Driving in snow

Soldato
What to do in different cars when they go sideways is fairly irrelevant, if you're going sideways, you're going too fast.

What?

The slightest turn in the road or on the wheel results in instant sideways action and no amount of correcting will get you out of. Regardless of how fast you're going.

like I said I got sideways at a snails pace.

Soldato
Yep, 320d, DSC on, no problem. In fact I had no problem driving it in such a manner that the DSC never even kicked in.

Snow can't have been that bad then, in the last bowt of snow my car wouldnt move at all with dsc enabled, i had to put it in snow mode just to get off my driveway :p

Soldato
Snow can't have been that bad then, in the last bowt of snow my car wouldnt move at all with dsc enabled, i had to put it in snow mode just to get off my driveway :p

Even if it wasn't "that bad" DSC is very sensitive and it would have kicked in and made it's self very aware that it was active.

Soldato
Anyone still awake stick BBC News 24 on.

Shock horror as multiple high end high powered RWD cars aren't going ANYWHERE in heavy snow. Showed an E39 5 Series and Mercedes going absoloutely no where and then a Corsa and A3 zipping past without issue :p

Wait until you Southern noobs drive in some real weather :p

Soldato
Just got back from Dover (driving a 44 tonner) ... That was.... Interesting.

The thing to do with snow driving is to THINK AHEAD. Don't let things "just happen". If you see the gap closing then gently back off. Gently use cadence braking.

Speed has little to do with it.. Until someone does something stupid.

Lots of prix on the M25 doing 22mph tonight with their fog lights blazing. <-- as though dazzling the crap out of people behind will somehow save them.

Soldato
even i struggled. but then i aint got skinny tyres no more lol. Most people are being sensible out there but i saw two or 3 driving around like "normal" (ie 40 in a 30). was also tailgated then agressively overtaken by someone too...dam idiots.

Lots of prix on the M25 doing 22mph tonight with their fog lights blazing. <-- as though dazzling the crap out of people behind will somehow save them.

from the traffic cameras (from trafficengland website) around the dartford area + when i drove over it, the M25 looked like it was down to 1 lane, so to be honest maybe being careful was the right thing to do? better to be safe than sorry...

Last edited:
Soldato
In the last cold snap we had a few weeks ago when we had some now here in the Midlands I found driving my 330 around here on all the ungritted roads a real nightmare. It took me about 15 minutes to even get the car off my drive one evening, I would pull off and I couldnt even get enough grip to turn the wheesl so I was slithering in the middile of the road unable to pull forward and turn. I had to 'rock' the car from reverse to drive on the spot to actually get enough traction to get it moving forward again (good tip that, one my Dad gave me, and it worked for me). I did eventually get it off the drive of course but it was quite an experience for something so, seemgly simple, then then I had to move it forward it a straight line about 20m to the end of the roar and turn left, that was easier said than done, actually getting any traction to move forward took me a while, I finally managed to creep ever so slowly, just using engine compression to pull me forward was still causing the traction control to go nuts.

All the fwd cars were driving about like everything was more or less ok, I had trouble even keeping my car in a semi-straight line driving down a road near me that had not be gritted and was iced over, the dodgy camber didn't help much either.

My car is a total pig to drive in the snow and ice, I came so close to having several accidents despite me hardly moving at all, just trying to get around corners near where I live without sliding and hitting someones parked car. Hopefully the Council grits this time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it's finally started to get a bit heavier here! Could see the road 10 minutes ago

TWP_1176.jpg

This is a video from ITV Local news from december when we last had snow, my car is in it, it's famous! :D

http://www.yournews.itvlocal.com/Clip.aspx?key=D9E322A95F96C67F

Soldato
In the last cold snap we had a few weeks ago when we had some now here in the Midlands I found driving my 330 around here on all the ungritted roads a real nightmare. It took me about 15 minutes to even get the car off my drive one evening, I would pull off and I couldnt even get enough grip to turn the wheesl so I was slithering in the middile of the road unable to pull forward and turn. I had to 'rock' the car from reverse to drive on the spot to actually get enough traction to get it moving forward again (good tip that, one my Dad gave me, and it worked for me). I did eventually get it off the drive of course but it was quite an expwerience for something so, seemgly simple.

All the fwd cars were driving about like everything was more or less ok, I had trouble even keeping my car in a semi-straight line driving down a road near me that had not be gritted and was iced over, the dodgy camber didn't help much.

My car is a total pig to drive in the snow and ice, I came so close to having several accidents despite me hardly moving at all, just trying to get around corners near where I live without sliding and hitting someones parked car. Hopefully the Council grits this time.

Yep, pretty much the same experience I had. Why on earth I didn't bother turning round and going back home is beyond me :rolleyes:

I learnt if it's ever that bad again to simply get out and stop driving.

Luckily don't have to be out in it later today so hopefully it's gone by Tuesday.

Man of Honour
just about to walk out front door here and ride to work on ZX10 ... snow doesn't look too deep though :), wish me luck lol

i think the only hard bit will be the steep hill out of my road.. might be interesting

enjoy your heaters :(

Last edited:
Soldato
We have about 4 inches of snow here. The taxi had just picked ny wife uo to take her to the station, but I'm not even going to attempt it until the roads have been cleared by other nutters. As confident a driver as I am, I can spot a potential problem, and that amount of snow makes me uncomfortable.
I'd rather stay here until it looks less dangerous.

Man of Honour
I got up early to put Kate's old Golf wheels on the back of the Manta (skinny and deeper "chunky" tread but I can't find the sodding locking wheel nut so I'm just going to have to wing it. I'll have to drive about half a mile in the wrong direction as I won't be able to turn around in the junction just past the house, tried that last time and ended up crabbing diagonally out of it spinning the wheels in 4th just trying to get moving.
Remember the Manta has 90bhp on a good day, this is not a powerful car!

Snow chains would be a godsend, they are honestly a fantastic thing to use.

Saying that a Dodge Ram just passed my house at something like 60mph. Not sure how he's going to cope when he gets to the hill up to the roundabout if he carries on like that.

Work is going to be chaos today, we'll have delays all over the shop. Anyone expecting parcels delivered today, please be understanding if and when it doesn't turn up :D

Back
Top Bottom