What ye make of my following upgrade choices?

Associate
What do you make of my following (unnescessary) upgrade choices?

Howdy all,

Thinking of treating myself to an upgrade. Some parts may not need to be upgraded (case etc) Just doing a bit of preliminary research and this is what I am looking at so far.

Current........................................Possible Upgrades
Motherboard:Asus P5Q.................Asus P6T
Graphics: HD4870.........................GTX 295 or HD 4890 or wait
CPU: Q6600.................................i7 920
Memory: OCZ PC6400 4GB.............Corsair Dominator 6GB PC3-14400C9
Harddrive: Samsung F1 1TB
Sound Card: X-Fi XtremeGamer.......Asus Xonar D2X 7.1
PSU: Corsair 620watt.....................upgrade needed?
Monitor: Samsung 22" 2026 CW
Speakers: Logitech Z-2300
Case: P182 Limited Edition
Keyboard Saitek II........................Razer Tarantula/Lycosa

Any advice would be grateful. Some might say I don't need and upgrade but I do like to have my system up to date!

I am hearing great things about the xonar card but I am a bit worried with their performance in games.

Any recommendations for other parts welcome too!

Last edited:
Associate
What do you use your pc for?

Tbh it really isn't worth upgrading considering your current system, a 4890 wont be a good upgrade from a 4870, just isn't worth it considering the performance gain.

The only upgrade i would recommend would be your monitor to a 24" - 1900x1200; Thats where the GTX 295 would kick in.

Associate
OP
What do you use your pc for?

Tbh it really isn't worth upgrading considering your current system, a 4890 wont be a good upgrade from a 4870, just isn't worth it considering the performance gain.

The only upgrade i would recommend would be your monitor to a 24" - 1900x1200; Thats where the GTX 295 would kick in.

Well I use it for a bit of gaming, bit of mp3's listening, college work and general surfing!

I guess I just get a kick out of knowing I have a top pc! :p

Soldato
In my opinion:

You need a monitor upgrade first.

Then, to compliment that upgrade, you need another/a better GPU.

Then, to avoid bottlenecking the GPU power, you'll want i7 (although a Q6600 might cope).

Associate
OP
In my opinion:

You need a monitor upgrade first.

Then, to compliment that upgrade, you need another/a better GPU.

Then, to avoid bottlenecking the GPU power, you'll want i7 (although a Q6600 might cope).

Thanks for that, I never really gave the monitor much thought as I like the one I have.

Associate
OP
i'd go the i7 route and leave the rest of the setup as it is.

I always find it hard to make decisions on these things as you will get a lot of people saying thats its a great product, lightining fast etc then one person will turn around and say its not worth it and its enough for me to think I am making a wrong decision! :confused:

Soldato
Thanks for that, I never really gave the monitor much thought as I like the one I have.

I phrased that badly, really. You don't NEED a monitor upgrade, but I reckon in order to justify a GPU upgrade (especially a 295), you should get a 24" monitor.

Of course, it's entirely up to you. I'm sure, at one point, you're going to end up upgrading all three parts of it. You've just got to decide which order.

Personally, if you go to upgrade your monitor, it should be 24". If you upgrade your GPU, it should be a significant jump, like a 4870X2 (this would be handy actually, as then you could tri-fire with your current 4870), or a 295. If you upgrade your CPU, it should be i7.

What do you want? Is your primary use gaming, or desktop use? i7 would make everything feel more instant and multi-taskable, a GPU would obviously give better game performance and detail, whereas a monitor would give you more gaming and desktop real estate, as well as a better picture.

If you were on dual core right now, I'd vote for the i7 upgrade, but you have a well balanced system as it is, so I think whichever part you upgrade is entirely choice.

Soldato
Like everyone said you don't need to upgrade.

However, it sounds like you do have some of the symptoms of upgraditis. So like mp said, I would go for the i7 route - just upgrade the CPU, MOBO, RAM.

Soldato
I always find it hard to make decisions on these things as you will get a lot of people saying thats its a great product, lightining fast etc then one person will turn around and say its not worth it and its enough for me to think I am making a wrong decision! :confused:

cos your system as a whole is pretty decent, and would need a fair upgrade to be enough of an improvement to what you have to make it worth while.

as Danneh asked, what do you use the system for, also are you noticing it falter in performance during a gaming session or some video encoding etc ?

Back
Top Bottom