does not mean beating the **** out of/stabbing/shooting someone unless you are in immediate fear of severe harm (and even then you will be expected to defend your actions). Also, it's harm to you, not your property.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom