Driving in snow

Soldato
Oh dear I think I better leave my car in the parking lot, only started driving this week after passing in Dec 07 and this is probably a bit too much of a practice for me! Even more embarassing though is the fact that my parents aren't letting me drive either :p

Associate
had to drive to london today....was fun as hell, so many cars kerbed! do people just not anticipate braking nowdays or something? abs making us lazy?!

Soldato
I think BMW actually states to switch the DSC off if stuck in snow, or moving off, then when the car is then in motion re-engage the DSC :)

Something along the lines of:

In some driving conditions it may prove helpful to deactivate Stability Control to improve traction, e.g. rocking the vehicle out of a hollow, or when the wheels have sunk into the surface, and pulling away (or driving uphill) in deep snow or on a loose surface.

Consult your owners manual.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Posting from phone on M25 car park, absolute nightmare :D Snow driving isnt the hard bit, its avoiding the traffic caused by idiot truckers which cause the closure of motorway

Don
Took me 2hrs to get the 8 miles from Twyford to Reading this morning. Mainly due to the amount of tools on the road.
One woman in a mini decided to slam her brakes on in the middle of a (icy) hill, flick the hazards on and get out of the car thus blocking the road.

Soldato
I'd like to officially state now that driving a 330i Sport in the snow is not impossible. You just have to be unconventional. My dad tried, he gave up and said it wasn't gonna work. I just liberally applied power and wheelspan up the hill. People might have been thinking "what an arse", but the people in Focus's and Vectra's can stay at the bottom of the hill for all I care :p

Soldato
Well, that wasn't so hard, looks like everywhere else does here in Hursley.

I'm certainly not taking that ungritted unclassified single track lane on the way home. Fortunately I found a mini right where I got stuck, bit of teamwork later and I'm going again. Mini just kept sliding into the ditch, fortunately he lived nearby.

Don
My Lexus has a mode marked "Snow". It should be marked "I'm a tool and can't moderate my throttle usage" because all it seens to do is limit the amount of poo I can give the engine.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
My Lexus has a mode marked "Snow". It should be marked "I'm a tool and can't moderate my throttle usage" because all it seens to do is limit the amount of poo I can give the engine.

Probably changes the gearbox/ABS/TC profiles too much like merc's "winter" mode

Dup

Dup

Soldato
The SAAB as a winter mode. Starts the car in 2nd instead of first I think. I should read the manual bit I'll let Amanda figure out what it does :D

Soldato
I decided to brave it and wish I hadn't.
The first challenge was getting off my estate. My car has decided that it will go straight ahead, regardless of how progressively I steer the car and how smooth I am with the throttle. I've bumped a couple of kerbs as it just slid sideways. No damage thankfully.
Then I approached the end of a minor road which is a turning off a main road.
I left myself about 50 feet to brake from about 10 mph. The car just slid. And slid. And slid. I was releasing the brakes and reapplying them gently but the car just would not stop. I ended up sliding onto the main road making a car have to take evasive action to avoid hitting me.

I honestly could not have been driving any slower. I daresay that my snow skill need improving, but I can honestly say that Khumo Ecsta's are not a good snow tyre.
I've given up and am at home this morning at least. I left the car at the edge of the estate and walked back through the snow.

Soldato
ok, that was really scary, but got to work, had to perfect the old two foot snow plough technique

gotta love HID / LED lighting in blizzards, cuts right through it :)

Any advice on riding in this sort of weather? Never rode in snow, but to be fair around here there isn't any on the road, it just melts. But I am worried returning at 9pm or so when roads haven't had much traffic and could potentially freeze... Obviously id be doing about 10 mph most of the way, but other then that?

Soldato
Keep your feet down in preparation to take the weight of the bike. Keep the revs low and don't lean into corners as much as you would do normally.
I can ride in snow, I just can't drive in snow!

Man of Honour
Any advice on riding in this sort of weather? Never rode in snow, but to be fair around here there isn't any on the road, it just melts. But I am worried returning at 9pm or so when roads haven't had much traffic and could potentially freeze... Obviously id be doing about 10 mph most of the way, but other then that?

just keep bike in the tracks left by cars, if road is straight you can get up to 30-40 no probs, but once corners come up slow right down so bike does not lean at all. cars will hate you but tough :)

when road goes total white out though you must drag your feet, dig your boot heels or toes in to try and get contact with road.. if you keep feet flat it's a waste of time.

problem is stopping, and if you get any hills your in deep trouble.. especially downhill. if your going uphill dont stop for anything, you wont get going again

i bottled it on a steep downhill today as knew I had to turn left at bottom into indust estate, got to bottom and slowed to stop... even with front brake full on while stationary bike started to slide down on own so just let go of brake and got rolling, better to be rolling than sliding.

scary stuff but also abit of fun. (I think the fear of smashing expensive fairing up gets adrenalin rushing)

oh even dropped kerbs become impassable objects, you'll prolly need a push..

try not to be tempted to get off a heavy'ish bike and walk / push it, you'll just fall over and take bike with you. best to stay on the thing and keep it upright.... or if your stuck fold down side stand then get off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom